Hair bands on Everest

C0ffee

It's really bad on Everest and also seems to be a problem on the Blizzard Beach chairlift.

Perhaps the hair bands are an offering for Disco

I can confirm they are an offering for disco yeti. It started from a small YouTube channel a few years ago I watched the original video I’m pretty sure but I can’t recall the channel name since it was probably around 2012 when I found it, but yes it started as a offering for Disco Yeti, I’m sorry this is a few years late I think lol.

Pepper's Ghost

Necroposting.gif

sknotts71

I'm not sure if this is an every day thing for this attraction or if it was just this particular day. But when NYFA film camp went to AK to ride Everest last Saturday, there was like hundreds of hair bands on the right and left side of the tracks on the mountain where you stop where the track is "destroyed" and you go backwards. It's as if a bunch of people just wanted to randomly throw hair bands in this area of the ride all day and it gathered up into a giant pile of hair bands. Kinda ruins the mood of the ride.

Has this always been a thing? It is by far the most random thing I have ever seen on any Disney attraction. It looks bad too. But when we all got to that point we all looked at each other like... "What the heck..?"

Sorry I don't have a picture, though.
As a person who has climbed the real Everest twice, it is a right of passage thing. You always leave something special and of significance at the peak of any major mountain/summit top. A bit disrespectful to the real climbers of the world to be represented by a cheap insignificant pony tail but hey, given the world we live in I would expect nothing less

PickleJuavez

So, I just rode this ride for the first time ever this past weekend and I can answer this question from personal experience.

Ironically, I noticed the hair bands at the top of the track as well and wondered the same thing of "why are there so many hair bands around the track?" Like most of you I figured it was purposeful and just some sort of "penny in a fountain" thing.

Well, after getting off the ride I was shocked to see that my daughter's lower hair braid (she had one to make a pony and a lower one to hold the braid) was no longer on her head. I can obviously attest to the fact that she did not remove her hair band on the ride and throw it at the side of the track. As such, I guarantee that something about the force of the ride in the backwards direction is the reason for this.

In fact, I actually got to this page searching for what physics cause this to happen.

I'm not looking to shame anyone here but man, calm down people. Sometimes there is a simple explanation. My family respects littering and the cleanliness of Disney World. Trust me, there was no malicious intent.

LittleBuford

So, I just rode this ride for the first time ever this past weekend and I can answer this question from personal experience.

Ironically, I noticed the hair bands at the top of the track as well and wondered the same thing of "why are there so many hair bands around the track?" Like most of you I figured it was purposeful and just some sort of "penny in a fountain" thing.

Well, after getting off the ride I was shocked to see that my daughter's lower hair braid (she had one to make a pony and a lower one to hold the braid) was no longer on her head. I can obviously attest to the fact that she did not remove her hair band on the ride and throw it at the side of the track. As such, I guarantee that something about the force of the ride in the backwards direction is the reason for this.

In fact, I actually got to this page searching for what physics cause this to happen.

I'm not looking to shame anyone here but man, calm down people. Sometimes there is a simple explanation. My family respects littering and the cleanliness of Disney World. Trust me, there was no malicious intent.
It could well be a combination of accidental and deliberate littering. I suspect the latter is more usual. There are scores of hairbands near the top of Summit Plummet too (under the path of the ski lift), and those certainly didn’t come off because of a ride’s force.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

I guarantee that the only physics at work here is that of people throwing or flicking their hairbands themselves. The backwards portion of the ride has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Chicken Guy

I guarantee that the only physics at work here is that of people throwing or flicking their hairbands themselves. The backwards portion of the ride has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Actually, @PickleJuavez ‘s reasoning is consistent with what I’ve heard before, which is that before this became a simple tradition, women would throw their hair bands away so their hair would fly during the backwards section. This is only hearsay, but it holds some weight in my book.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Actually, @PickleJuavez ‘s reasoning is consistent with what I’ve heard before, which is that before this became a simple tradition, women would throw their hair bands away so their hair would fly during the backwards section. This is only hearsay, but it holds some weight in my book.
He said the force of the backwards section was removing the hairbands off the hair of guests.

Kamikaze

He said the force of the backwards section was removing the hairbands off the hair of guests.
Which is not factually accurate and also doesn't work with the laws of physics.

Not that the force can't cause the bands to fall out, but it cannot launch them that far backwards and away from the train to land up on the sides on the top of the hill.

The explanation is simple: people are trash and they do trashy things.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
As a person who has climbed the real Everest twice, it is a right of passage thing. You always leave something special and of significance at the peak of any major mountain/summit top. A bit disrespectful to the real climbers of the world to be represented by a cheap insignificant pony tail but hey, given the world we live in I would expect nothing less

Such as the over 200 corpses littering Everest that haven't been recovered? Does the ride have the equivalent of green boots ? Everest is considered the world's highest garbage dump due to climbers.

Missing20K

We are all missing the real story.

Homie climbed Everest. Twice!

Hats off to you!

MattC

Nope.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom