Has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR FAMILIES WDW Attendance?

How has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR Attendance

• No effect. Absorbed all price changes without changing itineraries and are content with atmosphere

Votes: 82 18.1%
  • No effect yet. However, recent changes have us planning to reduce our WDW spending.

Votes: 89 19.6%
  • Attendance the same, but we have cut back on ADR's, hotel quality/location, etc.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go less often, but still splurge when we do go.

Votes: 15 3.3%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go just once, but still splurge.

Votes: 18 4.0%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we go every other year.

Votes: 76 16.7%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go every once in a while. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 26 5.7%
  • We used to have higher tier passes. Now we have lower tier passes.

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • We used to have passes. Now we don't have passes.

Votes: 86 18.9%

• Total voters

eliza61nyc

Ok so after passing the 400 vote mark here are some interesting results in the poll so far:

1) More people say they have dropped their annual passes than say they are not changing their spending/attendance at all.

2) 20.2% of voters who used to go to WDW semi-regularly or even multiple times a year now say they do not plan to go back at all.

3) "We're all good" voters have dropped to 18.5% meaning 81.5% of all voters say the pricing or atmosphere cuts have already caused them to reduce their WDW plans and spending or will cause them to reduce future visits and/or spending. It seems the more people that are asked the lower the "we like everything perfectly fine" percentage drops. I would love to see what random polls of people from various cities would show.

Well first you would have to get an objective audience and poll. I mean people have been whining here about Disney for the last how many years, did you think this was objective or random sampling? Next the question itself skews to a certain audience.

I would think one of the easiest ways to tell is if the parks undergo a precipitous, consistent drop in attendance. Didn't someone post that 3rd quarter bookings were down??

VaderTron

Original Poster
Well first you would have to get an objective audience and poll. I mean people have been whining here about Disney for the last how many years, did you think this was objective or random sampling? Next the question itself skews to a certain audience.

I would think one of the easiest ways to tell is if the parks undergo a precipitous, consistent drop in attendance. Didn't someone post that 3rd quarter bookings were down??
The percentage of Disney addicts is higher here than any random sampling you would get from everyday people. If anything the numbers are skewed in favor of the "I will pay anything, just give me my Disney fix" people. That's what makes these results so eye-opening.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

People on a Disney forum are LESS likely to take pricing into consideration than the tens of millions of people who travel to Disney parks each year that are not “big fans”

So objectivity is irrelevant...more damning, actually
The percentage of Disney addicts is higher here than any random sampling you would get from everyday people. If anything the numbers are skewed in favor of the "I wil pay anything, just give me my Disney fix" people. That's what makes these results so eye-opening.
👆🏻

21stamps

This is the guy at the funeral who tells the widow, "Well, no sense in living in the past. He's dead and not coming back. May as well get used to it. You can be upset and cling to the past memories, but why be negative. Move on and enjoy your life."

Zero empathy, and very self-centered viewpoint. "It doesn't bother me so why are you upset?" 🙄

Did you seriously just compare paid-options at a theme park to becoming a widow?

eliza61nyc

People on a Disney forum are LESS likely to take pricing into consideration than the tens of millions of people who travel to Disney parks each year that are not “big fans”

So objectivity is irrelevant...more damning, actually

👆🏻
but here's my thought, and I could be wrong. People here complain BUT still go and that makes these results worthless. for example remember a while back, I can't remember who posted the thread but basically it was a list of 20 things that the poster found wrong on his latest trip and then a few post later he admitted that they had a good time and he could not wait to book his next trip. it was fairly recent.

So my question is, ok 82% "claim" they are dissatisfied yada yada yada and then next post they've got a countdown calendar on the signature, what does this poll really tell you? people complain? big news there

Ok so let me back up Sir, what's this post designed to predict? that folks here hate the direction the parks are going? lol, an alien reading this site for could pretty much figure that one out within 5 minutes reading. I believe you yourself have admitted to complaining about the parks for oh five years now? Is there supposed to be some correlation between these results and the future of the parks?

Last edited:

21stamps

lol as a women who lost her husband to cancer a few years back, I was scratching my head to that also.
I’m sorry for your loss. As a sole parent of a child with one living parent, that was the most egregious comparison that I have ever seen.
Absolutely insane words in that post.

Oh, and no @VaderTron , most people don’t spend their days crying about what used to be/should be/could be, after losing a loved one...they are living to life to the fullest.

If you feel that WDW offering a few options to a market who wants those options, is the equivalent to losing your spouse., then seek help- quickly. Run, don’t walk.

Get some flippin’ perspective.

Last edited:

VaderTron

Original Poster
Did you seriously just compare paid-options at a theme park to becoming a widow?

The analogy highlights how your comments regarding the need to stop complaining about what has been lost and clinging to memories from the past can been seen by others as unfeeling and insensitive. To underscore that point I used an example of something that nearly everyone (I would hope) would see as unfeeling and insensitive to draw the point out. Unfortunately it often takes extreme comparisons for some people to get the point as "common understanding" isn't so common any more these days.

In all cases of those who have lost a loved one, I certainly offer my sincerest condolence. I've lost close family myself, but never had to grieve for a marriage mate. One of the toughest losses.

VaderTron

Original Poster
but here's my thought, and I could be wrong. People here complain BUT still go and that makes these results worthless. for example remember a while back, I can't remember who posted the thread but basically it was a list of 20 things that the poster found wrong on his latest trip and then a few post later he admitted that they had a good time and he could not wait to book his next trip. it was fairly recent.

So my question is, ok 82% "claim" they are dissatisfied yada yada yada and then next post they've got a countdown calendar on the signature, what does this poll really tell you? people complain? big news there

Ok so let me back up Sir, what's this post designed to predict? that folks here hate the direction the parks are going? lol, an alien reading this site for could pretty much figure that one out within 5 minutes reading. I believe you yourself have admitted to complaining about the parks for oh five years now? Is there supposed to be some correlation between these results and the future of the parks?

If we want to question the poll results we can. But we would have to do that across the board which would include the other 18%. They "claim" nothing has changed in their spending or attending, but then when they see the new prices on their next visit for snacks, menu items, deluxe hotel rooms, or souvenirs are they really going to pay whatever is asked without cutting back in a single area? Are they really attending the same number of days per trip or even taking the same number of trips?

You will note, too, that only 20% have said they aren't going to WDW anymore. The other 62% say they are cutting back on what they spend or the number of visits they make. All of that is relevant to WDW because it all equals the same thing: lost revenue.

VaderTron

Original Poster
I’m sorry for your loss. As a sole parent of a child with one living parent, that was the most egregious comparison that I have ever seen.
Absolutely insane words in that post.

Oh, and no @VaderTron , most people don’t spend their days crying about what used to be/should be/could be, after losing a loved one...they are living to life to the fullest.

If you feel that WDW offering a few options to a market who wants those options, is the equivalent to losing your spouse., then seek help- quickly. Run, don’t walk.

Get some flippin’ perspective.

...Wow...and just when I though you might understand empathy...

21stamps

The analogy highlights how your comments regarding the need to stop complaining about what has been lost and clinging to memories from the past can been seen by others as unfeeling and insensitive. To underscore that point I used an example of something that nearly everyone (I would hope) would see as unfeeling and insensitive to draw the point out. Unfortunately it often takes extreme comparisons for some people to get the point as "common understanding" isn't so common any more these days.

In all cases of those who have lost a loved one, I certainly offer my sincerest condolence. I've lost close family myself, but never had to grieve for a marriage mate. One of the toughest losses.

There is no common understanding to be had when you are so far off the deep end that you start making comparisons between a funeral and the option to add a dessert party to a Disney trip. 🤦‍♀️

You may have a personality where you view to them as equivalent, one that causes you to get stuck in a moment of time, never moving past it... always wishing that things would never change, unable to accept change...always looking at a half empty glass.

Someone wouldn’t be alone in that type of personality.. though rest assured, you share this earth with millions who chose to look for positives instead of negatives. Times change, trends change, prices change, life changes. It is what it is.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

No...that’s a fair point.

What changes that dynamic is what if the people here actually have done what they threatened and go less? In a “boom” economy (which is crap...but whatever)?

That’s a huge problem for Disney.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The point was of his analogy was to convey the obtuse/absurd stance to tell people to “get over it” when you don’t share/want to consider that opinion...

Obviously you can’t literally make a comparison of a funeral...because the levity is off. But fundamentally the point is valid. The delivery is a tad “rough”.

Both my parents had stage 3/4 cancer when i was 13. One was eaten alive over 18 months (I wish that was an metaphor...but it’s not) and the other lasted about 14 years (a “success” in many ways) but was never the same so I kinda raised myself.
Sucks, huh?

I’m not offended by this. I’m more offended (slightly) with the tone deaf (and frankly off topic) “get over it” stuff.

The tone/example doesn’t change the point.

Say it’s not death? What if someone told an adult who was dumped by their spouse with a better offer - leaving them with children/responsibilities - to “get over it”? “So you lost your boyfriend/girlfriend...it happens...get over it. Where’s my parkhopper?”

That’s more serious than Disney, but less serious than death. Would that be insensitive? Probably...but fundamentally different? No.

We can probably safely step back from the ledge here. (No...that doesn’t mean I’m telling anyone to “get over” a suicide...”just as long as you don’t spoil my magical vacations”)

Last edited:

21stamps

Say it’s not death? What if someone told an adult who was dumped by their spouse with a better offer - leaving them with children/responsibilities - to “get over it”? “So you lost your boyfriend/girlfriend...it happens...get over it.

maybe this is the fundamental difference in personalities in people in general.

Some may think that wallowing in self pity is the correct choice whenever life throws a curveball... or their preferred entertainment destination gets more expensive than it was before.
Some other do get over it, do move on, do make changes and choices- first and foremost the choice to not wallow in the past.

It all comes down to a choice. Person A will never be happy, no matter what., and probably was not completely happy in the Disney World of the 80s or 90s either. That type of personality will always find something to complain about.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
maybe this is the fundamental difference in personalities in people in general.

Some may think that wallowing in self pity is the correct choice whenever life throws a curveball... or their preferred entertainment destination gets more expensive than it was before.
Some other do get over it, do move on, do make changes and choices- first and foremost the choice to not wallow in the past.

It all comes down to a choice. Person A will never be happy, no matter what., and probably was not completely happy in the Disney World of the 80s or 90s either. That type of personality will always find something to complain about.
So basically “I’m gonna keep saying what I’m gonna say”?

Ok. Didn’t need the confirmation...but Ok

21stamps

So basically “I’m gonna keep saying what I’m gonna say”?

Ok. Didn’t need the confirmation...but Ok

Here’s some free advice-
Sometimes problems and disappointments are solved by looking inward, not outward.

Though it is much easier to choose the latter, especially those evil corporations like Disney.

I love and hate Apple at the same time., I love their products, hate the price. I don’t need their products, but I want them, so I buy them.
I hate looking at a cell phone bill, but I need a cell phone.
I hate the price of Disney resorts, but if I want to go- I’ll pay them.
I hate the price of a lot of things.. but I make a choice to purchase or not purchase based on the value I see.

Everyone’s perception of “value” is different.
We have thread after thread, post after post of “omg Disney is evil and they owe me the same price and trip as I once had at a different point in time! Who’s with me?” “Here’s a poll to prove that I’m not alone in my thoughts! I have Justification!!”

All of it boils down to something so simple- A choice to take advantage of a luxury, or not.
Disney World is not a need. It is a want. It is not life or death. It is an entertainment venue.

Last edited:

21stamps

Here’s some advice: you are not in a position to teach life skills.

This is a Disney discussion forum.

Continue complaining.. by all means. Let me know when Disney stops offering options that sell out consistently, and goes back to the exact way the you want them. In a world that no longer exists.
I’ll await the tag.

Sans Souci

I let my AP lapse last month. I didn't feel the value was there for me anymore. Out of my family of three, I was the only one who was going anymore. My 17 year old son has aged out of Disney. My husband got tired of scheduling rides when he spends his work days in scheduled meetings.

My husband wants to go on a 4 night Disney cruise next Fall, followed up by a few days at Food and Wine. He hasn't been since 2016 and I think he might be a little surprised at how things have changed since our last family trip. :hilarious:

Edited to Add: I did get a survey from WDW late August about annual passes. It was asked me if I was planning on renewing, it presented me a page with boxes to tick asking me to select the benefits I know I receive as an AP holder. I was also asked to articulate why I was not renewing when I indicated I was not. I simply said the cost has met my consumer willingness to pay.

I don't know if anyone else here got this survey? I wonder if they are trying to determine if they've reached AP market equilibrium with survey data and other types of data?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom