Hands On - FastPass+ for non-resort guests at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Buried20KLeague

I am sure I missed this somewhere in the discussion, but does the system "force" you to take three FP+s? If you only wanted the FP+ for, say, Test Track, is it going to automatically throw you FP+s for Maelstrom and Living with the Land? If so, it seems like everyone skipping those meaningless reservations for attractions with short lines might force WDW to quickly tweak their system--or at least recognize there is a problem. If no one is showing up where and when Disney expects them, their big-bucks system won't be serving its purpose. (And let's be clear there, the purpose isn't "improving guest experience" but rather "collecting data and using it to manipulate crowds/cut costs.")

My opinion on this is to consider Pavlov's Dog. When the bell rings, the dog salivates because it knows its getting a treat.

I venture to say that even if it's not required, a high percentage of people will use that FP (even on attractions where it doesn't really gain you much/anything) just because it's a "perk". The "bell" will ring, and the guest will "react".

And either way, I'm not sure it would matter. If there's excess capacity at a lower tier attraction, I'm not sure TDO cares if it's because standby or FP specifically aren't showing up. I'd imagine their goal is just to ensure everyone is divvied out their three for the day, so they can fulfill their obligation.

They'll pay close attention to the the headliners, to be sure. But the low tier attractions don't need FP, and they know it. There's proof of that. They're just using those low tiers as FP fillers.

My opinion on this is to consider Pavlov's Dog. When the bell rings, the dog salivates because it knows its getting a treat.

I venture to say that even if it's not required, a high percentage of people will use that FP (even on attractions where it doesn't really gain you much/anything) just because it's a "perk". The "bell" will ring, and the guest will "react".

This is true especially with people that don't understand Disney or touring plans in general. When we went in October, we had a FPP for Movie Ride (yes...I know but with shorter kids there were few options). The wait was 5 min. But my grandma wanted to use the FPP line. I tried explaining that we could just get in the regular line and it would b FASTER because we didn't have to scan our bands (which was not hard but not easy for my 3 yr old and my grandma- everyone else no problem). Her reply was that we were supposed to use our FP "thingy" and she didn't want to lose it. I tried explaining we could switch it for a later time or ride but she didn't get it. It was easier for us to just go through the FPP line rather than argue about it. Many other families will do the same.

MrPromey

This is true especially with people that don't understand Disney or touring plans in general. When we went in October, we had a FPP for Movie Ride (yes...I know but with shorter kids there were few options). The wait was 5 min. But my grandma wanted to use the FPP line. I tried explaining that we could just get in the regular line and it would b FASTER because we didn't have to scan our bands (which was not hard but not easy for my 3 yr old and my grandma- everyone else no problem). Her reply was that we were supposed to use our FP "thingy" and she didn't want to lose it. I tried explaining we could switch it for a later time or ride but she didn't get it. It was easier for us to just go through the FPP line rather than argue about it. Many other families will do the same.

And that's how you'll get people using FP+ for Imagination. They've never been and don't know what the attraction is, don't pick up on the fact that there is no standby line, and will use their reservation with it because... well, they have a reservation.

That's why I wonder when people talk about all these people maximizing time by buying tickets in advance, people who will be mad about not being able to schedule their FP+ in advance, and about not being able to get more than 3 tickets a day. I have every reason to believe the people who visit this site will see big differences to their travel as a result of this new system (be it bad or good) but I really wonder if any of us are good representatives of the world public as a whole. I *always* see cast members explaining the current FP system to someone when getting fastpass tickets, I *always* see lines for people buying tickets at all the parks, I *always* see info in hotel rooms about buying tickets in their lobby which would only work if a large portion of their guests hadn't bought tickets in advance.* That leads me to believe that a large part of the visiting population don't have a full plan on where to go and what to do for every day of their trip when they get here. I mean, if most people were that savvy, why would Peter Pan's flight always have such a long wait? Wouldn't most of those people waiting already know the 6 minute ride complete with aluminum foil looking volcano isn't worth the 45-75 minute wait?

My point is, I can see how this system is going to affect everyone but I'm really wondering what percentage of the guests who would have had a better trip before this started rolling out (assuming offsite guests never get to book in advance) will know things have changed for the worse for them?

*In the case of Tokio Disney, they're dealing with a specific culture and a park that frequently reaches capacity so I can understand why specific date purchase work there but I really have to wonder if without a financial incentive, people in the US would get on board with this in droves. FP+ might be enough to do it but how much of the general public even understands what the basic FP system is till they go for the first time?

[Edited to clarify a statmement]

Last edited:

MrPromey

In terms of Epcot, the only "addition" I've heard rumored was Martin mentioning that they have plans for a Japan dark ride which they'd be happy to move forward with if there were a sponsor willing to pay for it...

This seems like an Issue Disney needs to find a way to work around (sponsors). It doesn't feel like we are still living in the same world where it was practical to think that large companies from around the world would take on huge sponsorships just to get their name in front of people at Disney. Who sponsors IASM and SM in the Magic Kingdom these days? Who sponsors TSWMAF, UOE, and Imagination in Epcot?

What was the answer to Met Life pulling out of WOL? There wouldn't be much of a Future World left if they'd kept doing that, would there?

If they're waiting for sponsorship money to build a new country or a new attraction of an existing one in Epcot I don't see that ever happening. The cold war is over. The US no longer holds the good guys status we did during that conflict. Investing long term money for a foreign PR effort over here in a climate of embarrassing NSA leaks and controversy over how we may treat diplomats seems problematic - these seem like things that would be unpopular for businesses and governments in other countries to even consider.

As costs for guests keep going up, they really need to start biting the bullet and stop making sponsorship the excuse for things not happening. In the case of the lower three parks, more alcohol opportunities is not the answer. :/

Getting off my soap box now. :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Really if you aren't staying on property, why would you buy tickets in advance of your travel? I'm sure some people do but I don't know what the benefit currently would be besides avoiding the lines that may or may not exist at the park entrances and if you're that concerned with planning for convenience, it seems you might already be someone who wants to stay on property, anyway, right?

There is some "crazy guy" around these parts that bought a stack of 10 day no expiration passes like 10 years ago for a fraction of what they cost today. I bought my tickets a year in advance this year and saved whatever the increase in ticket prices was (8%?).

cwdefouw

There is some "crazy guy" around these parts that bought a stack of 10 day no expiration passes like 10 years ago for a fraction of what they cost today. I bought my tickets a year in advance this year and saved whatever the increase in ticket prices was (8%?).

I am not crazy smart enough to have bought 10 day no expiration passes 10 years ago. But I do have some non-expired days on old paper tickets that I was hoping to use next May, by which time all parks will be on FastPass+. We will be staying off-site and my question is this. Do I have to go to Guest Services to get my old paper tickets converted to new plastic RFID tickets or is there some other process that I could do before leaving home?

JawaLivin

Yesterday the FP+ kiosk lines at AK were relatively long. We walked in at 930AM and there were CM's with Ipads proliferated through Discovery Island with gobs of people hanging around waiting their turn. The lines were pretty long at the kiosks by Disney Outfitters, stretching into the main walkway. Kiosks across the way at Island Merchantile were busy but lines were not as long. As everyone was planning their day at the kiosks, we rode Dinosaur, Everest and walked around Camp Minnie Mickey for one last time and was heading out of the park by 11AM or so. No FP+ needed for us!

Buried20KLeague

Yesterday the FP+ kiosk lines at AK were relatively long. We walked in at 930AM and there were CM's with Ipads proliferated through Discovery Island with gobs of people hanging around waiting their turn. The lines were pretty long at the kiosks by Disney Outfitters, stretching into the main walkway. Kiosks across the way at Island Merchantile were busy but lines were not as long. As everyone was planning their day at the kiosks, we rode Dinosaur, Everest and walked around Camp Minnie Mickey for one last time and was heading out of the park by 11AM or so. No FP+ needed for us!

Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to reading more personal experiences at AK as this week progresses... Including FP availability (or lack thereof).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Thanks for the update. I would have expected big lines for the most crowded week of the year. I'm curious to see what the guest reactions will be like if they get to the kiosk and find the reservations they want are all gone. Getting in and out before the massive crowds build is a really good plan.

ParentsOf4

Thanks for the update. I would have expected big lines for the most crowded week of the year. I'm curious to see what the guest reactions will be like if they get to the kiosk and find the reservations they want are all gone. Getting in and out before the massive crowds build is a really good plan.
This weekend (Dec 21-22) was not particularly crowded at the parks.

touringplans.com listed Saturday at DAK as a 4 out of 10 and Sunday as a 7.

Lots travel on the weekend. Crowds should pick up today and peak between Christmas Day and New Year's Day.

Remember that KS and EE are very high capacity attractions. With everyone limited to one FP+, it's going to take some incredible crowds for those to run out.

I'm more interested in seeing how efficiently WDW can keep the lines at the FP+ kiosks moving.

Long FP+ kiosk lines won't be a big problem if Disney can just keep them moving and keep people's wait times down. Even if some guests get shut out of KS or EE, it won't be too bad if they didn't have to wait long to find out.

FP or FP+, the attractons have limited capacity. The main (I think :)) advantage of the legacy FP system was that you didn't need to get in line to find out what the return times were.

Let's hope for all those visiting DAK that Disney is running those FP+ kiosk lines efficiently!

asialeigh

I am not crazy smart enough to have bought 10 day no expiration passes 10 years ago. But I do have some non-expired days on old paper tickets that I was hoping to use next May, by which time all parks will be on FastPass+. We will be staying off-site and my question is this. Do I have to go to Guest Services to get my old paper tickets converted to new plastic RFID tickets or is there some other process that I could do before leaving home?

You'll need to go to guest relations to have them converted to RFID tickets before you can link them.

pheneix

This weekend (Dec 21-22) was not particularly crowded at the parks.

touringplans.com listed Saturday at DAK as a 4 out of 10 and Sunday as a 7.

Lots travel on the weekend. Crowds should pick up today and peak between Christmas Day and New Year's Day.

That's funny, because UO rammed through over 80k between their two parks yesterday (Sunday, 12/22).

Universal Orlando - Simply busy!

ParentsOf4

That's funny, because UO rammed through over 80k between their two parks yesterday (Sunday, 12/22).

Universal Orlando - Simply busy!
touringplans.com reported the following for Sunday (12/22):

MK: 6 out of 10
EP: 9
DHS: 6
DAK: 7

Only a 6 at MK?

Usually guests go dashing off to MK after they land at MCO.

Maybe Universal was the first thing on their minds this trip. ;)

doctornick

Usually, guests go dashing of to MK after they land at MCO.

I'd be curious as to the typical vacation pattern -- if there is such a thing -- nowadays in central Florida. More specifically, for people who are splitting time between Uni and WDW (and Sea World, Legoland or other activities) do they tend to go to WDW first and then other experiences or do they tend to go to Uni and then end with the Mouse? Do they go to WDW and "take a break" in the middle to go to Uni? (Or maybe they go to Uni and take a break to go to MK!) I realize that there is surely no set pattern, but if there's a trend in some way it might affect expected crowd levels at the parks and touring plans.

pheneix

touringplans.com reported the following for Sunday (12/22):

MK: 6 out of 10
EP: 9
DHS: 6
DAK: 7

Only a 6 at MK?

Usually guests go dashing off to MK after they land at MCO.

I think more and more itineraries are turning into "MK, Harry Potter, then everything else" every week. Amount of cross traffic between WDW and UO on I4 is INSANE now.

I mean, WDW still has economies of scale that Universal does not even want and if you care about such things they are still "bigger and better," but Universal Orlando is seeing a level of attendance and sales that they just simply didn't have 2-3, hell even ONE year ago. And Diagon Alley isn't even open yet!

vinnya1726

As of now, you'll have to use a FP+ kiosk or be assisted by a Cast Member at DAK.

I'm hoping offsite guests eventually get to use MDE to make their selections before arrival. Just seems like it would make the parks less stressful for everyone. :)

While that may be true...Disney does need to give some added benefit to resort guests..they will need to figure that as part of things.

Rob562

You'll need to go to guest relations to have them converted to RFID tickets before you can link them.

Not necessarily. On both the app and the website there are ways to enter park tickets from before the RFID changeover. (It's just more direct to do it with the RFID tickets) Look for options that say "Have a ticket purchased before October 2011?" In the app it shows up under "where can I find my ID number".

-Rob

passachon

Irie said:
Can you tell us what times your FP+'s were and if you can alter those times easily?

We had no problem in altering FP+ when we were there last week. Absolutely love it. We got picked to try their new system as guests staying on property. We could alter, cancel, ans request FP+ on our phone through their app, even when we were in the park. The max per person per day is 3 FP. Also love their wristbands.
P.S. when we were there, we use our FP+ through our wristbands. We didn't carry any cards or FP cards. Once the machine read our wristband and turned green, we could go inside for that particular ride!

rael ramone

When I was here they wanted people to use them even if it was a walkon. Pad the usage #'s.

(Movie ride has, in my opinion, the best (by far) queing area. I'll watch all the trailers even if the line is short).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom