Has anyone ever requested the "best seats" on Flight of Passage?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Honestly despite what people may lead you to believe, most guests do not have attitudes. I am a former themepark employee and found that the majority of people are friendly. If I ask a CM for a certain seat (which only happens on Splash) and they refused it would not bother me, that is why it is a request not a demand
When did you work there? Because I certainly hardly ever met groups of smiling guests unless they were causing trouble or I gave thwur Kid a free sticker or coin.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It was a Six Flags Park and 95% of people are friendly.
Yea. That’s because park guests at Six Flags are VERY much different than guests at Disney. You ain’t got anybody telling a six flags worker “Wow. I cant believe you’re ruining the magic like this for us. I thought this was Six Flags!”

Again. There’s a reason why the workers at Universal are happier.

jaklgreen

Ah. You’re one of those “you youngsters would be better if...” people. I get it now.

As you have displayed in your original post, the way theme Park guests treat people my age and other “younger” cast members is, a majority of the time, very much different in comparison to someone older.

I still remember having my training badge on for Pirates and this tall older gentleman comes up to me and asks “I have a Fastpasses but I’m 5 minutes early. Can I get In the fastpass line?” I say “Yes sir! As long as you’re no more than 5 minutes early you’re more than welcome to come in.” He then says “Better watch what you say, little trainee. Can I see you manager?” I say “Sure” And I phone one of our leaders, the older lady comes down. The old guy says “This young man told me I could come in the fastpass line early. You should probably correct him on that!”

Then my leader just tells him exactly the same freaking thing I already Said. And he goes “oh, my bad.” in an apologetic voice.

And that’s only one of MANY incidents at pirates I could Explain. The park guests that act THAT entitled can make the park guests that ask for small entitlements can really start to lean a cast member on edge.

I have been in customer service for 30 years. I can definitely say that customers treat younger people much worse. Men, especially, are very rude and condescending to young females. Many are big bullies and try to intimidate the young woman into giving them free stuff. It is actually quite shocking at some of the behaviors of these grown ups toward young people, who are doing no wrong. I have stepped in more then once to stop someone from berating a young employee who was doing nothing wrong. They see my 45 year old Mama bear face and immediately sing a different tune. There is zero reason to be rude to anyone doing their job. If you want something, ask nicely. Don't bully.

jaklgreen

And that attitude is the reason I would never hire someone like you to deal with guests. Though sadly it seems more and more people like you are getting hired by Disney because the quality of the CM's has dropped over the years.

To be fair here, as I have just posted, I have been in customer service for 30 years. What I can say as a definite is that the way the general public treat people in these "anyone can do" jobs had declined dramatically in the last decade. It used to be that you would get a sour person every few months. That is easy to brush off. Now it is a daily occurrence to be yelled at and treated lower then a dog by the customer. That is just not right. Think about it, if you went into your job and were berated daily by others, how long would it be before it started to get to you? Now get paid $10/hour and think how long you would keep a sunny disposition day after day after day being treated like crap. It is a form of mental and verbal abuse. And if your boss or co-workers did this to you, you could sue them for creating a hostile work environment. Why is it OK for a customer to do this? It is NOT. No one should be verbally abused for just doing their job, no one.

thomas998

To be fair here, as I have just posted, I have been in customer service for 30 years. What I can say as a definite is that the way the general public treat people in these "anyone can do" jobs had declined dramatically in the last decade. It used to be that you would get a sour person every few months. That is easy to brush off. Now it is a daily occurrence to be yelled at and treated lower then a dog by the customer. That is just not right. Think about it, if you went into your job and were berated daily by others, how long would it be before it started to get to you? Now get paid $10/hour and think how long you would keep a sunny disposition day after day after day being treated like crap. It is a form of mental and verbal abuse. And if your boss or co-workers did this to you, you could sue them for creating a hostile work environment. Why is it OK for a customer to do this? It is NOT. No one should be verbally abused for just doing their job, no one.
The reality is there are some jobs that really should have a high turnover and not be places where people work for 20 or 30 years. Flight attendants are the best example and anyone that's flown on a US flight where its not uncommon to have a 40 or 50 year old flight attendant vs a foreign airline where they will often replace them when they turn 30 will know of the difference. People get burnt out in a job, and one where you deal with people that will often be complaining are really going to burn out at some point. When burn out happens the best for everyone involved is for the person to find a different job. I have noticed that in theme parks when the CM is a college hire they seem to be a bit happier than the employee that you can tell has been working at Disney for a long time.

In the end having a job anywhere is not a right and it would be great if people hired as CM at Disney were hired for a limited time and then replaced regardless of whether they person wanted to continue working or not. Sure you might lose some people with lots of knowledge but you would also be insuring the burn outs moved on to something else which would be in everyone's best interest.

Rich T

The reality is there are some jobs that really should have a high turnover and not be places where people work for 20 or 30 years. Flight attendants are the best example and anyone that's flown on a US flight where its not uncommon to have a 40 or 50 year old flight attendant vs a foreign airline where they will often replace them when they turn 30 will know of the difference. People get burnt out in a job, and one where you deal with people that will often be complaining are really going to burn out at some point. When burn out happens the best for everyone involved is for the person to find a different job. I have noticed that in theme parks when the CM is a college hire they seem to be a bit happier than the employee that you can tell has been working at Disney for a long time.

In the end having a job anywhere is not a right and it would be great if people hired as CM at Disney were hired for a limited time and then replaced regardless of whether they person wanted to continue working or not. Sure you might lose some people with lots of knowledge but you would also be insuring the burn outs moved on to something else which would be in everyone's best interest.
Some of the very best Disneyland CMs are the older people who've been there for many, many years. I wouldn't want to lose them for anything.
(EDIT)
And I sure don't mind 40 or 50 year old flight attendants with good attitudes, and---yes--I've experienced that as well.

jloucks

It is not ok. It is that entitlement thing again. How you treat those that serve you says everything about you as a person.

jaklgreen

Some of the reason that turnover is so high is because it is NOT a job that just "anyone" can do. Many people actually struggle to do the job. Dealing with the public is a special skill, just like anything else. Some people are born with a brain toward engineering, or numbers, or mechanics, etc. You put them in any other scenario and they will not do well. It's the same thing for jobs like food service. Everyone acts as if just anyone can do it, usually those who have never actually worked in food for any amount of time. There is a skill, and a temperament that it requires. I bake and I am good at it. It is not something that just anyone can do. Should I stop doing what I love and what I am good at because the customers are jerks? I should just "move on" to do what? My job is just as necessary in society as any other job. That does not make me beneath a CPA, or lawyer, or doctor. They are doing what they are good at, I am doing what I am good at. We need each other for a healthy society. So I don't understand why so many people in this Country look down on these jobs and the people who work them. They are needed. The problem has never been the actual physical job. It is the public that treats these employees like they are beneath them. That is what has to stop. Your idea to fire people just to turn them over is ludicrous. How would you like to be fired for nothing and loose your means of supporting your family?

Prince-1

I'll be going to Pandora with my friend (his first time) next week and would love to get a seat right in the center because when I rode it the first time I was off to the side and though still incredible, the warped, off-center view was a little distracting.

Is it worth asking for the best seat and would they even oblige me?

Also, we'll be in line without a fastpass tuesday morning at rope drop. Do they send the first riders through the fastpass line because I really want my friend to see the lab and avatar body.

Haven’t read the entire thread but we ask for certain seats on FoP as well as Soarin all the time and we usually get it every time. We may have to wait a bit longer but it’s worth it. And the times we can’t get it we sit where we are assigned and still enjoy the rides.

NormC

Haven’t read the entire thread but we ask for certain seats on FoP as well as Soarin all the time and we usually get it every time. We may have to wait a bit longer but it’s worth it. And the times we can’t get it we sit where we are assigned and still enjoy the rides.
Don't bother, it is a bunch of arguing. Answer was on first page.

thomas998

Some of the reason that turnover is so high is because it is NOT a job that just "anyone" can do. Many people actually struggle to do the job. Dealing with the public is a special skill, just like anything else. Some people are born with a brain toward engineering, or numbers, or mechanics, etc. You put them in any other scenario and they will not do well. It's the same thing for jobs like food service. Everyone acts as if just anyone can do it, usually those who have never actually worked in food for any amount of time. There is a skill, and a temperament that it requires. I bake and I am good at it. It is not something that just anyone can do. Should I stop doing what I love and what I am good at because the customers are jerks? I should just "move on" to do what? My job is just as necessary in society as any other job. That does not make me beneath a CPA, or lawyer, or doctor. They are doing what they are good at, I am doing what I am good at. We need each other for a healthy society. So I don't understand why so many people in this Country look down on these jobs and the people who work them. They are needed. The problem has never been the actual physical job. It is the public that treats these employees like they are beneath them. That is what has to stop. Your idea to fire people just to turn them over is ludicrous. How would you like to be fired for nothing and loose your means of supporting your family?
How do you think the turnover works in other countries where the flight attendants are replaced when they turn 30? It isn't a bad thing, the flight attendants know going into the job that it is only temporary for X number of years at most. No different from many jobs in the US where you know it is only for a certain amount of time. Your problem is you are assuming that employees have a right to a jobs with an employers, no one has a right to a job, having a job should always be viewed as a privilege. When employee start thinking they have a right to a job, that is when you start getting bad attitudes and poor performance.

thomas998

Some of the very best Disneyland CMs are the older people who've been there for many, many years. I wouldn't want to lose them for anything.
(EDIT)
And I sure don't mind 40 or 50 year old flight attendants with good attitudes, and---yes--I've experienced that as well.
Just stick your finger in a glass of water, now pull it out that hole your finger left is just how irreplaceable any cast member is. Doesn't matter how much information they might have, the reality everyone suffers burnout eventually so it would be better to have a system in place that insured you never experienced it by moving employees out before they got to the point of hating their job and making guest miserable.

thomas998

It’s age discrimination. Sure the US airlines would want young attractive stewardesses. The other countries can get away with it because they have lax age discrimination laws.
While some states, not all, wouldn't allow you to hire only specific aged employees you could get the same effect by simply hiring people for X number of years and letting them know at the end of the time you would not renew their employment. Simply doing that and not hiring experienced flight attendants would be perfectly legal an allow an airline to avoid the burnt out employees.... Likewise you could do the same thing with CM's and not hire anyone that had previous theme park experience under the theory that you didn't want to have to untrain employees of bad habits they had from other theme parks. You can create lots of ways that would legally limit the number of old burnout employees which is what you really would want to do with CMs where bad attitudes can be toxic to your customers experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom