Hanging man in streaching room?

Goofyernmost

I think this might be a sign of maintenance. If it returns soon we will know for sure. I'm glad that things are being kept in good shape as it's easier to have small elements missing once in a while than have a broken attraction that has to go down for a year. I guess it's a glass half-empty or half-full situation. :)
Yea, every once in a while, he demands to be hung with a new rope! I mean... who wouldn't?

baymenxpac

I hope they rework this scene someday. Not trying to be a SJW, but people all over the world have hung themselves out of desperation to end their lives. It's really not something that should be taken lightly.

For the record, I am against the changes made to the Pirates auction scene.
I understand your point and I by no means take mental health lightly! But I disagree with this sentiment as the ride's dark themes and imagery are what make it work especially the stretching room. I think the way those scenes worked are fundamentally different, for example in pirates the women being sold off are played as a joke and we are meant to smile and wave at it. The entire scene was much more in your face the women are being sold, the men are bidding on the prettiest one, it's all meant to make it part of the fun. Which it should not be. While in Haunted you are supposed to be terrified by what's happened to the body above us everything from the dialogue and jumpscare of it emphasis that! In short it's meant to evoke fear, evoke a response that makes you associate it that with negative feelings instead of enabling or glorifying!

just wanted to say that i think this is a great exchange.

i've vacillated on the pirates changes; originally, i rolled my eyes at the changes, but now in a world post-me too movement, it's made me reconsider. and i think the reasoning is spelled out very well in @Sped2424's post.

also want to @iHeartDisneylandCats that there's nothing wrong with having empathy/sympathy. i know we live in a world right now where people just scream "snowflake" or "PC" at the mere mention of showing any kind of sensitivity, but i think your post articulates very well why it might trigger negative emotions for some. the scene definitely walks the line. i'm fine with its inclusion, but also would be fine if they altered it.

anyway, well done! and i also earnestly applaud the dad joke-y puns by everyone else, too!

macefamily

Some group probably found it offensive and protested to Disney. Nowadays, any instance can be made into an issue and companies are quick to succumb to the special interests. Some call it social growth, I see it as the crumbling of society.

KBLovedDisney

The Haunted Mansion is a ride solely based on a mansion being haunted by ghost of those who had 'died' there. You even have the subject of murder being touched upon in the attic. Death is not a light subject and this ride is not for all, but as a kid who grew up loving this ride and seeing lots of death unfortunately (being dragged to funerals since I was 3...thanks mom *cough*), this ride doesn't bother me. It is lighthearted fun ride about a ghostly haunted mansion.

ETA: IMHO, death shouldn't be a taboo subject because everyone is going to die one day anyways.

With all that being said, Disney please don't take out the hanging man/Master Gracy.

Last edited:

HMF

The Haunted Mansion is a ride solely based on a mansion being haunted by ghost of those who had 'died' there. You even have the subject of murder being touched upon in the attic. Death is not a light subject and this ride is not for all, but as a kid who grew up loving this ride and seeing lots of death unfortunately (being dragged to funerals since I was 3...thanks mom *cough*), this ride doesn't bother me. It is lighthearted fun ride about a ghostly haunted mansion.

ETA: IMHO, death shouldn't be a taboo subject because everyone is going to die one day anyways.

With all that being said, Disney please don't take out the hanging man/Master Gracy.
The hanging man is the Ghost host not Master Gracey
Ghost Host
1547672626337.png

Master Gracey
1547672690495.png

Driver

On my last visit to the Magic Kingdom (Dec 30, 2019), I pointed out to a cast member and manager that one of the portraits in the left stretching room had developed a wrinkle. Both of them confirmed that there would be some upcoming maintenance in the pre-show areas, so I wouldn't be surprised if various elements phase in and out of existence over the next few weeks.
?? Dec 30, 2019 didn't come yet?

CAV

I hope they rework this scene someday. Not trying to be a SJW, but people all over the world have hung themselves out of desperation to end their lives. It's really not something that should be taken lightly.

For the record, I am against the changes made to the Pirates auction scene.
Really????????????????

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom