Gulfstream VERY close to the castle

GimpYancIent

On NYE at Epcot look up in the sky by World Showcase at midnight and you will see at least 10 helicopters hovering about 1K feet above viewing the NYE fireworks.
Aren't the rules for how close fixed wing aircraft can fly to the ground and fixed objects different than for rotary wing aircraft?

Lilofan

Aren't the rules for how close fixed wing aircraft can fly to the ground and fixed objects different than for rotary wing aircraft?
That's a good question. I've seen fireworks shoot very close next to the hovering helicopters which is very dangerous especially above us the thousands of guests standing all around World Showcase viewing the NYE fireworks.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

That's a good question. I've seen fireworks shoot very close next to the hovering helicopters which is very dangerous especially above us the thousands of guests standing all around World Showcase viewing the NYE fireworks.

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.​

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and
(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.

Lilofan

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and
(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.
That's regarding - flying above the highest obstacle means aka building structure or highest fixed structure. This does not address the firework fallout debris flying high above the structure close to the hovering helicopters.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

Disney may need to install a mini air traffic control office in the central tower of the castle.

mikegdis

I've seen many aircraft fly low over the parks, but never a jet. Usually helicopter or small Cessna type. I don't know what they are doing but every time I'm there I see aircraft low.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Screenshot_20210909-180436.jpg

Not many up right now.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Is there a centralized listing of Disney’s aircraft available somewhere?
This is (one of) the G650(s)
1631230690613.png

The G550 that used to belong to Earth Star of Burbank. Can't say for sure, but I'm guessing the 650 replaced the 550.
1631231011514.png

The 550 is being exported to Brazil according to FAA records.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom