Harry Potter ride/attraction at WDW

KentB3 said:
There have been rumors of a Harry Potter ride or attraction for WDW, either at Disney-MGM or EPCOT's World Showcase United Kingdom. Is this an actual planned attraction or just a rumor? If so, what will it be like?

I really Hope not... That would suck

imagineer boy

jmaxwell007 said:
oh, one little tidbit of themeing you left out of the six flags version..... they would paint the track red and yellow for harrys team color. thats huge DUDE!!!!

Holy crap!!!! That would be the best themeing ever. WDI would be put to shame. :eek:

:lol: :hammer: :lol:

Mr. Eggz

WeLComeHomE OKW said:
ok first of all.....shrek is owned by Universal because Universal and Dreamworks are in business together. Just like Pixar and Disney afilliate together, Universal and Dreamworks do. Just wanted to clear that up.

Where did you get that from? That's just not true.

WeLComeHomE OKW said:
Disney has actually acquired the rights to the Harry Potter films...they have shown the movies numerous times on ABC Family, and i think even once on ABC. The books are sold at the parks...and the music plays.

Temporary Broadcast rights are comepletely different from theme park rights. Music (w/o lyrics) played in a public place not syncronised to any visuals is free.

brich

Drop Harry Potter. I'd rather see Disney make efforts to bring in a Lord of the Rings attraction... But I think we know that'll never happen. It's ok to wish though right? :rolleyes:

KentB3

Original Poster
shareadream said:
If they were to build a HP attraction it would be very exciting because my family love the films and it would be great because my son goes to school with the boy who plays Draco Malfoy so it would be wierd seeing him on a WDW screen.

YOU'RE KIDDING???!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Does he actually know Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy)? I bet that's really something to go to school with such a big celebrity! :animwink: :D :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Disneyfan1981

FourFourSeven said:
...As for the "what does it have to do with Disney" questions, the same can be said for Star Wars ("Star Tours"), the Twilight Zone ("Tower of Terror"), Aerosmith ("Rock 'n Roller"), and Indiana Jones (both the stuntshow and the Disneyland ride)...

The difference is that Star Tours, Indy are Lucas own properties whom he has signed an exclusive deal with Disney to use. Lucas has even been quoted as saying if we couldn't put his own theme park together he'd want no one else but Disney to handle his properties. The Twilight Zone is another property Disney is paying for but its not exclusive to a studio with a park. Rock 'n Roller Coaster is something the Imagineers planned and Aerosmith was brought into the give it that finishing touch, also Disney doesn't really own any stars even those on Radio Disney.

Harry Potter is a completely different medium is like bringing in Bugs Bunny to greet guests at the entrances.

lewisc

Disneyfan1981 said:
The difference is that Star Tours, Indy are Lucas own properties whom he has signed an exclusive deal with Disney to use. Lucas has even been quoted as saying if we couldn't put his own theme park together he'd want no one else but Disney to handle his properties. The Twilight Zone is another property Disney is paying for but its not exclusive to a studio with a park. Rock 'n Roller Coaster is something the Imagineers planned and Aerosmith was brought into the give it that finishing touch, also Disney doesn't really own any stars even those on Radio Disney.

Harry Potter is a completely different medium is like bringing in Bugs Bunny to greet guests at the entrances.

None of us have the slightest idea if a movie studio currently owns the theme park rights to HP. The HP books were huge best sellers. It's very possible the author retained theme park rights. Lucas retained theme park rights to Star Wars. Remember the first Star Wars movie was a 20th Century Fox movie. Lucas was able to retain theme park, merchandising rights and I think sequel rights.

A better example would be Pooh. Disney is paying, or at least is supposed to be paying, licensing royalties.

KentB3

Original Poster
I do know that J.K. Rowling demands a LOT of her input and say-so about what would go into a Harry Potter themed ride and/or attraction (as well as the series of Harry Potter movies), and whether Disney would work this out to her wishes remains to be seen!

Number_6

DisneyFreak529 said:
There is no way this could ever happend. It's like every one said, Warner brothers owns the rights to Harry Potter. You will see it happen in Six Flags before you ever see a bit of Harry Potter at WDW or any Disney park.
Warner Bros. owns the rights to the movies only. And they only optioned the first four books to be movies at that. It is assumed that with the success they have had that they will have no problem optioning the remaining books to be movies, but other than that, they don't really have anything else. If the images used on a piece of merchandise show scenes and actors from the film, then they get a percentage. If it's the style of the illustrations from the books and whatnot, they don't get any of that since it is not under their perview. It is not clear if Warner Bros does or does not own Theme Park rights. The only one that would have a definitive answer is JKR herself. Until she comes out and says 'I've given such-and-such company the right to make a theme park attraction based on my books" I won't rule anything out as possible, but I won't promote the idea that it would definitely go to any one park over the other either.

Disneyfan1981 said:
Keep Disney authentic and strictly Disney Owned and Licensed products..
Because Disney owns Star Wars and Indy, right? :rolleyes: They paid the license fees to Lucas to have those properties in their park. Same with paying for Twilight Zone with ToT. And extra cash on that one since they needed Rod Serling's likeness, most likely. If they paid the license fees to JKR for HP to be in the parks, then it really wouldn't be any different than paying Lucas for Star Wars and Indy.

Halfling418

Mr. Eggz said:
Temporary Broadcast rights are comepletely different from theme park rights. Music (w/o lyrics) played in a public place not syncronised to any visuals is free.

True true. Harry Potter music was playing at Howl-o-Scream at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. It's allowed.

And has anyone noticed that the Atlantis ride at Sea World plays the theme song to Beetlejuice? I found it so strange, and was actually kind of annoyed--all I can think of is Beetlejuice(which I love and grew up with), and I'm putting that music to the legend of Atlantis...weird. One of the major reasons I noticed this was that just the previous day, I was in Universal Studios, and saw the Beetlejuice show for the second time.

Number_6

Halfling418 said:
True true. Harry Potter music was playing at Howl-o-Scream at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. It's allowed.

And has anyone noticed that the Atlantis ride at Sea World plays the theme song to Beetlejuice? I found it so strange, and was actually kind of annoyed--all I can think of is Beetlejuice(which I love and grew up with), and I'm putting that music to the legend of Atlantis...weird. One of the major reasons I noticed this was that just the previous day, I was in Universal Studios, and saw the Beetlejuice show for the second time.

Yeah, I noticed that too on Journey to Atlantis. It was very strange the first time I rode it, since it seemed to have nothing to do with the ride at all.

imagineer boy

imagineer boy said:
Holy crap!!!! That would be the best themeing ever. WDI would be put to shame. :eek:

:lol: :hammer: :lol:

Okay, to whoever gave me the negative rep for that pose, I was only joking! Just wanted to clear that up.

DarkMeasures

Time Warner does not own the rights to Harry Potter. JK Rowling does. Anyway, I am pretty sure she is turning every theme park concept down right now and I am pretty sure she wont let anyone have the right anyway.

On a note. The Universal version of the Harry Potter attraction was a stunt show using the Wild Wild West stage and it would have involved magic spells and such. Nothing special really. At least I don't think I would have been pretty immersive. But I say lay off the rights until maybe 10 years after book 7 is released.

General Grizz

In case you didn't hear...

The HARRY POTTER attraction will be opening where 20K Lagoon once sat on 05/05/05...

It will be sponsored by HP...

So let's end the HYPE, okay? :p

:D :lookaroun

KentB3

Original Poster
DarkMeasures said:
Time Warner does not own the rights to Harry Potter. JK Rowling does. Anyway, I am pretty sure she is turning every theme park concept down right now and I am pretty sure she wont let anyone have the right anyway.

On a note. The Universal version of the Harry Potter attraction was a stunt show using the Wild Wild West stage and it would have involved magic spells and such. Nothing special really. At least I don't think I would have been pretty immersive. But I say lay off the rights until maybe 10 years after book 7 is released.

When did Universal plan a Harry Potter attraction? Also, did they actually get the rights and green light from J.K. Rowling to do this?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom