Happy 40th Anniversary, WDW!

prberk

Original Poster
40 years ago today (Oct. 1), Walt Disney World officially opened to the public -- Roy Disney's final legacy dedicated to his little brother's biggest dream.

My brother happens to own Life magazine from October 15, 1971, and here is the cover...

Inside it shows Big Al, and aerial view of the seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake, and some other fun things... including an ad for KalKan as "the official dog food for Walt Disney World," saying it is used in its kennels.

It mentions the huge size of the WDW property, and briefly mentions a futuristic city to be built there later; but it mostly gives us a glimpse into the opening days of the Vacation Kingdom.

Good stuff.

Paul

Attachments

• Life - Disney World opens.jpg
    Life - Disney World opens.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 153

RedFurredCadet

Well, at least I wrote a blog post in regards to the festivities... well, no matter what's going to happen during this time. Well, anyways, happy birthday WDW, from all the way Down Under! X3

Jakester

Happy 40th Birthday Magic Kingdom, Contemporary Resort, and Polynesian Resort.

also, Happy 29th Birthday Epcot Center.

I'm about to leave for Magic Kingdom:)

dixiegirl

Wow They even had a small segment on Disney Celebrating their 40th on the news just now Here in RI !!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the most memorable place on earth!!! Thanks for all the memories past ,present and future!!!

KentB3

Happy 40th Anniversary, Walt Disney World! Wish I could be there every day! :) :D :wave: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :animwink:

mickeyforlife

40 years ago today (Oct. 1), Walt Disney World officially opened to the public -- Roy Disney's final legacy dedicated to his little brother's biggest dream.

My brother happens to own Life magazine from October 15, 1971, and here is the cover...

Inside it shows Big Al, and aerial view of the seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake, and some other fun things... including an ad for KalKan as "the official dog food for Walt Disney World," saying it is used in its kennels.

It mentions the huge size of the WDW property, and briefly mentions a futuristic city to be built there later; but it mostly gives us a glimpse into the opening days of the Vacation Kingdom.

Good stuff.

Paul

Man how lucky is he would love to have this magazine.

Lisalyn

Happy 40th Birthday WDW!!! Just got back from visiting you for a week and wish I was still there to celebrate with you...but we celebrated in our own style - see you soon! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom