Has anyone ever had to tell a little white lie about their trip to WDW?

bethymouse

I booked our trip for June 9-14. I thought we'd be out of school, but turns out we have to make up 5 snow days not 3!:( When we went September 2012, I did not lie to my boss about taking off ( I had never done this before, and will never do it again sadly). She was livid! But, I did it anyway because I had the days to take! I may have to take a day or 2 off ( June 10 & 11). The kids last day should be June 6 w/ a teacher day on the 7th. I will not be there for prep and closing ( teacher days). I will have to call it "emergency leave" and come up w/ a lie unfortunately!:( I know it's horrible, but it's been a tough year, and I am so looking forward to my trip! I may even be switching schools for next year and would have to uproot my boys as well. Any thoughts, comments, own experiences would be appreciated!;)

Spikerdink

I was working as a teacher in a school that I could not wait to leave (I had resigned and was just finishing out my year). It got to be so bad that when I would drive to the school and made a certain turn, my body would start to tense and I would often lose feeling in my face due to the tension.... anyway, we had a number of snow days and the district took away the Friday before Memorial Day. I had booked a trip to go to Disney expecting that we would have that day off, so I had to call in sick from Disney. (Hey, it was partly true - I was sick of working there.)

Another time I lied, but wasn't about going to Disney....when I was in grad school final exams were coming up and I really needed to study, so I called in sick with the flu.

Damn if a week later I actually got the flu and had to explain how I got sick all over again.

Upvote 0

Sans Souci

I don't know, Beth. What emergency will you tell your co-workers you had (and they will probably ask)? Will you create a greater work load for someone else in your absence? Is there any way you can postpone your vacation for a few days.

This is has been my experience with lying: it comes back to me and in a big way. When I was in grad school, I was burning the candle at both ends and I just needed to skip a class. This class took attendance and you lost points for missing class. (Yes, in grad school, where everyone is supposed to an adult.) If you had an emergency, it did not count against you. I lied and said my son was sick with a fever. What happened? The next week he came down with a stomach virus. Not only that, every time was sick, he never made it to bathroom. I spent the entire evening, from dusk 'til dawn, cleaning up bodily fluids and I had class in the morning! Of course, I caught it, too.

It's your choice, obviously. I am just telling you my experience. I think it's a lot of work to cover up a lie like that and if your boss was angry with you about not lying; think about how angry she will be if she finds out you were lying. She might mistrust you going forward.

What does your "gut" tell you to do?

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Original Poster
I was working as a teacher in a school that I could not wait to leave (I had resigned and was just finishing out my year). It got to be so bad that when I would drive to the school and made a certain turn, my body would start to tense and I would often lose feeling in my face due to the tension.... anyway, we had a number of snow days and the district took away the Friday before Memorial Day. I had booked a trip to go to Disney expecting that we would have that day off, so I had to call in sick from Disney. (Hey, it was partly true - I was sick of working there.)

Another time I lied, but wasn't about going to Disney....when I was in grad school final exams were coming up and I really needed to study, so I called in sick with the flu.

Damn if a week later I actually got the flu and had to explain how I got sick all over again.
Yep- that's my experience as well w/ telling lies! They always come back and bite you in the butte!:eek:

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Original Poster
I say do it!!! Just say that it is a personal family emergency. If pressed for details them you are not going to discuss the situation. Maybe it's different in public service but in the private world you have to look out for #1 first.
Thanks Uncle Lupe!:) You should not have to explain any personal details to anyone I believe! If you have the days to take, then you should take them as you please. IMHO.:)

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Original Poster
I got lucky and got the teacher work days off, I needed for my next trip... But they where mandatory so I had to work it out. @bethymouse I feel bad for you. I really hope you can work it out... :)
I will. Hopefully during that last "fill-in" week of school, I can get some things put away and complete the end of the year paperwork as needed. I will also stay after school to do this! Thanks dear!;)

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Original Poster
She might mistrust you going forward.
She has already told me , " I trust my 'veteran teachers' 100% of the time. I trust you about 95% of the time!". Yep- I was floored when she said that a while back. I may have only been working at that school for 3 years, and in the county for 3 1/2, but I had been teaching since 1991 ( 20 plus years of experience). She's just a meanie that's all! :( My gut tells me to go ahead and do it, but try not to tell a lie, and just tell her I won't be in those teacher days due to a family situation. She'll probably ask what it is...
I will assure her of course that the work will be done and that no one else will have to do it!
At this point, however, I am thinking about changing schools!:( It's been pretty tough. Almost borderline harassment!:( Sorry to rant on about this, but my family time is more important than my job ( as long as I get the job done-which I always do!).

Upvote 0

disneycouple07

We were leaving for WDW on September 12, 2008. On August 30th, we were forced to evacuate for Hurricane Gustav. We were excused from work from then to that following Wednesday. Which meant I would have to go back to work for that Thursday (for one day). I had nothing ready or packed so I lied and said we were without electricity. I did bring my computer with me and checked e-mail at night while on vacation. Looking back, I should have told the truth. My boss would have let me off anyway!

Upvote 0

Sans Souci

She might mistrust you going forward.
She has already told me , " I trust my 'veteran teachers' 100% of the time. I trust you about 95% of the time!". Yep- I was floored when she said that a while back. I may have only been working at that school for 3 years, and in the county for 3 1/2, but I had been teaching since 1991 ( 20 plus years of experience). She's just a meanie that's all! :( My gut tells me to go ahead and do it, but try not to tell a lie, and just tell her I won't be in those teacher days due to a family situation. She'll probably ask what it is...
I will assure her of course that the work will be done and that no one else will have to do it!
At this point, however, I am thinking about changing schools!:( It's been pretty tough. Almost borderline harassment!:( Sorry to rant on about this, but my family time is more important than my job ( as long as I get the job done-which I always do!).

That stinks and I really hope you can make it work. Or better yet change schools, it's no fun knowing your boss doesn't rate you.:(

When I said about telling people your emergency, I meant what would you tell your co-workers? Wouldn't they be concerned about you? That is what I meant. Then you might have to craft a story. I don't know the specifics of your situation.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

My mom is a teacher and it's like this with vacay time. I don't know if any of the teachers really feel trusted...i.e. everyone is kind of walking on eggshells due to uptight admins and the state running the education system into the ground. She often has to be very "creative" when it comes to requesting time off. She certainly doesn't abuse it and I know her subs appreciate the work time and $, but her excuse is often that we're flying in to visit. In many cases this is close to the truth- but it's often more that they're flying out here or meeting us here...and it's rarely more than 1 day for which she has to present such an excuse.

I can't really give you any practical advice based on my work life and blocking vacay time as it's so different outside of the world of education. If anything, our system is a lot like Disney dining except that there's no +10 booking option if you have a trip planned:rolleyes: . Our calendar opens up 90 days out and if it's a hot day/time frame- you have to get in early to be one of the first 3 in our area to book the day OR beg, plead, and beg some more if you miss out. I haven't heard people go with much in the way of excuses...just a "look, I'm already on the calendar for 5 of the 6 days I need and since I won't be here- I'm just going to call in sick if you don't block off the day for me as well."

My advice...be careful. Even if you're thinking of changing schools- things like this can follow you.

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
Although I feel for you I sucked it up on Friday marched myself in the school of my ds and explained the situation I was in ( we are also 1 day over) I was scared but it all worked out! In my case in was a little easier my ds found out about our trip while in the er with 2 broken bones! Principal and school nurse were there keeping him calm until I arrived. So they heard part of what I was saying as we were keeping him calm until the seditives kicked in. I guess they figure any kid who breaks 2 bones got surgery and tried to sneak into class the next am while I was dropping of paperwork deserves to be in the world for SWW!!

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

My son's school always sent home a letter stating that you shouldn't take you child out of school and that things such as Disney are what school vacations are for. I sent them a letter stating that some of us don't get 15 weeks vacation a year! I then sent the school a letter stating that my son's grandfather had passed away and that we would be in Florida for a week for services and resolve personal issues. After 1st grade we did schedule trips during school vacations but before first grade, and as he attended 2 years of preschool, we did not see any harm in a late spring trip.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

ME!!! I am doing everything I can to keep it a secret.

I have no issue telling the school my child is sick or something. As long as y child's education is being held back by putting kids in her classroom that are not at grade level, cannot speak English, and occupy 95% of the teacher's time, I will take her out of school.

For those that think I am crazy, my wife teaches at the school.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom