Guardians of the Galaxy - Monsters After Dark coming this Halloween

mickEblu

That's true, but why not add a relatively inexpensive evening addition to a popular attraction? It's an exclusive experience that has the potential to draw a few extra thousand people through the turnstiles each night for a couple of months. To you and me running the overlay all day seems logical, but to Disney offering the experience only in the evening is clever gimmick designed to get locals to come to the park and stay longer or come late (and thus spend more money), and it's working. Related: Limited run of The Main Street Electrical Parade

But aren't there plenty of locals coming every night anyway? Especially during a seasonal overlay where most things can't be enjoyed until night time anyway? Last week I got to experience Halloween at DCA for 45 minutes ( 7:15pm to 8:00pm: the time the sun went down to park closing).

Magenta Panther

I'm really not that into Halloween and even less into Knott's. A show like The Hanging isn't something that would be on my radar.

I'm kind of in sync with you on this. I like Halloween, but not gross gory maggotty chainsaw Halloween. I like eerie, ghostly, candle-in-a-pumpkin, black cat, old Victorian house type of Halloween. The Haunted Mansion is my kind of Halloween. Cabin in the Woods, not so much. :p

D

Deleted member 107043

But aren't there plenty of locals coming every night anyway? Especially during a seasonal overlay where most things can't be enjoyed until night time anyway?

I have no clue what's really going on, I'm just guessing. Over the years one of my take-aways from the message boards has been that significant numbers of APs regularly arrive late in the day or just drop in for just a few hours for a meal, hit a few rides, maybe see a show, shop and leave. Again, I have no factual data to back this up, just what I've observed from reading fan boards over the years. Assuming this is true then Disney appears to be leveraging these traffic patterns as a way to increase revenue with limited time evening programming.

GiveMeTheMusic

I got to ride last night (finally!) and thoroughly enjoyed MAD. Very effective overlay, and much easier to follow story wise than MB. I love that the CMs are into it and play it up.

The song is dumb, but you can barely understand it anyway. My only real complaint is the title says “Monsters” and there’s only one? Minor though I suppose.

Professortango1

Thomas decided not to run fastpasses through the whole night for MAD, and all the managers were relaying that there would be no fastpasses.. stand by only. So I was super po’ed that I couldn’t ride my favorite ride on my last day.

Why couldn't you ride? The ride wasn't shut down, just Fastpass was. You could wait standby.

vancee

Why couldn't you ride? The ride wasn't shut down, just Fastpass was. You could wait standby.
Umm.. the line of people waiting for fast passes was turned into stand by, and that line went all the way into backstage and into bugs land. I was not going to wait that long...

Professortango1

Umm.. the line of people waiting for fast passes was turned into stand by, and that line went all the way into backstage and into bugs land. I was not going to wait that long...
So you could ride, you just didn't want to wait in line.

With all 3 towers going and no fastpass, the line moves really quickly.

SoManyWasps

So you could ride, you just didn't want to wait in line.

With all 3 towers going and no fastpass, the line moves really quickly.
Agreed. I got in line right when the ride started back up at 6PM for Monsters After Dark, and was outside the main gate in the standby line. Cast members said it would be an hour. We were on the ride in 35 minutes. Side note, the night time queue does a really good job of amping up the tension. The regular ride is thrilling and fun. At night, it becomes a little more intimidating.

vancee

Agreed. I got in line right when the ride started back up at 6PM for Monsters After Dark, and was outside the main gate in the standby line. Cast members said it would be an hour. We were on the ride in 35 minutes. Side note, the night time queue does a really good job of amping up the tension. The regular ride is thrilling and fun. At night, it becomes a little more intimidating.
That was my plan, but as I said they turned the fast pass distribution line into standby (which was way in backstage and into bugs land)... plus I had a maxpass for haunted mansion an hour later.

Ismael Flores

was at the resort till closing. DCA was packed. I was amazed at how packed Carsland was and people were having lots of fun. Every line for snacks and alcohol was at least 50 people long.
Guardians and then MAD had a huge line. At 10pm MAD had a 127 minute wait.
Looked like Anaheim has a hit with the Halloween overlay for DCA.

What surprised me for a non holiday was the huge amount of tourist. We met people from Northern California, New Orleans, Georgia, Chicago, as well as from Europe and Australia as we waited in lines and then while we saw WOC.
I was really surprised to see lots of people from the east coast complimenting how much more they were enjoying Anaheim over Orlando’s offerings as well as the upkeep of the place.

nevol

But aren't there plenty of locals coming every night anyway? Especially during a seasonal overlay where most things can't be enjoyed until night time anyway? Last week I got to experience Halloween at DCA for 45 minutes ( 7:15pm to 8:00pm: the time the sun went down to park closing).
They are so inept. Overlaying the entire park and offering a unique attraction only at night, and then closing at 8pm.

mickEblu

I just rode Monsters After Dark today and I loved it! It's exactly what I expected to get from the original version/ MB but didn't get. MAD really utilizes the ride system and I absolutely loved the drop profile and how unpredictable it was. I had no idea what to expect and I was genuinely terrified for a good portion of the ride. It didn't feel bouncy like MB does.

I think the heavy metal(?) music works much better with this ride than the uppity oldies they use in MB. Also, I like the fact that you only see the monster, Groot and rocket. There is something about CGI that seems much less cheesy when human beings are NOT involved.

Emmanuel

I just rode Monsters After Dark today and I loved it! It's exactly what I expected to get from the original version/ MB but didn't get. MAD really utilizes the ride system and I absolutely loved the drop profile and how unpredictable it was. I had no idea what to expect and I was genuinely terrified for a good portion of the ride. It didn't feel bouncy like MB does.

Funny you mentioned the drop profile. They're pretty much using the "Born to be wild" drop profile for MAD

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom