Has anyone ever done a REALLY spontaneous trip to WDW?

Chrononymous

In a week it will be my birthday!

and today my mom and I...along with my spouse... started talking about just hopping on a plane and going to Disney for a quick three day break.

well...an expensive quick break! :ROFLOL:

We are always talking and planning about going there...but we have NEVER done a trip with so little time to prepare!

We have been there more than a dozen times between us,(except for the spouse) so it's not like we don't know what to expect. And we are experienced in the marathon Park Hopping.

Has any of you done this kind of sudden one week spontaneous thing before? Is it even possible?

lbrad

In a week it will be my birthday!

and today my mom and I...along with my spouse... started talking about just hopping on a plane and going to Disney for a quick three day break.

well...an expensive quick break! :ROFLOL:

We are always talking and planning about going there...but we have NEVER done a trip with so little time to prepare!

We have been there more than a dozen times between us,(except for the spouse) so it's not like we don't know what to expect. And we are experienced in the marathon Park Hopping.

Has any of you done this kind of sudden one week spontaneous thing before? Is it even possible?

Anything is possible:) "A dream is a wish your heart makes"...go and have a HaPpY bIrThDaY:sohappy:

Upvote 0

mickey7879

In March/April 08, dh and I kept talking on how we'd like to go someplace warm since we were sick of the snow. After a few snow storms later, dh came home on a Thursday and the next Friday we were in Florida! I got online that night and booked our hotel and plane tickets. Our ds was only 7 months old at the time, so it was a little stressful trying to pack everything we'd need for him. We stayed off property since we got an awesome deal at a 1 bedroom timeshare and rented a car. We only went to Disney once to the Pirate and Princess Party. We also visited Downtown Disney for a day, the Contemporary for dinner at Chef Mickey's (couldn't believe we were able to get reservations at such short notice!) and went to Sea World. Then we headed for the beach for 3 nights in a suite right on the ocean in Melbourne.

We've traveled so much, not only to Disney, that for us a short notice trip isn't that big of a deal. Besides packing for our son, the rest was a breeze! So much fun too to say you're going to Disney in less than a week and you only started planning it!

Upvote 0

goodtimes5286

i dont ever really 'plan' our trips out, but last march my dad flew in from tennessee or connecticut on a thursday. I asked him if he wanted to go to disney saturday n he was very ehhhh about it. friday night he told me to wake him up at early n saturday morning we were on our way :)

now thats how you say goodbye to space mountain!

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

Nope, never done that. It takes us the better part of a year to save up the cash to go as it is...But I think it sounds like it would be so much fun, to think it, and do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a ball! :):)

Upvote 0

WRE4ever

My fam hopped in the car just to go to the soft opening of Everest I had no clue we were going....I got picked up from school...jumped in the car...and I was told we were going to Disney World haha..... and we live in PA

Upvote 0

marcriss

We did it about 8 years ago, the weekend before Thanksgiving we decided we wanted to go the day after Thanksgiving. We got great fares and a room at WL. Back then there were no real problems getting into any restaurant. We left Black Friday morning (from NY) and were on our way into Animal Kingdom by noon. We were giddy it was so much fun! Go for it!

Upvote 0

Chrononymous

Original Poster
Thanks again, everyone!
It's good to know that it CAN be done!

Sadly...looks like it won't be done this time however. :(

The money isn't here in time, and I missed a deadline for work.

Looks like we will actually plan...for September/October
Which is really one of my favorite times to go anyway....

Upvote 0

Cap10_Mickey

Last year, yes indeedy. My city called for mandatory evac due to an approaching hurricane. We decided to hit the road for WDW on Friday and arrived on Saturday. (Had to stop about halfway) We stayed offsite, due to my mini dachshund needing to go with us. Nonetheless, it was a great time! Definitely would use WDW again for any and all future evacs! (Which are necessarily spur of the moment).

Upvote 0

Highland_Holly

We found flights last year for $8 each way on Dec. 16th... booked for January 4th-10th. We had less than 3 weeks to plan AND the holidays right in the middle of it. Great trip... bought 5 nts at Saratoga Springs on eBay for $300. Total flights for 5 people (w/ tax & fees) was $184. Cheapest trip ever. :)

Upvote 0

WishandDream

Last September we had a trip planned for the Florida Keys and then found out that Hurricane Ike would be ruining our plans. So, we flew into Miami and then drove up to Cocoa Beach and Orlando instead! It was my DH first time at DisneyWorld (we stayed offsite) and that wasn't what I had originally planned for his first visit. But, it was great because it wasn't busy at all and we were able to do most everything we wanted with only three days and no ADRs! :)

I don't know that I would do it again, because I enjoy the planning process and Disney trips are expensive (so we don't go that often). But for our situation it turned out great!

Upvote 0

TakeMeThere81

We've actually taken 3 spontaneous trips to WDW. That is the only way we can go since DH's schedule keeps him here and our time off notice is null. November 08 basically on Friday afternoon DH says, Hey lets go...and we did. Same with Jan and again in May. The first two trips were short, a long weekend only, and we stayed off property. May trip was longer, almost a week long and we stayed again off property. So far it hasn't been worth it to stay on property at such late notice.

ADRs can be a challenge. We just go with what we can get and it usually works out well. We even got into Hoop De Doo Musical Revue!

Have fun! Go, go, for cryin' out loud just GOOO! It will be great.

Upvote 0

Mouseketeer09

Try all the time..lol. My sister works for WDW in Entertainment and she told my mom once that she HAD to come down to see her over Easter. My mom was back and forth about it, and 4 days before Easter she called WDW and said, "I dont care where I stay or how much it is...all I need is 1 room for one night." and she got a room in Polynesian for sat night. She was in and out of WDW in 24 hours!! :wave:

Upvote 0

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Growing up in St. Petersburg, my parents would wake up on Saturday morning and decide we were going to WDW for the weekend! We did that more times than I could count. It's some of my favorite memories from childhood. :D

Upvote 0

Blonde Princess

We live in NJ. We have decided Friday morning to go. We have packed fast and left right after work aroiund 5 p.m. DH,our 2 sons and I drove 16 hours to disney. Called for room along the way. Stayed over Saturday. Did all day in the parks. Did a half day on Sunday in parks. Left around 1:30 p.m and drove home, in time to shower, get kids to schooland go to work. It was exhausting but sooo worth it. Our friends thought we were nuts! Our kids then 4 and 7 now 9 and 12 still remember it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom