Halloween or Christmas time?

maroman

Hi all, just wondering which you prefer WDW at Halloween or Christmas?
Right now we have a reservation for October of next year but after seeing the new HGTV WDW holiday special we're torn between both now. We've been there during Christmas before and love it but haven't been yet with both of our children. Halloween we've never been.
If anyone has been there both times of the year can you tell me which you prefer so we can decide, thanks.

FanOfWalt

I saw about ten minutes of a very cool special on HGTV (the Home And Garden network) last night on how Disney World gets ready for Christmas. The part I saw covered all the poinsettas (?) that they have to plant in the middle of the night while the park is closed. The "behind the scenes" info is very interesting. I've got to see if HGTV is going to run the special again - I think it was called "Behind the Magic at Disney World" or something like that.

:xmas:

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Even though I like Halloween better than Christmas (the Holiday not Disney during Halloween) I would go for Christmas. Aside from MNSSHP Disney does very little for Halloween. Christmas on the other hand is present in all the parks and resorts.

Upvote 0

bugsbunny

Hi all, just wondering which you prefer WDW at Halloween or Christmas?
Right now we have a reservation for October of next year but after seeing the new HGTV WDW holiday special we're torn between both now. We've been there during Christmas before and love it but haven't been yet with both of our children. Halloween we've never been.
If anyone has been there both times of the year can you tell me which you prefer so we can decide, thanks.

I've been to both several times. The Xmas parade is definitely better, but Halloween has the Headless Horseman, which is pretty cool.

If you catch the Food & Wine Show in October, its a good mix between that and the MNSSHP. But without a doubt, Xmas wins out. EVERYTHING is decorated for Xmas at WDW where for the MNSSHP you basically get that and that's it.

Been going the first week of December for about 10 years now, plus other times of the year. Lowest crowds and Xmas is everywhere.

Upvote 0
Definitely Christmas. We went 2 days before Halloween this year. Besides MNSSHP there really isn't much to shout about.
Christmas on the other hand has decorations at all the parks and resorts. Osbourne Family Lights, GF Gingerbread House, LOW(oh right! :().
They make it snow on Main Street, that should say it all.
The only advantage to Halloween is the crowds. Christmas is one of the busiest times and the few days after Halloween were relatively light.

Upvote 0

cemeb4dk

we have been during both and usually rotate every year. For '10 we decided to pick what we liked better. We chose to go the last week of Oct and the first week of Nov. While we love Disney at xmas time, and if you have never seen it, it definitely is worth seeing. But we figured a bit warmer weather, we like the Halloween party and the food and wine festival and the crowds seem to be a bit less also.

So while both are awesome times to go, we chose Halloween this time. The xmas season even in the so called off weeks are still getting busier and busier each year. So this year we are hoping for warmer weather and a bit smaller crowds. Either way you choose, you will have a great time.

Upvote 0

NadieMasK2

We have been to both a few times, and although we enjoy Halloween (especially the low crowds) we favor Christmas for the reasons others have mentioned. If you are lucky enough to spend a bit longer, I think we figured about 10 days, you can time it so you see the last night of MNSSHP at the beginning of your trip and the first night of MVMCP at the end so you get both!

Upvote 0

tiaragirl

We have been to both a few times, and although we enjoy Halloween (especially the low crowds) we favor Christmas for the reasons others have mentioned. If you are lucky enough to spend a bit longer, I think we figured about 10 days, you can time it so you see the last night of MNSSHP at the beginning of your trip and the first night of MVMCP at the end so you get both!

This is brilliant, hahah. Best of both worlds!

Upvote 0
Probably Christmas the decorations are beautiful but not overpowering. The Christmas music isn't really an upgrade from what usually plays but overall the parks look awesome. Mickey's Christmas party is awesome too. Pretty expensive but I'd say it's worth it. :D

Upvote 0

magicbymarriage

This year we went for Halloween. The Halloween party is a lot of fun but as others have said that is really the only Halloween activity. The food and wine festival is also a good time but not Halloween related. Last year we went for xmas. The party isn't as good but the whole xmas atmosphere is great. Both the parks and resorts are decorated and celebrating the season.

Upvote 0

corey154

We've been to both and although we like Christmas better I would say keep your ressies and try Halloween out and then for your next trip plan Christmas. Like others have posted, during October you can also go to the food and wine fest (which is one of my personal fav events). I think the reason we like Christmas so much is because we live in florida and sometimes find it hard to get into the Christmas spirit, but going to Disney at the begining of December always helps! I come home every year ready for the holidays! If you do decide to change to come for Christmas, I'd recommend coming early December, by the 18th the parks start to get crowded.

Upvote 0

tiaragirl

The Halloween decorations were going up at the end of August/early September so we got to see them on our trip.. it's really cute. MK is always spirited, though =)
Christmas is gorgeous.. but I'd go for Halloween the first time, and then back for Crhistmas on another trip.
Or just go now =)

Upvote 0

maroman

Original Poster
Thanks all for your suggestions. We've been there for Christmas in the past and loved it each time. We never been there during Halloween so thought we would try something different. From what I've gathered, seems that Magic Kingdom is the only real stand out for Halloween while pretty much every where has some sort of Christmas decoration or attraction.

I do love that suggestion of going during the last days of Halloween party and catching the start of Christmas.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

Having just returned from a mid-October trip, I highly recommend Halloween time (although admittedly, we haven't been there at Xmas time YET). MNSSHP was a blast. The weather was absolute perfection. The lines for rides were short to non-existent. And the Food and Wine Festival was not-to-be-missed. Plus there were a number of promotions going on - we got free dining. You're going to have a wonderful time!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom