Happy Thought: When do you realize your at Disney World?

matt88mph

I know when I'm in Orlando when I see theme park billboards. USF, WDW, SeaWorld, it doesn't matter. When I see them, I get this feeling inside, kind of like eating 30 Yodels and then watching my favorite movie.

I know when I'm in WDW when I see those purple gates, and I realize that every square inch of land is soaked with 3.75 gallons of magic (give or take a few).

I realize that I'm in WDW and am ready for a heapload of fun when my parents hand out our tickets. (This past time I got Goofy...what a nutty guy!)

Dragonrider1227

when I see that castle or any character walk by. Spaceship Earth does it for me too. But even then, I sometimes think "No way i'm actually here. The place i've only seen on TV i'm now standing in. No way. I'm in some replica."

BigNorm

It doesn't take very long for me to realize I'm at Disney: when I see Mickey and Minnie at the gates of Downtown Disney just before hotel row (forget the name of the road).

HiddenMinnie

Last summer was our first trip to WDW. We checked into Pop Century in the morning and spent all day at AK. We went to Fort Wilderness for dinner at the Hoopdy Doo Revue (sp?). Then we took a boat over to MK to watch Wishes. When I saw the castle from the boat all lit up, I think that was the moment it hit me that we were at Disney!

splitdrums81

For me it is when we have our first breakfast before we go to the parks on the first day. That meal is at O'hana at the Polynesian, because we have never missed eating at O'hana and we always ate there since i was 4 or so, so even though the characters arent as big of a deal to me now as it was then its just being in that atmosphere in Disneyworld at O'hana.

crazydaveh

I get really excited when I jump into the car, and head down I 4! It's only a 25 mile drive, but I don't get to the world too often, so it's Krispy Kreme and then WDW!

I need the Krispy Kreme for the sugar rush at 7 in the morning!

noelanddusty

it comes in levels for me.the first used to be when we'd get on a tramand breathe in a bunch of diesel exhaust. then the monorail sounds and smells.
now that we stay at the resorts. we skip to former step 3 which is the attraction posters you walk by after the the ticket lines, especially the haunted mansion one and more recently the splash mountain. step 4 is coming up mainstreet and getting the first view of the castle. and then the final culmination of the "I'm really back in Disney World" feeling is the affore mentioned water ride smell. I wish they could bottle that stuff.

CThaddeus

The Monorail ride at MCO that has the same voice you hear in Disney World's Monorails. For me it's like getting a lei when you arrive in Hawaii.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
When I see the entrance gate on the road. Also, nothing gives me a rush like the EPCOT entrance medley. I'm an old school metal head from the 80's (Maiden, old Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, etc.) but if I had the EPCOT entrance theme on tape I would play it again and again. Of course, the point is moot since now all I listen to is Wiggles songs.

casey's catcher

Seeing the Port Orleans Riverside sign at the entrance kinda gives me a hint of the feeling I'm after, but it won't do it alone.
The Indian wooden carving in the lobby adds to it, as does the general store.
The bus stops then ensure I feel all but truly there - I just need to top it up to make sure.
So it's to MK i go; literally skipping when I get off the bus, having seen contemporary and monorails above.
The ballad of Davey Crockett; the bag checks; the stores outside the entrance - I'm nearly there; I nearly feel like I've 'arrived'.
Through the tunnel, past the attraction posters, into the square. The smell of candy in the store.
And then there it is, cinderella's castle.
Just one more thing for it, at MK at least - putting my hand in casey's mitt. It's complete, but for two more things to truly get me to that 'feeling':
It's an epcot early start, and hearing the entrance medley as you squint in the sun during the walk from bus stop 8...... and then head for a fountain view, hearing the electronic beeps of Innoventions' ditties.
As so many have said, I wish this feeling could be bottled. My Disney partner in crime would be crying by this point. 'It's only cos I need an electric umbrella bagel, Casey's Catcher; that's all'. :sohappy:

JCrane

As a UK visitor, there a quite a few monents I could mention but to name a few..

1. The moment we pass through the arrivals lounge at Orlando International Airport. Passing the Disney store and using the internal monorail to get to passport control...I can just feel the anticipation building.

2. The very first moment I step out of the cold, air-conditioned airport and am blasted with humidity and wonderful Florida heat. That's when I realise I'm on holiday...not only that, it's DISNEY!!

3. Not been for a while now (going on 5 years) but I finally realise where I am when we approach the Disney resort and the freeway signs have the little black ears popping up on top. The further along you go the more you get to see and just as you finally see Mickey in all his glory you arrive at the entrance! Woo-Hoo!!

I realise I'm rambling so I'll conclude with a few little extras. As with most people, it's the smell of the parks. Somehow it's always the same and if they could bottle it they'd make a fortune. (Well, more of a fortune!) The colours too, for me, it always seems like they've freshly painted the park through the night...such vibrant colours!! I love stepping in to Main Street's Emporium for the first time...it's so cold in there but, again, the smell just brings everything back! For some reason, the Jungle Cruise always makes me feel like I'm home. Just you're typical classic Disney ride...animatronics, water, cheesy skipper jokes!! Brilliant! The Great Movie Ride at the Studios...just something about it all, the chinese thearte, the pre-show...

I guess there are far too many to mention in one post...and what's worse is I'm just winding myself up as I won't be returning for another 8 months! I ask you...how am I supposed to get any work done now? :lol:

CoasterDesigner

I would have to say um...

seeing the tall Disney landmarks upon entry.
From World Drive

Earful Tower
Tower of Terror
Sorcerers Hat
Swan & Dolphin
Spaceship Earth
Magic Kingdom toll gates
Contemporary
Cinderella Castle

Oh and of course the disney signs.

Davidsplanet

Red shirts

When at Disney and my daughter asks, daddy why are all these guys wearing red shirts holding hands? Then I know I'm at Disney World.

kodiak5bears

I know I'm in WDW when...

I step out of the air conditioned car in March and FEEL the humidity!

Checking in at the hotel

Unpacking!!

Geting up super early and getting going (why is it I HATE getting up and moving at home, but NOT at WDW!!)

Waiting for the bus

Seeing the castle when you get to MK

How can we forget... STANDING IN LINES!!:lol:

DisneySam

For me on my last trip, it was walking into the Wilderness Lodge lobby. I just stood there took a deep breath [smell that Disney AC!] and took it all in. Wonderful.

Usually its driving under the Walt Disney World sign. We usually scream or something the first time we drive under it.

I AM READY TO GO RIGHT NOW LOL!

baloo_24

:king: I feel iam at Disney when i first walk on to Main St USA.
It just all comes together and the magic of Disney begins.. Its like "a whole new world" Reality is a thing of the past at Disney!!!!:king:

My DW and I just talked about this last weekend!!! For me, the first thing is when I step out of MCO to get on the bus to WDW, and I feel the Florida air, and see the breeze in the palm trees.
Second is checking in at the AS Movies hotel.
The BIGGEST on is when I step onto Main Street USA, and get my first look at the Castle. I always tell the Wife, "We're home!!!"
OK.....need to go NOW!(but probably won't be able to until next year.):brick: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :brick:

loriwdunn

I get excited passing under the WDW sign and entering the hotel lobby but I am completely anxious at that point. When I pass throught the train station tunnel and step onto Main Street and hear the Main Street Medley music, then I know I am there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom