Harry Potter....and it looks amazing

disneysroyal411

I completely agree! The first 2 movies are very good representations of the books, but Prisoner of Azkaban is where you really need to start reading vs watching. The movies are all good and I love seeing them, but they're more eye candy than substance...IMO.

I would love to visit this attraction this year, but I think we'll wait until some of the novelty wears off, they add a few more things (saw something a while back about how this is just the beginning), and our kids are old enough to appreciate it.

And while this is a predominantly Disney site- can't we be fans of both? :shrug:

O I felt the first movie was good but then the sixth movie just got it to. I have a feeling that both parts of the seventh will be extraordinary. SPOILER

And when Dobbie dies!:cry:

MarkTwain

This looks incredible! :eek: And coming from a Harry Potter fan I had some pretty high expectations. I bet if someone were to compile a list of best-themed queues of all time, this would surely make the top 5 (as would Disneyland's Indy and MK's Pirates, as well).

What sort of technology were Dumbledore and the other characters, exactly? I initially suspected he was either a live actor or a very sophisticated AA, but some of the youtube comments were suggesting he was a hologram... :lookaroun

Disneyfanman

My understanding was that he and the others were simply screen shots done in the same digital imaging as the rest of the ride. If the ride is 3D similar to Spiderman, it should be convincing and fun.

I hate to say it, but the posted video did sort of remind me of the Simpsons ride or Back to the Future in that it's one long chase through multiple areas of film in a moving vehicle. As cool as that may be, it's a bit disappointing. One of the best things about Spiderman is that it includes set pieces that are quite spectacular, along with with 4-D effects, and a narrative that becomes more and more clear with repeat rides. It's the whole package that, to me, sets it apart from any other attraction of it's nature.

It's quite possible that these elements were not visible in the posted video but still present. Hopefully they are there and riders get to experience them and not just the video effects.

Additionally, this ride seems to be much more of a thrill experience than Spiderman. So TWWOHP has 2 of 3 attractions that cannot accommodate riders under 54 inches and TIJ cannot accommodate larger passengers? My wife can't do thrill rides of any sort. So she can shop?

I suggest that TWWOHP, as spectacular as it appears to be, suffers from the same flaw as IOA in general. That is that the ones who pay the bills can't join the kids on many of the attractions, and that the coolest theming in the world (IOA really stands above everybody else in theming) won't bring back return visitors. We are dying to go and see HP, but unless I am mistaken won't return for additional visits. And I really think that is IOAs problem with the entire park. It's really for teens alone, or for teens with parents who can withstand G forces and frequent near drowning.

My favorite memory from IOA involves the defunct Triceratops Encounter. We visited as a family and the big robosaur "sneezed" on my daughter. That had nothing to do with thrills or theming. It had to do with a simple attraction that allowed everybody to visit together having a cool memory moment. And they closed it down. I don't begrudge the loss of a single attraction anywhere, but I use it as an example of the fact that IOA is destined to be a long term also-ran in Orlando because they are very specific in the type of audience that they want to attract, and they treat anyone outside of that demographic as an afterthought. If they can be satisfied being the 7th most visited park in Orlando then more power to them. But they could be capable of so much more.

JT3000

My understanding was that he and the others were simply screen shots done in the same digital imaging as the rest of the ride. If the ride is 3D similar to Spiderman, it should be convincing and fun.

The characters in the queue are high-tech pepper's ghost effects. The screen-based portions of the ride are not 3-D.

I hate to say it, but the posted video did sort of remind me of the Simpsons ride or Back to the Future in that it's one long chase through multiple areas of film in a moving vehicle. As cool as that may be, it's a bit disappointing. One of the best things about Spiderman is that it includes set pieces that are quite spectacular, along with with 4-D effects, and a narrative that becomes more and more clear with repeat rides. It's the whole package that, to me, sets it apart from any other attraction of it's nature.

It's quite possible that these elements were not visible in the posted video but still present. Hopefully they are there and riders get to experience them and not just the video effects.

This ride has more real set pieces (including AA's) than Spider-Man, you just can't see them. The video quality is too poor.

Additionally, this ride seems to be much more of a thrill experience than Spiderman.

They're probably very similar in terms of thrill factor. However, this ride does a few things that Spider-Man cannot. It might also be questionable for younger audiences due to its "scary" effects.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Which, for what we're getting, is WAY overpriced.
Unless the backstage infrastructure is VERY extensive and costly....no way FLE as we know it should run anywhere near that number.

For some of the more intricate stuff they have planned, doesn't seem to far off to me :shrug:

jt04

I absolutely agree. What I don`t agree with is so much money being spent to reclaim land, lay utilities, expand the MK services, plan beautiful landscaping and a picture perfect environment and then not spend at least as much money on one - or more - attractions worthy of such a project. Make the M&Gs as elaborate as possible. Just also add some actual attractions of the same calibre.

I'd like to think they are designing and investing in the infrastructure with future expansion in mind. Similar to how often individual "lands" in a Disney park are not fully realized when a park opens but are deliberately designed and "plumbed" with future expansion in mind. That would go a long way in explaining the FLE's rather substantial price tag.

Lee

Adventurer
For some of the more intricate stuff they have planned, doesn't seem to far off to me :shrug:
Gonna need to share that with me, 'cause I don't know of anything that intricate going into FLE.
Anyhow, after thinking about it, I don't think they are going to be spending $400-500 million. If I recall correctly, the $500m number would have included all the original things that were subsequently cut from the expansion. (More dining, at least two more attractions.)
I see the FLE coming in at well under $400m....and not an E ticket in sight.

I'd like to think they are designing and investing in the infrastructure with future expansion in mind. Similar to how often individual "lands" in a Disney park are not fully realized when a park opens but are deliberately designed and "plumbed" with future expansion in mind. That would go a long way in explaining the FLE's rather substantial price tag.
Some sort of pre-expansion?:lol:
No.
From all the plans I have seen, there is no effort being made to allow for any further expansion back there. They could add some small stuff here and there...but not any more true expansion in Fantasyland.

Just basic movie based ride with pop up static animatronics on a moving track.When all the buzz is gone it will be a walk-on.The Q is more entertianing than the ride.

floridabill

ok, so setting aside the hilarious back-and-forth arguments between the people who aren't ready to crown the Potter ride as the greatest thing a person can experience with their clothes on vs. those who think the naysayers are in denial because their grandma's gardener's ex-BFF's sister's dog walker texted that the ride is going to be the foundation in which all future religions will be based.
Outside of us rabid theme park fans, I think there is potential for a lot of disappointment for the general public due to this thoroughly stupid advertising campaign calling Potterland the "New Harry Potter Theme Park." Most of us here already know just about everything to expect when we get there, but I imagine people getting excited about this only from those ads are going to be incredibly underwhelmed.

haha YES!! I have friends of mine that are like I can't wait to go to this new park!! And i'm like it's not a park, it's a themed land with in IOA, and they are like oh. so yes the general public may be quite disappointed. I feel bad for all those hard core fans that are going to be all dressed up in robes and stuff, hopefully they don't pass out cause of the heat:shrug: I also have a feeling you are going to encounter quite a few hard core weirdo fans as well :lol:

disneysroyal411

haha YES!! I have friends of mine that are like I can't wait to go to this new park!! And i'm like it's not a park, it's a themed land with in IOA, and they are like oh. so yes the general public may be quite disappointed. I feel bad for all those hard core fans that are going to be all dressed up in robes and stuff, hopefully they don't pass out cause of the heat:shrug: I also have a feeling you are going to encounter quite a few hard core weirdo fans as well :lol:

You probably won't encounter someone thats super hardcore like some are for star wars and star trek though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom