Guest injured on Typhoon Lagoon Attraction

With the ride staying closed for an extended period of time, I will venture to say that it was not totally (or at all) the guest's fault. I'm thinking there is some flaw in the design somewhere that allowed this to happen and now they need extra time to make it safe again. I wonder how the man is doing.

Delgado

I don't see how anyone can get their arm caught outside of the raft if they are following the rules. Sounds like he had his arm well outside the raft just like the fools on the PotC who lost fingers. I hope he recovers but it's not Disney's fault if fools do stupid things.
This is exactly what I thought. And I’m not happy, we were going Saturday! I hope the man is okay but seriously how?!?

seascape

This is exactly what I thought. And I’m not happy, we were going Saturday! I hope the man is okay but seriously how?!?
I am beginning to think I was wrong. Since the ride is still closed I don't see how it could be his fault. I know Disney Lawyers are too cautious but there has to be an issue with the safety aspects. As I said before I hope the person is fine and fully recovers.

Ismael Flores

well i'm sure the investigation is on going and waiting for final decision. wouldn't want to open something up then later find out that you are at fault.

fixed typos

Last edited:

crxbrett

In September he was not working the first time I rode it, but when I went back 2 days later he was fully functional...not sure what the issue with him could be ....not like he is some crazy advanced AA

I went to TL the 2nd week of September and he was also working that day as well.

I enjoyed the ride and think it's really fun and well themed. Hope the man is recovering okay, regardless who or what was at fault.

ThanksPhoenicians

In other news, all roads in Florida remain closed because someone ran a red light and was struck by another vehicle. Wait, they don't close roads indefinitely for that? He shouldn't have run that red light, you say? Never mind, then.

ryguy

In other news, all roads in Florida remain closed because someone ran a red light and was struck by another vehicle. Wait, they don't close roads indefinitely for that? He shouldn't have run that red light, you say? Never mind, then.
We don't know the particulars of this event, maybe he wasn't doing anything wrong and the raft got stuck and he was just trying to free the raft. I certainly would do that if I was with my family and something was not right or I thought we were in a dangerous situation. Not saying he didn't do something wrong, we just don't know the facts.

KBLovedDisney

Ismael Flores said:
well im sure the investigation is on going and waiting for final decision. wiuld t wnat to open something up then kater fins you areat fault

Are you ok? Should I call 911?
LOL, that is what i get when typing on a moving shuttle bus
giphy.gif

That made me giggle.

mimitchi33

My guess is that this guest did not speak English or Spanish and therefore did not listen to the instructions. That, or he lost something on the ride.

But if it really were simply guest error wouldn't it be open by now? We've had other times where a guest did not follow instructions and was hurt but then the ride reopened. I'm thinking that there is some safety flaw in the design. Simple guest error and it would be open by now.... just my opinion of course.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
But if it really were simply guest error wouldn't it be open by now? We've had other times where a guest did not follow instructions and was hurt but then the ride reopened. I'm thinking that there is some safety flaw in the design. Simple guest error and it would be open by now.... just my opinion of course.
It's also possible that whatever he did was something that should not be possible and before they can move forward they have to determine A) how he did it, and B) how to defeat someone from doing it again.

When designing rides, there's an aspect of assessing what a rider can potentially do, regardless of how unlikely, and design the ride to keep them from being able to do so. If the rider did something no-one imagined possible, they have to determine if it was foreseeable, whether anything was overlooked and whether overlooking it was negligent. They then have to determine if there's a requirement to redesign the ride or if a fix can be deployed that can stop people from repeating the problem. If the answer is obvious in their investigation, they can reopen the ride relatively quickly, if the answer requires study or possibly labwork to determine what exactly went wrong, the ride can be kept shuttered until a mitigation strategy is in place or possibly permanently if they can't find a way to prevent the accident from repeating. If it's something simple, they can recommend closer monitoring of whatever created the problem, but if it's complicated or just not readily obvious, they can't reopen the ride until they've thoroughly investigated and come up with recommendations.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But if it really were simply guest error wouldn't it be open by now?

Not necessarily. The point of the safety systems includes protecting people from themselves as much as practically possible. If something is thought to be 'idiot proof' and then shown otherwise.. you would review the system to see how it can be improved. Because the lawyers will come after you if it were to happen again saying "see you knew it could happen and you did nothing about it!"

Corylancaster

Not necessarily. The point of the safety systems includes protecting people from themselves as much as practically possible. If something is thought to be 'idiot proof' and then shown otherwise.. you would review the system to see how it can be improved. Because the lawyers will come after you if it were to happen again saying "see you knew it could happen and you did nothing about it!"

It could also be that whatever had to be done to free his arm caused damage to the ride system that needs extensive repairs

Movielover

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom