hall of presidents

JDM

I have removed as many of the political and argumentative posts as I was able to find doing a quick scan.

If the political swipes (at and from both sides) and arguing continue, the thread will disappear. Fair warning.

If only this sort of diligence was more prevalent....I think this forum would be a lot better off.

But then, I'm just a "newbie"......

smayco

While I do sometimes find the film boring, I just love watching the animatronics. I see something new each time...they whisper to each other, Lincoln checks his notes, etc. My 8yo son LOVES this attraction; it's actually his favorite!, so we wouldn't ever skip it even if we wanted to. :animwink:

~Sue

The Mom

Premium Member
If only this sort of diligence was more prevalent....I think this forum would be a lot better off.

But then, I'm just a "newbie"......

Interestingly, I've taken a lot of criticism for being too diligent. You can't please everyone, so, you've got to please yourself. ;)

RiversideBunny

What if the animatronic characters were various figures from the Colonial period rather than just presidents?

Guests could see, for instance, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, etc. discussing the need to establish an independent nation and how it should be done. Maybe the setting could be a tavern or an assembly room in Williamsburg, VA.

I think that focusing on the Colonial period, circa 1776, would be much more interesting and would fit in better with the theme of Liberty Square in the MK.

:king: Whoops. No more king ---> :)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
What if the animatronic characters were various figures from the Colonial period rather than just presidents?

Guests could see, for instance, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, etc. discussing the need to establish an independent nation and how it should be done. Maybe the setting could be a tavern or an assembly room in Williamsburg, VA.

I think that focusing on the Colonial period, circa 1776, would be much more interesting and would fit in better with the theme of Liberty Square in the MK.

The American Adventure at Epcot encompasses alot of those issues. I think it would be a great idea personally because I enjoy the educational aspect with my entertainment, but unfortunately, Im in the minority these days....

RSoxNo1

Why not turn into Letterman's bit, "Great Moments in Presedential Speeches"?

In all seriousness though, the novelty of seeing every president of the United States together communicating has worn off a bit. Perhaps the living character initiative needs to find it's way into the hall of presidents. Historical re-enactors do it all the time, why not have Q&A with certain presidents? Sure, it would be ill conceived to have Q&A with some of the more recent presidents, but with some of the founding fathers it could be quite interesting. Of course, you always run the risk of inappropriate questions, but you technically have that with other interactive shows as well.

BiggerTigger

:ROFLOL: No kidding...

Okay, so this thread has started me thinking about how the attraction could be improved without making it tacky.

Perhaps the following could be done for the pre-show, with interactive kiosks, or buzzers in the lobby. Maybe an interactive "did you know trivia" kind of game, where they would pose the question like "This President was responsible for _____", "This president was also a vice president for so-and-so". I know it's a little bit cheesy, and I don't mean it to be disrespectful to the office, but just something that would pull people into the attraction.

Both are good ideas but I think to "plus it" they should get the secret service involved. Say through embrionic cell research they brought back all the past and current presidents for a meeting. But there is a threat against national security and in the middle of the speaches secret service sweeps in with smoke filling the room and lights flashing and Jack Baurer saves the day (in 24 hours.) :lol:

wdwCC

I would be shocked. Given all the history with Walt designing the first Audio-Animatronics figures, like the Abraham Lincoln figure.

RiversideBunny

I don't think Walt would be shocked to see that things evolve.
He expected it.
Look at the changes in the way Mickey and Donald and some others appear over the years.

He would like to see WDW remain as a wholesome place that continues to attract families who find it enjoyable. That means it must be a dynamic, rather than static, place.

:)

wdwCC

I don't think Walt would be shocked to see that things evolve.
He expected it.
Look at the changes in the way Mickey and Donald and some others appear over the years.

He would like to see WDW remain as a wholesome place that continues to attract families who find it enjoyable. That means it must be a dynamic, rather than static, place.

:)
No I doubt he would be shocked. If they were to be that quick to change things, Carousel of Progress for example, would have been replaced a while ago. I think attractions Walt had a hand in, are less prone to replacement.

JimboJones123

I think they should do HoP vs AA Rock-Um-Sock-Um-Robots. Bring the characters together and let them duke it out. Who would win, Presidents or American Icons? But be sure to add Elvis to team AA before hand. Oh, and Walt himself. They are a bit short handed.

jt04

I think they should do HoP vs AA Rock-Um-Sock-Um-Robots. Bring the characters together and let them duke it out. Who would win, Presidents or American Icons? But be sure to add Elvis to team AA before hand. Oh, and Walt himself. They are a bit short handed.

:snore:

chels26

Original Poster
(sorry this is kinda late)(but).. when i started this thread i soo did not mean for it to get into a huge political debate. for that, i am sorry. Come one guys, this is a Walt Disney World site. Where we come together and appreciate one anothers obsessions. We should have a rule here, separation of DISNEY and state. If were gonna talk about HoP or any other thing then talk about it in Disney form.

jt04

(sorry this is kinda late)(but).. when i started this thread i soo did not mean for it to get into a huge political debate. for that, i am sorry. Come one guys, this is a Walt Disney World site. Where we come together and appreciate one anothers obsessions. We should have a rule here, separation of DISNEY and state. If were gonna talk about HoP or any other thing then talk about it in Disney form.

UH-HUH:rolleyes:

GrumpyFan

Both are good ideas but I think to "plus it" they should get the secret service involved. Say through embrionic cell research they brought back all the past and current presidents for a meeting. But there is a threat against national security and in the middle of the speaches secret service sweeps in with smoke filling the room and lights flashing and Jack Baurer saves the day (in 24 hours.) :lol:

You may be onto something.

But, instead of 24 HOURS, it would have to be 24 MINUTES. Regardless, you're on the right track. It could be fun, and definitely pull in the younger crowd.

Maybe, along these lines they could give the CMs working the attraction Black suits, dark sunglasses, and ear pieces dressed like Secret Service agents. Then in the pre-show they would "clear" everyone for a "special meeting" with the current and former presidents regarding an urgent matter involving national security that threatens to destroy this nation.

I was just at Hall of Presidents mid-July and there was pretty good attendance. I was meeting some of my family in front of it and also saw pretty good attendance in and out also. Not full to capacity, but a steady stream of visitors. Good 75% full. I love HOP. I find it inspiring and a relaxing way to rest in the cool a/c for a bit. I always visit when we go to MK. The gift shop outside is nice too. All in all, I would be very disappointed if it closed.

IROC it

When my kids are with me we do not miss HOP...

On my anniversary trip last year, we skipped it only because we were only there for one day...

My kids, 7 and 5, son and daughter respectively, absolutely love the HOP.

I actually get teary eyed... but hey, I love my country... and I love my country's history... I know the story line is a bit glamorized to be certain, but hey it's better than no HOP.

I will never miss HOP on any given year that I go... maybe on a trip, but if we go on multiple trips per year only.

Ironically, I've been to Epcot 3 times in the past 2 years... and have still never gone to AA - something about Mark Twain and Benjamin just don't seem to lure me in...

But I will try it out on the next trip... which may be this Christmas (trying to decide between a family DLR trip or a WDW trip for the holidays).

And FWIW, while I thought DLR's Innoventions/CoP total merge/rewrite was cool - they better not ever remove the COP from WDW's MK... Only upgrade the final scene a half decade and it's just great...

BTW- the kids love the COP too...

Trust me not all kids are so high strung on seeing Pixar only... It's in their upbringing - and personally, our TV and DVD player gets turned off from time to time... and sometimes we even tell the kids "no" when they ask for a new movie or toy or gadget that combines the two... We encourage them to know what life is... real life. We watch the news with them, and answer their questions... Just as Walt said in an interview, or intro, when Alice in Wonderland was about to be released, "Kids today are curious... about the world in which they live... people... places..." -something like that... Walt knew something that we all need to remember, and that is this: Kids are hungry for the facts. So give them the facts.

Sure there's a time and place for just pure "thrills and spills" and just a "show." But there is also a time for education and history lessons... And you don't get any combo of those aspects at say... Paramount, or Six Flags parks or the like.

Only in Disney Parks do you find a healthy balance of both.

I'm glad Walt saw the park finished (as his wife said at the dedication) -if only in his visionary mind's eye. He knew what he was doing.

If park management knows what's best, they will only seek to upgrade, while keeping the general integrity and purpose of, the HOP.

I trust it will be around for my grandkid's kids... so long as we have an America at least.

Long live the USA... hang the Que... well no, not really... WDW needs the Brits' money flow.:animwink: (BTW - anyone ever wonder if the Brits get offended in Liberty Square? I spoke with a fine chap in the line for Soarin' this last June and he seemed to not want to discuss the good ol' revolutionary era. Perhaps this is why the focus of the HOP is more on the Civil War?? Hmmm. I wonder if that plays a role at all...)

Anyway, I'm glad I've seen the HOP since '76.:sohappy: Ironic anniversary year, eh?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom