Guest Service? Sometimes... sometimes not...

Invero

Original Poster
Okay... so I don't usually write trip reports since I'm a cast member... but... I got to visit the parks as a tourist the past few days... soo... here goes.

Well... as some of you might know, my mother came down this past week to visit me for Mother's Day... I wanted to put her up at AK Lodge... but since it was just her, and not my father, she didn't want to spend that money just on her... so, she went for All Star Music.

Before she checked in, I went down to ask if I could put in for some preferences. The cast member at the desk happily obliged me, and put her in the Rock 'n Roll section for me. I knew it was further back, but I wanted her to be in a section she'd like... (she's not a big fan of country, or jazz) Besides, my mother likes to walk, and it's really not a far walk at all.

I was working the day she arrived, so she took the Mears shuttle in... (and will be taking it back, as well) She had no problems with the Mears shuttle, they were very good to her. When she got to All Star Music, she checked in, and they gave her a map, and sent her on her way to her room... by herself... having to lug around her bags. It took her 25 minutes to find her room because she ended up getting lost. (She now knows her way)

Maybe it's because I'm used to putting them up in a Deluxe resort, and I know it's a value resort, and you won't find all the amenities... but I think it would have been nice if they at least helped her to her room. My mother is a very capable person, a world traveller, and extremely intelligent person... But, when in a new location, one can get lost easily. They didn't even point her in the right direction...

The first night she arrived, we went to Boma for dinner... (Restaurant review in other topic)... excellent place. Our second day, we went to Epcot for the day... We had fun, remembering when I was a little kid and such. And my mother got to go on Test Track again... (that, and It's Tough to be a Bug are her two favorites). We were in France, and I got pulled aside to be part of the World Showcase Players, and I ended up playing "Cyranose Deburgerac" It was fun, and I got a cool pin out of it. :)

We then went to the Beach Club, for the Cape May Cafe seafood buffet. To be honest... I wasn't too impressed... there wasn't much selection, and the food was okay at best. (But then again, I'm a New Englander... so nothing can top true NE seafood...)

After dinner, we went back to Epcot to see Illuminations. We got a nice spot right between the tower gift shops... I don't know whether it was because we were so close, or if they've changed Illuminations (I know they were dabbling with some things), but this was the BEST RoE show I've ever seen... more spectacular than normal. :)

The next day was spent at DAK... Went to see Festival of the Lion King (Love that show). While on the Kiliminjaro Safari, one of the Giraffes came up to us so close, we could have petted it... really cool. We did a bunch of other things, and had fun. I wanted to stay for the parade (My favorite parade) but it was so hot, so we ended up going back to All Star Music.

(By the way... we took Disney Transport the entire time, and left my car at the All Stars... We never waited more than 5 mins for a bus... and although the bus was crowded during peak usage times such as park exits, it was never bad...)

We went to Spoodles over at the Boardwalk for dinner... The food was incredible. I would definetly highly recommend this restaurant. Our server, Karen was very friendly... Unfortunetly, halfway through my mother's salad, she discovered a small piece of metal... looked like the head to a screw... Karen quickly took the salad to a manager, who came over to apologise. He offered to get my mother another appetizer, but my mother just wanted another Arugala salad because it was so good. When Karen brought it over, she told us "I'm very sorry about that... I talked to the manager, and he said he'd take care of your dinner for you." Now... when someone tells me that, I take it to assume that our meal was on the house... However, as it turns out... just my mother's dinner was comp'ed... we ended up having to pay for everything else. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying for my meal, it was very delicious... but when something like that happens, and the manager comes over to handle it, I kind of expected Disney to comp the entire meal. But... oh well. It was still a good restaurant, and I'd definetly eat there again.

After Spoodles, we went to see Cirque du Soleil. *SIMPLY INCREDIBLY AMAZING* I can't say enough about that show. It's definetly a MUST SEE. (And for all those cast members out there... we can now buy tickets for any show in ADVANCE... just like everyone else... so don't beleive the people who tell you that you have to go an hour before the show... because then you'll get nose-bleed seats like us...) Actually, our seats weren't that bad... Row wise... any row is good... I'd actually prefer the back ones to the front ones. But as for section, I'd go for the center most area... the top corners have a tendancy to cut off some of the "backdrop acrobatics" that goes on. Oh, and by the way... bring an extra set of eyes, because there's always like 10 things going on, and it's hard to figure out which one to look at!

To bring a close to my mother's vacation... because of my mother's flight... Mears has to pick her up at 4:00am... Now, I didn't want my mother walking with her luggage at night through the resort to the front, so I went to Guest Services, and asked if they could arrange someone to pick her up. I was told that they can't do that, and the only thing they might be able to do is pick up her luggage only at 3am. Nope, sorry, not good enough for my mother. I ended up going home, and calling one of the managers there. He was very nice to me, and explained that although it's not a thing they usually do... he would ask for the same thing for his mother, at that hour, and so he told me, "Consider it done."

Soooooooo... all in all... there were some things that I was dissapointed with in Disney... and other things that I thought were good... I'm really glad that manager at All Stars took care of my concern... restores my faith in creating guest magic. :)

SteveUK

I understand why you are disappointed in some areas. You say that when your mother checked in, they didn't even point her in the right direction. I can't believe that they would have refused to help her if she asked. I'm sure they would have at least given a map/directions even if they couldn't help with the bags.

I think this is another case of Disney not doing themselves any favours by simply always being so good. Thay have built such a reputation for being perfect that even the smallest thing that wouldn't even be noticed in any other hotel is now being seen and reported as a problem or dissapointment. People have such high expectations now that it is just getting harder and harder to live up to them, even for Disney.

Invero

Original Poster
Originally posted by SteveUK
I understand why you are disappointed in some areas. You say that when your mother checked in, they didn't even point her in the right direction. I can't believe that they would have refused to help her if she asked. I'm sure they would have at least given a map/directions even if they couldn't help with the bags.

I think this is another case of Disney not doing themselves any favours by simply always being so good. Thay have built such a reputation for being perfect that even the smallest thing that wouldn't even be noticed in any other hotel is now being seen and reported as a problem or dissapointment. People have such high expectations now that it is just getting harder and harder to live up to them, even for Disney.

They gave her a map... but, it would have been nice if they just told her, go out this door, and straight back... Once she found her way, it was easy as pie. It was just the initial confusionness.

It's not a matter of me setting my expectations too high... but rather, simple things that Disney should have taken care of. Walt Disney World has been around for 30 years now, and has some of the best experts in the world working for them. I don't expect Disney to be perfect... far from it. I know as a cast member that perfection is impossible. But what is possible is often times dismissed, or overlooked by some cast members.

SteveUK

All I'm saying is that I have stayed in a lot of hotels around the world and Disney are still the best at customer service. We have to remember that they are humans and therefore not perfect.
As a castmember I thought you would understand how frustrating it is for castmembers when people allow no room for human error or judgement. Are there never occasions when as a castmember you could have done something differently, or you could have treated a guest differently? If everybody is different, has different attitudes and expectations, how can you always be expected to deal with them in a 'perfect' way?

Invero

Original Poster
All I'm saying is that I have stayed in a lot of hotels around the world and Disney are still the best at customer service. We have to remember that they are humans and therefore not perfect.
As a castmember I thought you would understand how frustrating it is for castmembers when people allow no room for human error or judgement. Are there never occasions when as a castmember you could have done something differently, or you could have treated a guest differently? If everybody is different, has different attitudes and expectations, how can you always be expected to deal with them in a 'perfect' way?

I'm not critisizing the cast members that I dealt with at all. For the most part, they were all super friendly, and did everything that they could do to make things great for my mother and myself.

SteveUK

I'm sorry if I sounded critical of you, no offence intended. I just think it is a very real issue that Disney are in danger of becoming a victim of their success. If they continue to set higher and higher standards, it gets more and more difficult to live up to those standards.

Invero

Original Poster
I'm sorry if I sounded critical of you, no offence intended. I just think it is a very real issue that Disney are in danger of becoming a victim of their success. If they continue to set higher and higher standards, it gets more and more difficult to live up to those standards.

If Disney doesn't raise the bar... someone else will. Disney needs to keep up with thier reputation of being the best... Why? Because, IMHO, they are.

ToTBellHop

Whenever I've stayed at the All-Stars (last time was Feb. 2001), they always said "head to the hallway with the pictures in it, turn left, head down the hallway, go out the door, turn left, and follow the signs"...maybe the Cast Member forgot. They do not hire the staff at this resort to transport guests to their rooms...however, they may have to at Pop Century, given the size.

Invero

Original Poster
Originally posted by DogsRule!
Whenever I've stayed at the All-Stars (last time was Feb. 2001), they always said "head to the hallway with the pictures in it, turn left, head down the hallway, go out the door, turn left, and follow the signs"...maybe the Cast Member forgot. They do not hire the staff at this resort to transport guests to their rooms...however, they may have to at Pop Century, given the size.

I was very dissapointed that they don't have anyone to transport guests to thier room with thier luggage, but I guess that's one of the amenities that comes with the deluxe resorts. I think I kind of spoiled my parents when I had them stay at the Grand Floridian last time... hehe... (then again, it could also be me being overprotective, and wanting only the best, and for everything to be perfect for them)

bvolguards

I guess it would be nice to get the same treatment at an all-star as you do at the grand floridian or akl but, unfortunatly that just just not going to happen

disneydentist

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi

I was very dissapointed that they don't have anyone to transport guests to thier room with thier luggage, but I guess that's one of the amenities that comes with the deluxe resorts. I think I kind of spoiled my parents when I had them stay at the Grand Floridian last time... hehe... (then again, it could also be me being overprotective, and wanting only the best, and for everything to be perfect for them)

You have to remember that "value" is a Disney-ism for economy. Economy motels/hotels are usually lacking in amenities. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for (hopefully).

niteobsrvr

Remember when you hired on at Disney and you agreed not to SPOIL the Magic? Part of that means not complaining to guests about your job or your visits to the park as a tourist.

I have seen some cast members get in deep doo-doo for doing this in person. I would be very careful about doing it here. These boards are not anonymous, especially if someone like a Disney lawyer becomes interested in a particular individual.

You can't beat Disney for guest service unless of course you are rich enough to pay thousands upon thousands of dollars for a resort exclusive to the ultra-wealthy.

Don't expect things for free that weren't defective. What if Disney deducted your pay every time one guest on your bus out of 50 thought the ride was bad do to your error?

DisneyPhD

We have never had any interest in staying at any all star hotel. I never wanted to be that close to all those kids. :lol:

We have however stayed at every mod resort (some a few times) and a few Delux resorts. It never even occured to me that they wouldn't have bell services at the value resorts. It you don't rent a car or travel by car, that is sure a big incovience!!!! Of course often my husband has oppted to not use bell services so he didn't have to tip. (you get a little sick of handing people money at the end of your trip when you just want to have enough to make it home!!)

One of the reasons I have never bothered with all stars is the mod resorts are soo good and now I want to try all the delux, now we are DCV members so me might make it with out ever staying at AS, but who knows anything could happen.

I am sorry that happened to your mothers trip, I would feel the same way. (same with the meal at the restrant.)

Gald her visist was fun for the both of you.

Liver Lips

That was a great gift for your Mom. I'm sure she really appreciated it. Thanks for posting an honest appraisal of your experience. Your story did not "spoil my magic" whatsoever!

Rehabilitated

I cannot agree...

An earlier post states that Disney still has the best customer service for hotels in the world. I cannot argue that may be true from the poster's point of view, I disagree. I travel as a consultant for a Big 5 firm (over 100,000 miles last year) and stay in Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton, Hyatt, and similar hotels including WDW properties when doing work there, and over the past two years my opinion of Disney's customer service has gone done tremendously.

I am a former cast member in Disney Resorts, CRO specifically, and I have noticed that the cast members at the hotels are more surly and less friendly than ever. Staying at the All Star Movie resort in December for business, I was summarily told that I did NOT have a reservation and then the cast member turned to the next person in line. I literally had to argue with the girl and demand to see her manager before they discovered that the reservation was made under a completely strange spelling of my name. Yet, for some reason, they had no problem charging my AMEX card for the deposit when one of the fundamental security checks in their system is that the name on the card must match the name on the reservation.

I just returned from the Grand Floridian and was disturbed by the attitude of the maid. We asked her to give us an extra 30 minutes to get our family together (three kids under 4) and she told us she could either do the room now or do it tomorrow. I have stayed at hotels where you can call 24 hours a day for a room cleaning and paid significantly less than the GF. I complained to the maid's manager who indicated that perhaps I'd be happy at a different resort. Through my business contacts I contacted the manager of the hotel who promised to look into the issue, appologized profusely, and insisted I ask for him on my next visit and he would "make everything right". Why should I have to go to that level at a $400/night hotel? I can stay at the Marriot World Center for free with my Marriott points and get substantially better service.

Cast members all over property seem to suffer from the same lack of interest in their jobs - it must be due to the competition for good staff with Universal et al. Many are the high quality I remember from my childhood and when I worked there, but more and more seem to have the same irritated, I don't know, leave me alone, let me talk with my friends attitude. If I didn't have to go for business, I probably wouldn't stay on property at all. Of course, rumor is that Paul Pressler is to blame for all of this, so don't think for a minute that I blame the cast members entirely - they are 20% of the problem, management is usually the other 80%.

Such a shame...

Liver Lips

That is certainly a very disheartening story. I can't believe a manager at the Grand Floridian, which is supposed to be the crown jewel of Disney resorts suggested that you go to another resort! Very sad state of affairs. Luckily, I've always been treated very well while staying on property, but then again the last time was 2 yrs ago.

figmentmom

FOUR HUNDRED BUCKS A NIGHT!!!:eek:

niteobsrvr, I always enjoy your input, but I didn't think Tyler was spoiling the magic at all. I felt he was being honest, not complaining, and part of the reason I love this website is that there ARE cast members who are willing to post their experiences. When Tyler put his mom in a Disney hotel, he was a consumer, and entitled to the same opinions as any other consumer. Yes, I agree that it's best to be careful about these conversations being monitored (and noted) by Disney execs, Orwell or not. And yes, I can see your point about cast members being cautioned about "spoiling the magic," but I agree with Tyler on this one.

P.S. Happy Mother's Day to all the other Disney moms out there!:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom