Has Disney ever had a fire similar to Universal

rcapolete

Original Poster
After seeing the footage from the Universal in Ca fire, it got me thinking. Has there ever been a similar type of fire at any Disney park.

rcapolete

Original Poster
There is a fire raging @ King Kong in Universal CA and a couple of other building that has reportedly destroyed the ride and part of New York ave

Disneykidder

I just saw the story. What a shame. All of King Kong? I hope no one was injured, The article asid they "may" have been filming at the time. It doesn't state how it even started, though?

WDW Monorail

There have been countless brush fires in WDW, both un-intentional and intentional.

There was also a fire aboard monorail Silver in 1986 completly destryoing the last 2 cars.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Park wise, thankfully there hasn`t been a major fire I`m aware of. WDWs EPCOT Code is undoubtedly to thank for that. There has been some minor kitchen fires, and a rooftop in DLPs Fantasyland caught fire a few years ago from a firework, but touch wood nothing on the USH scale.

It has to be the nightmare of park ops - a fire in an unusual building full of tourists (USH was thankfully closed when the fire began) It`s certainly my nightmare. SSE springs to mind; routes are clearly signed and lit, the supression & venting system is second to none, Central should detect a problem before any fire can start, but how do you evacuate a Geosphere with only 2 stairwells and a lift shaft if the fire is on the lowest level? Not meaning to scaremonger; the chances of it happening are so tiny.

I guess this is something we are just more aware of with todays demand for in-your-face action attractions with flame and fire effects, propane gas storage and pipes, spark effects, smoke and darkness. Think about the E Tickets in Orlando with all this; Catastrophe Canyon, Indy, Kali, Jurrassic Park, Spiderman, MIB, Twister, Earthquake, The Mummy etc. etc. - no wonder R&D and design is as much about safety as it is about the show.

kadesha

, Central should detect a problem before any fire can start, but how do you evacuate a Geosphere with only 2 stairwells and a lift shaft if the fire is on the lowest level? Not meaning to scaremonger; the chances of it happening are so tiny.

Oh gosh!! Everytime I find myself on the "top" of SE, this thought will cross my mind now!!!

smk

" massive fire Sunday at Universal Studios destroyed the building housing the King Kong exhibit and damaged a video library vault, officials said. " (from cnn.com)

The fire is not in the park....it is in the studio next to the park, it houses the video vault that hold the exhibits and videos. The park is not on fire, nor or the rides....the opening of the theme park has been delayed by 3 hours but the park it self is not on fire.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
^ follow the link in post #4. New York Square and King Kong are gone, as is a tape transfer library (not a vault) - with nothing irreplacable lost.

The park opens at noon today, the tram tour will reopen tomorrow.

maelstrom

" massive fire Sunday at Universal Studios destroyed the building housing the King Kong exhibit and damaged a video library vault, officials said. " (from cnn.com)

The fire is not in the park....it is in the studio next to the park, it houses the video vault that hold the exhibits and videos. The park is not on fire, nor or the rides....the opening of the theme park has been delayed by 3 hours but the park it self is not on fire.

King Kong is definitely park area as the studio tour goes through there.

Luckily the fire is not on the upper level and not in the regular themepark area of the lower level. But the studio tour definitely.

apatten22

It looks as if Hill Valley from Back to the Future has been almost if not totally destroyed from the fire. That was a highlight of mine from the tour. It will be missed.

smk

King Kong is definitely park area as the studio tour goes through there.

Luckily the fire is not on the upper level and not in the regular themepark area of the lower level. But the studio tour definitely.

King Kong the ride or the just an exhibit? I understood it to be just an exhibit and the ride (like I rode one time in Universal Florida) was fine.

maryszhi

i can only think of the monorail one, but park/attraction wise i dont think so.

also for the question about the vault: there is one that has protection from ever element(fire, flood, tornado , exc.) i think disney has one to.

TinkerbellTara

Universal Hollywood

King Kong the ride or the just an exhibit? I understood it to be just an exhibit and the ride (like I rode one time in Universal Florida) was fine.

The Uni park out here has a very different style backlot tour. The tour has a King-Kong and an Earthquake section which are basically miniature versions of the rides at Uni Orlando. The King-Kong section is destroyed as is the Courthouse scene from Back to the Future and 2 New York production streets. The fire started before dawn while a commercial was being filmed in the area. My first thought that the Backdraft attraction had gone array since it's an attraction that features pretty much nothing but lots and lots or fire. As of now I think the fire has been contained, but driving by this morning around 11ish it was still ablaze and the smoke was horrible.

maelstrom

Hollywood's King Kong ride is/was part of the studio tour, not a separate ride like in Orlando.

BiggerTigger

From the news report I heard (and may not be as accurate) that this is the second time King Kong attraction has burnt down along with New York street. I think the fire was in 1990, but they rebuilt. Hoping they rebuild again as this is a great attraction when I rode it.
It truely was a shock to hear about the fire and thankful that the injuries were minor.

maelstrom

From the news report I heard (and may not be as accurate) that this is the second time King Kong attraction has burnt down along with New York street. I think the fire was in 1990, but they rebuilt. Hoping they rebuild again as this is a great attraction when I rode it.
It truely was a shock to hear about the fire and thankful that the injuries were minor.

King Kong was spared in 1990 as far as I know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom