Gunn Returns

NelsonRD

Original Poster
This was not a mistake. A mistake is when you back your car out of your garage and hit the mirror.
I am tired of classifying intentional, actionable, inexcusable behavior, as a ‘mistake’.

Are few more rebuttals to his defense:

“They are Jokes”
Jokes are only funny when there is an audience that laughs. I don’t think there are very many people laughing at rape jokes, yet he continued to make them. In a culture where we are trying to create respect, and seek to reduce sexual assault, this is not a good move. We all know not to make jokes about domestic violence, rape, pedophilia, and if you are unoriginal enough to come up with comedic material that is funny, you are not a comic.

“It happened 10 years ago”
That would make him a man in his 40s, somebody who should know better, not a naive teen. To me, it makes it worse, and even more creepy. Grow up.

“He didn’t act on it”
He did. He admitted to consuming child , I am too disgusted to put these images in my head, but some of the self pleasure ‘jokes’ about Bieber probably happened too.

“Everybody deserves a second chance”
I am not suggesting he should live off-grid in Alaska, or serve as somebody’s butler for the rest of his life. He was given a second chance with Warner Brothers, everybody had moved on, and there was no reason to bring this back up.

I just wished Disney set a classier example and not demonstrate this sign of weakness and desperation for his return.

sedati

I am not suggesting he should live off-grid in Alaska, or serve as somebody’s butler for the rest of his life. He was given a second chance with Warner Brothers, everybody had moved on, and there was no reason to bring this back up.

I think I see the disconnect.
As I see it he got a second chance, and that was when he first joined Marvel/Disney. By the accounts of those who know him, he lived up to this opportunity in every way. What Warners did was give him yet another chance, but to be clear, his second chance was unjustly stolen away from him.

Hrudey3032

He was working for Troma at the time, which was an edgy company with edgy humor. They were JOKES. He was being paid to be edgy and push limits. He wasn't actually advocating doing anything. You do know that edgy humor is a thing. That such 'things' are done all the damn time? Do you know that Buzz Lightyear's voice (Tim Allen) is one of the filthiest comedians in the history of ever? Should Disney fire him too?

Secondly, the tweets were ONLY brought up because he was talking about Trump. Period. And who were they brought up by? Mike Cernovich. The insane 'Pizzagate' guy. He did it to try to 'get' Gunn. Period. He didn't care about the tweets, only that he could use them to try and get 'revenge' for Gunn being liberal. Do you know what started it? Gunn pledged $100k to charity if Trump would dare getting on a scale and get his weight verified.

You can say this isn't political all you want, but it 100% was. Thats all it was. The actual tweets/jokes didn't matter.

You don't have to defend him. You should just go 'oh, its a joke' and move on. Nothing more is needed.
I love Tim Allen and his stand up was one of the funniest things of all time to me. His 2 shows are some of my all time favorites but he has a sordid past and has never run from it. He was once a drug dealer. You can google it. He made mistakes and was given another chance and succeeded. Gunn said some very offensive things.....like many many people have.....but his were caught on the interwebs. If it was proven he did anything actually then you could say he should never return but fact is he never has had one charge or complaint made towards him other than his comments. I don't care if he is liberal or conservative I loved the 2 GOTG movies and excited to see him come back to make the 3rd.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

righttrack

I love Tim Allen and his stand up was one of the funniest things of all time to me. His 2 shows are some of my all time favorites but he has a sordid past and has never run from it. He was once a drug dealer. You can google it. He made mistakes and was given another chance and succeeded. Gunn said some very offensive things.....like many many people have.....but his were caught on the interwebs. If it was proven he did anything actually then you could say he should never return but fact is he never has had one charge or complaint made towards him other than his comments. I don't care if he is liberal or conservative I loved the 2 GOTG movies and excited to see him come back to make the 3rd.

Exactly. Art is art. You either like it or you don't. You don't have to be in love with the person who produced it.

“He didn’t act on it”
He did. He admitted to consuming child ****

Whaaaaa?

And look, if Roseanne stops doing the nonsense that got her fired and spends the better part of a decade showing that she’s become a better person, I’ll gladly give her another chance. She’s got a lot of talent. But she needs to show she’s different, just like Gunn has. Fair is fair.

I’m not about to burn my George Carlin cds because he had a routine called “rape is funny” and regularly joked about cancer just because others didn’t laugh. Taste shouldn’t be legislated through mob outrage.

slappy magoo

It is not even remotely funny, and no matter what angle I look at it, I cannot defend him.

National Lampoon's Vacation -
Cousin Vicki: I'm going steady, and I French kiss.
Audrey Griswold: So? Everybody does that.
Cousin Vicki: Yeah, but Daddy says I'm the best at it.

National Lampoon's Animal House -
Pinto: Before we go any further, there's something I have to tell you. I lied to you. I've never done this before.
Clorette De Pasto: You've never made out with a girl before?
Pinto: No. No, I mean, I've never done what I think we're gonna do in a minute. I sort of did once, but I was drunk...
Clorette De Pasto: That's okay, Larry. Neither have I. It's my first time too. And besides, I lied to you, too.
Pinto: Oh, yeah? What about?
Clorette De Pasto: I'm only 13.

School of Rock -
Dewey Finn: I have been touched by your kids... and I'm pretty sure that I've touched them.

Airplane! -
Captain Oveur: You ever been in a cockpit before?
Joey: No sir, I've never been up in a plane before.
Captain Oveur: You ever seen a grown man naked?

Kentucky Fried Movie -
pretty much the entire Catholic High Schools in Trouble sequence

Lolita - all of it, both of them

Ever see Happiness? Cannes Festival winner, British Independent Film Awards Winner, Golden Globe nominee for best screenplay, National Board of Review winner for best ensemble, including Dylan Baker who plays a dad who dopes his family and the young boy spending the night so he can rape the boy...and it's a comedy.

Waiting - ongoing joke is the of-age head server Ryan Reynolds has a dangerously flirty relationship with the not-of-age hostess Vaness Langies
Monty: [on going to the party] Okay, baby doll, you're definitely coming, right?
Natasha: If you do everything right, I will.
Monty: Oh god, Natasha, you're gonna have to stop that. You're making it hard... I mean difficult.

Mallrats - an entire subplot involves a minor having sex and documenting it (including video) for a research paper...at the end of the movie to "get" the bad guy in the movie, the video is played at the mall -
Shannon Hamilton: Yeah, who's your favourite New Kid. Yeah, call me Joey. Oh, come on. Don't make me get loose. Yeah, that's right. Call me Donnie. Oh, girl. Oh, please don't go girl.
Jay: Godd*mn. This is one wacky game show.
Brodie: [to the cops] Hey! That girl's only 15!
[cops focus their attention on Shannon]
Shannon Hamilton: Ah, 15. I thought she was 36!
[cops are approaching him]
Shannon Hamilton: Come on, guys. Tell me you wouldn't have popped her.

Look, I'm not trying to say you're not allowed to feel your feelings. I'm not going to say any of these jokes were OK or are OK or always will be OK. I'm saying that, just as there was a time all sort of reprehensible crap was put in movies, from blackface to rape for the purposes of titillation, jokes like this were not seen as crumbling the foundation of society. Many of them are movies I grew up watching. I'm sure many of them are also movies Gunn grew up watching. A lot of the slash-and-burn mentality of the 60s and 70s was the idea that as long as it's just a joke, everything is permitted. That came crashing down in subsequent generations as it became obvious people who were racists, or misogynists, or creepy, tried to use "just a joke" to get away with validating their hate or their kinks (when those kinks involved people who could not consent, or too young to consent.

One of the funniest jokes I ever heard - what's the worst thing about statutory rape? Getting the blood stains out of your clown suit.

I didn't laugh because "Hellz yeah! It's funny because it's true!"
I laughed over the sheer audacious wrongness of it all. Shock value. Which the above movies used it for, and what comedians and Howard Stern used it for, and what guys like Gunn on social media used it for. Never an endorsement, shock for the sake of shock.

Much like a lot of white people had to at some point be told "don't use the n-word, black people don't like it," "don't use ret*rded as a slur, it's demeaning to those who are mentally disabled and many of them are probably smarter than you are anyway," "don't use f-ggot as a slur, there's nothing wrong with being gay," the word's kind of getting out about jokes involving children. That even when the joke isn't pointed, isn't about a specific kid, isn't really pro-that, they're just icky and wrong, society evolves.

You can continue to bash Gunn. I can't stop you. I'm not your mom.

But if you ever watched and/or enjoyed any of those movies above, take a long hard look in the mirror and ask if maybe you're being a jerk about this.

And if you've never watched and/or enjoyed ANY of those movies above, take a long hard look in the mirror and ask if maybe you're missing out.

Lucky Rabbit

“He didn’t act on it”
He did. He admitted to consuming child ****, I am too disgusted to put these images in my head, but some of the self pleasure ‘jokes’ about Bieber probably happened too.
I’m not sure where you’re getting your information, but if he admitted to doing it do you think he’d be back?

The reason he’s back is he never actually committed any crimes. He’s since had many people in the industry vouch for his character.

Minus the fact all this happened before Vol. 1 and he had publically apologized for it in 2011 and 2012. Disney got caught up in the fake outrage machine and fired him when they shouldn’t have. What did he do while under contract that warranted firing? It be one thing if he covered it up, but this was a known quantity when he was first hired.

NelsonRD

Original Poster
I’m not sure where you’re getting your information, but if he admitted to doing it do you think he’d be back?

The reason he’s back is he never actually committed any crimes. He’s since had many people in the industry vouch for his character.

Minus the fact all this happened before Vol. 1 and he had publically apologized for it in 2011 and 2012. Disney got caught up in the fake outrage machine and fired him when they shouldn’t have. What did he do while under contract that warranted firing? It be one thing if he covered it up, but this was a known quantity when he was first hired.

He posted a message referencing underage girls masterbating. I didn't see the link, it could be bears playing a piano, I don't know.
I am just saying he was fired, whether you agree with the firing, or not, it was a done deal. Nobody is above the show, and it looks bad to backtrack on a decision.

Lucky Rabbit

He posted a message referencing underage girls masterbating. I didn't see the link, it could be bears playing a piano, I don't know.
I am just saying he was fired, whether you agree with the firing, or not, it was a done deal. Nobody is above the show, and it looks bad to backtrack on a decision.
The one about underage girls was a video link to underage girls touching themselves, but it was a video of a girls choir singing “I Touch Myself” by the Divinyls. He was making fun of the video. It’s not an appropriate song for kids.

I’m not here to defend that brand of comedy. I have two daughters ages 7 and 5. I would not be ok with Disney employing an awful human being just because he’s good at making movies.

Typical celebrities apologize after it becomes a problem. They do something, get fired, and then try to make amends. Gunn had a great job and spent years apologizing for it without any public pressure.

Gunn helped Selma Blair come forward against director James Toback. Read what he wrote after the Harvey Weinstein stuff started coming out:

Not to mention his tweets when this came to light:

1. Many people who have followed my career know when I started, I viewed myself as a provocateur, making movies and telling jokes that were outrageous and taboo. As I have discussed publicly many times, as I’ve developed as a person, so has my work and my humor.

2. It’s not to say I’m better, but I am very, very different than I was a few years ago; today I try to root my work in love and connection and less in anger. My days saying something just because it’s shocking and trying to get a reaction are over.

3. In the past, I have apologized for humor of mine that hurt people. I truly felt sorry and meant every word of my apologies.

4. For the record, when I made these shocking jokes, I wasn’t living them out. I know this is a weird statement to make, and seems obvious, but, still, here I am, saying it.

5. Anyway, that’s the completely honest truth: I used to make a lot of offensive jokes. I don’t anymore. I don’t blame my past self for this, but I like myself more and feel like a more full human being and creator today. Love you to you all.

I’m just curious though is there anything Gunn can say or do that would make a difference? You seem to have a few important facts wrong (like claiming he watched that stuff). I obviously don’t want to get into an endless loop, but I am curious if there’s any thing he an do in your eyes to make amends.

NelsonRD

Original Poster
The one about underage girls was a video link to underage girls touching themselves, but it was a video of a girls choir singing “I Touch Myself” by the Divinyls. He was making fun of the video. It’s not an appropriate song for kids.

I’m not here to defend that brand of comedy. I have two daughters ages 7 and 5. I would not be ok with Disney employing an awful human being just because he’s good at making movies.

Typical celebrities apologize after it becomes a problem. They do something, get fired, and then try to make amends. Gunn had a great job and spent years apologizing for it without any public pressure.

Gunn helped Selma Blair come forward against director James Toback. Read what he wrote after the Harvey Weinstein stuff started coming out:

Not to mention his tweets when this came to light:

I’m just curious though is there anything Gunn can say or do that would make a difference? You seem to have a few important facts wrong (like claiming he watched that stuff). I obviously don’t want to get into an endless loop, but I am curious if there’s any thing he an do in your eyes to make amends.

I agree, and stand corrected. I did say I did not see the link, or claim to know him personally.

In my eyes, his hand were clean when he moved on from Disney, and had a second chance. The more I hear about the situation, the grayer it does get. However, with that said, I still disagree with the re-hiring, whether or not I agree now or not with the initial firing.....

Indy_UK

If Disney knew about those 'jokes' when they originally hired him for Guardians then it's on them for not making the decision then.

These were truly awful 'jokes' where he didn't actually commit the crime so I'm fine with them rehiring him

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom