Has anybody been to WDW at age 4 and remembered it?

durhay

Original Poster
I'm currently planning our next trip which will be my son's first. He's almost 2 and I'm thinking he should at least be 4 before he goes so he can remember it. (BTW by "planning" I mean watching the Vacation Planner video nightly and sighing heavily). My first memories are of a vacation my family took to Texas. My memory of visiting the Alamo is my dad getting his hand stamped. I have a memory of being in a room filled with heads on clear glass stands. This apparently was the Dallas school book depository/museum, where my sister bought a bust of JFK. Since WDW isn't cheap, and the next trip after his first will be several years later, I want him to not only enjoy himself but be able to remember it, and remember it not as a bunch of fragmented memories. Has anyone been to WDW at an early age and remembered it well?

Erika

I went a month shy of 3 and remember bits and pieces. My earliest memories are of my uncle's wedding a couple of months earlier.

And there are a lot of things I remember from age 4 (big year for me- got a new baby brother :) )

My husband, on the other hand, has pretty much forgotten everything that happened before he was 10.

Whether your son will remember it or not is pretty much a toss-up, but you can bet that he will have the time of his life. :wave:

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I remember being that old and going. I don't remember a lot though. I just can recall that we'd have those loud, old, blue pleather/metal strollers for me and that whenever I needed a nap, we'd go to the tiki room! I never watched it all the way through without sleeping until i was like 10! :D

disneyfamily

I actually have some old black and white photos of my family at WDW in 1974 (when I was four). The clothes and the hair style are hilarious.

What I remember is standing alot. There used to be a movie that chronicled Walts life and I think it was behind the mock movie theatre on Main St. You had to stand and watch it, and I remember having to stand and watch a cartoon before going in and seeing the Disney character symphony.

Also the Haunted Mansion seemed alot scarier back then, and 20k under the sea was my favorite ride.

SirNim

I went at age 7.... And remember Alot... I went at age 2.... And remember Squat.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

-Nonfiction Poetry by SirNimajneb.

cindy_k

Don't worry about your child remembering the details. They will remember the feelings. That we had a good time on vacation feelings.

Also its for you to remember, just take lots of pictures and you can then show them the pictures later.

Have a blast on vacation!

Cindy in NY:sohappy:

BRER STITCH

WOW....I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday! :lol:

I know I have always told my family to wait until their kids were at least 5 before taking them.

It just seemed that if they were in Kindergarten already, then they would be more used to being around strangers, have less need for a nap, and be able to do more things for themselves (get dressed, tie shoes, feed themselves, etc) that would take some burden off the parents.

Also, (and I am just guessing) with better communication skills at that age, they would be better able to let you know what they really liked or did not like at the parks.

This seemd to work with my sister's and brother's kids. Five was the age. Plus -- they all loved being able to go back to school and share their trip memories with their classmates!

Hmmm....wonder if I ate anything for breakfast this morning??

:veryconfu :lol:

EchoOfOphelia

I first went when I was 4 years old and I can't say that I remember being there specifically. But when I look at pictures from that trip, I do definately remember certain things. I think 5 or 6 would be a great age to go there. 4 is probably still to young to go on much of anything.

nikimsu2002

I went when I was 4, almost 5 and I only remember bits and pieces. I remember who I went with (my parents, brother, aunt, uncle, and 2 cousins), where we stayed (one of the treehouses), and a few things that we did on the trip. I remember the little houses in Mickey's Birthday Land, meeting Mickey, and a few other things in the parks. I also remember playing ring around the rosie at the bus stop with my uncle and cousins. However, I'm sure some of this comes from the home videos we have of the trip.

Erika

Originally posted by EchoOfOphelia
I first went when I was 4 years old and I can't say that I remember being there specifically. But when I look at pictures from that trip, I do definately remember certain things. I think 5 or 6 would be a great age to go there. 4 is probably still to young to go on much of anything.

I think there are a lot of things for a 4 year old to do-

Of course when I first went there was only MK and it's true I dragged my parents onto IASW 847387387543 times- Peter Pan was a close second favorite. :) Both of those rides are great for young children. And there are many others.

It's true that with a four year old there will be certain things you won't be able to do- and certain things you'll have to do- LOL- but I still think it's a good age as long as he is able to go at his own pace.

crazygirley

When I was three years old, my family and I went to Magic Kingdom. There were these musicians on Main Street, and we got up to watch them. I remember standing there watching, and they asked me to come dance with them. I recall vividly being very timid and afraid, only standing up there for a few pictures before I ran back to my mom. I actually still have the pictures.

jmarc63

Well every childs developement is diffrent so saying one age is better than the other is speculation to someone other than the parent or other person close to them. My suggestion is to assess your childs ability to comprehend the experience and use your best judgement. I will tell you that for me . I was at Dl in 69 when I was 4/5 yo and I dont remember much if anything of that trip. But in 1970 my family and I went to the preview showing of WDW and I recall a lot for being 7 at the time, but it is kind of jumbled since the pictures we took were destroyed, then every christmas from 71 to 80 and I remember most of it all.

celestia

When i was 4 we took my first trip to WDW. It is the first thing i can remember. I do not remember the magic kingdom much, except for dumbo. What i did vividly remember was Epcot.

I LOVED the jumping fountains, and i remember figment and dreamfinder stole my figment hat and i cried like a fiend until they gave it back to me :lol:

Definately would explain why epcot is my favorite park now, when most little kids seem to hate it i think

my parents took no photographs of our time in the parks though, sadly :( I would love to look back at them. The only photos they have from that trip was feeding seagulls on the beach.

Oh, also remember rivercountry, i think thats the first time they made me wear a swimsuit, lol.

:sohappy:

WDWspider

I went at 4 and remember images and parts of the trip.

I remember ticket booths but not the tickets.

I remember If you had Wings and Mission to Mars.

I remember Snow White's Scary Adventures.

I remember closing my eyes through the Haunted Mansion Graveyard.

I remember riding the monorail through EPCOT while it was being constructed (although this may have been on another trip).

I remember riding Dumbo for the first time.

I remember wanting to ride 20,000 Leagues but my parents not wanting to wait for it.

I remember taking the boat from the parking lot to MK (still not really knowing where we were going yet). :)

BigNorm

I started going at age three and all I really remember is the Old Frontierland Train Station. I met Robin Hood out front.

I also remember Mission to Mars and Dreamflight, as well as the original Journey into Imagination, I got a Figment t-shirt that my parents still have.

figment99

I remember when I went there when I was three--I can still remember a little of what I did there. More specifically, I can still recall parts of Magic Journeys (the really old 3D film at the Magic Kingdom, and before that at Epcot), the old monorails and how they had to close each door by hand, and also what Communicore used to look like before they gutted it and turned it into Innoventions. This was also the first time I can recall ever riding JII.

JEDI1138

It doesn't really matter what age they are. I have taken my Daughter since she was six months old. Each time we went her reactions to things were different based on her age. Some kids love the characters and some are scared to death of a princess, and age matters not alot either. you child will enjoy something and relate to it with wonder and you will be thrilled and suprised at their reaction. Hence the MAGIC factor. My daughter is now six and has her favorite things to do. Remember it's: your experiences + your child + Disney = Your own unique Magic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom