Guest Assistance Pass Advice

Annielkd

Original Poster
You are too funny! I can't get to the ground... well, I might be able to with help, but then I'd never get up. I'll just focus my energies on the Wishes fireworks. I haven't had any bad experiences there. :)

loveofamouse

On our last trip, we went to the DTD theatre to watch TS3 opening weekend. When we got into the theatre, most of the people had parked strollers by the door but this one family parked their stroller in a handicap square and took up all 6 seats next to it. The other handicap square had another WC in it. I politely said excuse me and explained that I needed to use the spot for my son's WC and the seats, which were marked COMPANIONS while pointing to all ove the handicap logos around it. The woman turned and started arguing that she was here first. Mind you the entire row in front of her was open. A woman from the bottom stadium row came over and loudly said I'll move my stroller for your wheelchair since this is the only place you can sit (there were two strollers in the square). The other woman's husband told his wife to shut her mouth and move so they moved down a row. The entire time, a theatre employee just stood there close lipped.

Annielkd

Original Poster
On our last trip, we went to the DTD theatre to watch TS3 opening weekend. When we got into the theatre, most of the people had parked strollers by the door but this one family parked their stroller in a handicap square and took up all 6 seats next to it. The other handicap square had another WC in it. I politely said excuse me and explained that I needed to use the spot for my son's WC and the seats, which were marked COMPANIONS while pointing to all ove the handicap logos around it. The woman turned and started arguing that she was here first. Mind you the entire row in front of her was open. A woman from the bottom stadium row came over and loudly said I'll move my stroller for your wheelchair since this is the only place you can sit (there were two strollers in the square). The other woman's husband told his wife to shut her mouth and move so they moved down a row. The entire time, a theatre employee just stood there close lipped.

Why do people believe that getting there first means that they have the right to use a space clearly designed for someone who's handicapped. Those spaces that you are talking about are for people in a wheelchair (and I believe a handicapped child who must remain in their stroller) I don't know why the CM's don't speak up. I spoke to customer relations about this and they said that the CM's who do this kind of work are very timid. If they know this why don't they ask them to speak up. It would be easy to just say "those seats are reserved for wheelchairs, or in my case, the handicapped" they are the people we look to for support. On another note, most CM's are awesome about this (Just not the timid people supervising these types of events)

loveofamouse

Why do people believe that getting there first means that they have the right to use a space clearly designed for someone who's handicapped. Those spaces that you are talking about are for people in a wheelchair (and I believe a handicapped child who must remain in their stroller) I don't know why the CM's don't speak up. I spoke to customer relations about this and they said that the CM's who do this kind of work are very timid. If they know this why don't they ask them to speak up. It would be easy to just say "those seats are reserved for wheelchairs, or in my case, the handicapped" they are the people we look to for support. On another note, most CM's are awesome about this (Just not the timid people supervising these types of events)

Exactly. A guest shouldn't have to fight for simple things like that. As a parent of a kid with SNs we fight for their rights A LOT. Can I NOT do that on vacation? lol

Annielkd

Original Poster
I'm hoping that this doesn't happen often because you really don't want to have to think of that on a vacation... especially in he happiest place on earth. I do find that most people there are very helpful and nice, it's just the few that ruin it for everyone. I prefer to think that on my vacation I have a wonderful time 90% of the time, I can't think of another time I had such a great time. I'm soooo glad I got the photo pass plus because I can look back on it year after year and remember this trip. It was my 15 year anniversary and I'm so happy that it was beautiful. A few woman can't take that way from this!

steamboat wil

I also have a son with CP who uses a stroller/wheelchair. One time I got into a really heated argument with the boat captain on the friendship boats in WS. He refused to load our chair and made us fold everything up and carry our son as well ( because he couldn't walk or keep his balance ) across the entrance to the boat. It seemed a lot safer than using the ramp for his harnessed chair to cross:shrug:

Later after returning and leaving an email about the situation I got a response oh we're sorry we'll get it right on your next vacation, have a magical day. I'm still upset over the whole incident and how it was handled by the cast member, guest services, and their phone feedback line.

wilkeliza

Annielkd just letting you know there are indeed handicap viewing areas for parade's and fireworks at every park.

Also if you think a CM did not handle the situation and you are still upset as to see the Manager of the area. Explain the situation to the manager and say you don't feel comfortable sitting next to this woman because she was already hostile towards you and they will find you a new place to sit.

Also there are a few secret areas that typically still make great viewing areas in each park. My friends and I prefer to sit on the bridge between main street and tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom because we don't have to get there super early and we can sit. We typically get there about 15 minutes prior to Magic the Memories and You (about 45 minutes before fireworks) and sit and chat. Someone will typically go get everyone else a snack so we don't loose our seats. This works every summer for us.

Also with Epcot a few of the quick service places have outdoor seating and if you explain your situation they will not deny you a seat.

By the way I wanted to apologize to all GAP and special entrances users if anything I have ever said on here came off as offensive. I am in no way against those who need the GAP and special entrance using it. I have only had issue with it in recent years because I have friends who will rent wheel chairs just to skip lines and no one in the party has any condition (as I said they are friends and I see them at least 180 days out of the year) and I know people who will lie to get a GAP even though they don't need it. I always try to educate people I meet who say something about people using GAP that they are for invisible disabilities and are a great service. I have two family members that will need them and would hate to ever have come off as offensive to anyone else who needs them.

DWLove

Two summers ago I had to get a GAC due to surgery healing taking longer than expected (busy summer crowds+pins sticking out of my toes=not good). I must say even though you could tell there was something wrong (all my toes bandaged up etc) I got some rude comments and many nasty stares from people, including a comment behind my back about faking it.
I must also say that if you need it, use it. The cast members are great at making your vacation the best possible. Also, the first aid stations are great! I had to use them a couple of times to fix bandages etc and they are a great addition to the park so that we did not have to trek all the way back to the resort.

Annielkd

Original Poster
I also have a son with CP who uses a stroller/wheelchair. One time I got into a really heated argument with the boat captain on the friendship boats in WS. He refused to load our chair and made us fold everything up and carry our son as well ( because he couldn't walk or keep his balance ) across the entrance to the boat. It seemed a lot safer than using the ramp for his harnessed chair to cross:shrug:

Later after returning and leaving an email about the situation I got a response oh we're sorry we'll get it right on your next vacation, have a magical day. I'm still upset over the whole incident and how it was handled by the cast member, guest services, and their phone feedback line.

I don't actually think that customer service actually cares about the problems. I had a problem last year with the fireworks (I was not using a guest assistance pass at that time... didn't even know about it... but, I had my handicapped information) When I complained last year they said they were sorry... when I complained again this year they said "those greeters are very timid." When people complain they want some assurance it won't happen again and to others. I don't think they get that. I hope this will not happen again to anyone.

Annielkd

Original Poster
Annielkd just letting you know there are indeed handicap viewing areas for parade's and fireworks at every park.

Also if you think a CM did not handle the situation and you are still upset as to see the Manager of the area. Explain the situation to the manager and say you don't feel comfortable sitting next to this woman because she was already hostile towards you and they will find you a new place to sit.

Also there are a few secret areas that typically still make great viewing areas in each park. My friends and I prefer to sit on the bridge between main street and tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom because we don't have to get there super early and we can sit. We typically get there about 15 minutes prior to Magic the Memories and You (about 45 minutes before fireworks) and sit and chat. Someone will typically go get everyone else a snack so we don't loose our seats. This works every summer for us.

Also with Epcot a few of the quick service places have outdoor seating and if you explain your situation they will not deny you a seat.

By the way I wanted to apologize to all GAP and special entrances users if anything I have ever said on here came off as offensive. I am in no way against those who need the GAP and special entrance using it. I have only had issue with it in recent years because I have friends who will rent wheel chairs just to skip lines and no one in the party has any condition (as I said they are friends and I see them at least 180 days out of the year) and I know people who will lie to get a GAP even though they don't need it. I always try to educate people I meet who say something about people using GAP that they are for invisible disabilities and are a great service. I have two family members that will need them and would hate to ever have come off as offensive to anyone else who needs them.

I never take offense at anything people say about people who abuse the situation... I see it all the time. I was afraid to get one because I didn't want to be seen as someone who abuses it. It made a magical trip for us (for the first time) and I couldn't have done what I did without it. I was able to view in 3 hours what I wanted to see when somoeone else could do with the whole day. If I could, I would GLADLY give up the GAP if I could have the health necessary to make it through the day. No one was mean to me (other than at the fireworks) On my next trip I will ask CM's where the handicapped areas are for the fireworks at Magic Kingdom and try again there. Thank you for all your help!

Annielkd

Original Poster
Two summers ago I had to get a GAC due to surgery healing taking longer than expected (busy summer crowds+pins sticking out of my toes=not good). I must say even though you could tell there was something wrong (all my toes bandaged up etc) I got some rude comments and many nasty stares from people, including a comment behind my back about faking it.
I must also say that if you need it, use it. The cast members are great at making your vacation the best possible. Also, the first aid stations are great! I had to use them a couple of times to fix bandages etc and they are a great addition to the park so that we did not have to trek all the way back to the resort.

I didn't use the first aid stations because we were satisfied each day with what we did and could return to our resort happy! I think it's horrible that people can be so mean... I'm sure that stuck with you and made the trip just a little bit more unpleasant. It's bad enough having to be in pain while you are there, but then when someone is nasty, it's just that much harder. If I had run into this while I was there it might have made things less pleasant. I don't know how Chirstmas will be... I hope people are just as kind. (We MIGHT even go in July because this trip was so good.)

loveofamouse

Yes, SNs is special needs.

Yes, if you are having a problem with a cast member, report it. One trip, the last time we used a baby stroller (by the next trip, he had his first wheelchair), this stickers for "stroller as wheelchair" kept getting damaged. This last one got damaged in folding so we went to GS at epcot. Normally, those stickers are red but GS gave us a white one. We headed over to Nemo first. Normally, strollers aren't allowed in the aquarium area. This was also the trip that we dealt with a lot of CMs at MK yelling to park our stroller before noticing sticker and pass so we were ready for this. Anywho, we walked into the builing with GAC in hand held out. Of course, the CM immediately yelled for us to get the stroller out of there. I held the pass up higher. She persisted. I put it in her face.

Here's where she got really stupid.

Despite the card stamped stroller as wheelchair AND the alt. entrance stamp AND the sticker, the woman had the nerve to accuse me of STEALING a SW sticker and attempting to use it at a Disney park. :eek: What?!?! At that point, I was irate. lol. I told her she was an idiot and that despite the fact that the sticker DID come from WDW GS, IT WOULD HAVE THE SAME MEANING! lol Plus the GAC was stamped the same. She persisted that it wasn't a WDW sticker cause WDW's are red. I had her get a manager. The manager perceeded to tell her she was an idiot (in not exact words) and that yes, WDW DOES have white stickers when they run out of red. He also told her that despite the color of the sticker, the GAC card is what she was trained to look at and it gave all information needed. He, then, made her give us a full verbal apology and offered us free fast passes for the day (which we really didn't need cause of the GAC but it's the thought, right? lol). He, then, pulled her off that position and sent her to the back. I really felt this woman was not the brightest crayon in the box and just rude as all get out.

Annielkd

Original Poster
I really don't understand why people are that ignorant. If she wasn't sure, why didn't she get help? If I worked there and I believed you stole something or forged something, I would get a manager, first to confirm my suspicions (of course this was wrong) but, then secondly to do something about it. i think if someone was to forge/steal a pass they have the right to have you expelled from the park. She didn't need to yell, belittle you, she should have asked for assistance. I suspect that some people do abuse things... I saw a woman hand her pass to her kids to go on a ride, but it clearly says not to do that. I would have LOVED them to get caught. It's hard enough having a child with special needs, but then to have someone yell at you when you are in the right is a shame.

Spikerdink

Guests of mine have used the GAC pass for a variety of reasons (austistic son, ADHD son, systemic lupus, recovering from radiation following cancer treatment) and from looking at any of them, you could not tell they were ill. But each needed the assistance that Disney offered and the vacations for all were greatly enhanced.

However, I have seen people trying to scam the system. I once viewed two people in using a wheelchair. They stopped in the middle of the roadway by Pirates and the one sitting got up and had the other one sit and off they went to the next ride. They knew they were scamming, and enjoyed every minute of it.

When I used to use mass transit to commute to work, there was a corvette that was parked in handicapped every morning, without fail. I once watched as the train pulled in, a young woman jumped out of the car, locked the doors and ran up the ramp onto the train. Day after day this would happen. I thought, well, maybe she has an issue that I can't see and why should I judge her. One day I happened to walk past her car and saw her roller blades and other work out gear on the passenger seat. So I took a look at the handicapped sticker - it was issued for her grandfather. She just wanted a way to have a better parking place where her car was not near other cars and she did not have to wait in the rain and cold when the weather was poor.

PEople will look for a loophole and exploit it to their benefit.

If anyone should question you, look them in the eye with a smile and say, "My disability is not visible to the naked eye. Just like your lack of compassion was until you spoke."

Annielkd

Original Poster
Guests of mine have used the GAC pass for a variety of reasons (austistic son, ADHD son, systemic lupus, recovering from radiation following cancer treatment) and from looking at any of them, you could not tell they were ill. But each needed the assistance that Disney offered and the vacations for all were greatly enhanced.

However, I have seen people trying to scam the system. I once viewed two people in using a wheelchair. They stopped in the middle of the roadway by Pirates and the one sitting got up and had the other one sit and off they went to the next ride. They knew they were scamming, and enjoyed every minute of it.

When I used to use mass transit to commute to work, there was a corvette that was parked in handicapped every morning, without fail. I once watched as the train pulled in, a young woman jumped out of the car, locked the doors and ran up the ramp onto the train. Day after day this would happen. I thought, well, maybe she has an issue that I can't see and why should I judge her. One day I happened to walk past her car and saw her roller blades and other work out gear on the passenger seat. So I took a look at the handicapped sticker - it was issued for her grandfather. She just wanted a way to have a better parking place where her car was not near other cars and she did not have to wait in the rain and cold when the weather was poor.

PEople will look for a loophole and exploit it to their benefit.

If anyone should question you, look them in the eye with a smile and say, "My disability is not visible to the naked eye. Just like your lack of compassion was until you spoke."

At first while I was reading this I said, I can run a short distance... I'll pay for in in two hours, but I could do it. Then I said, I go shopping and I'm sure people can't see my limp... but, it's killing me. BUT, when you said the pass isn't for her... that's horrible. I have my name on both sided.

On another thread I saw, someone said that two people had an issue and they would take turns switching on who rode and who walked. I didn't believe it then... the people I saw were driving the thing like teenagers and laughing about "who's turn it was". So, I can see why people think people like me might be scamming. They don't see me have to leave early... they don't see how bad it is after about 3 hours, and they don't see all the medicaitons I have to take as a result. I LOVE the comment about it being not visible to the naked eye. That's a great one that I'll have to remember.

GOT2SAMMIES

Wow! I just saw this GAC and was wondering how it is percieved at the parks. My mom just has her 3rd (yes 3rd and she is only 60) open heart surgery 4 weeks ago (AVC). She had it done at Florida hospital Orlando and I was lucky enough to be with her for 3 weeks (22 miles from WDW and couldnt go:eek:). On the flipside I did get to see the WD Pavillion which was so cute! It got me thinking..what is she is still short winded and having trouble with stairs when we (me and my son) visit in Aug (we visit almost every Aug and at least spend one day at the park). You can't tell by looking at her (unless she wears a shirt that shows her scar) that she does have a disability, this GAC would be great for her. Im glad there are people out there that do not judge a book by its cover:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom