Guardians of the Galaxy - Monsters After Dark coming this Halloween

NobodyElse

Why is this type of show playing at a theme park with a long standing reputation for family friendly entertainment? Why would they do this to their brand? Makes zero sense to me.

I've never actually attended, but it always seemed clear to me by their advertising that they wanted to make a real distinction from regular Knott's Berry Farm (to the point of "changing the name" to Knott's Scary Farm). It always seemed obvious to me that it was not a place for kids. Then, I found this on their web site:
upload_2017-9-23_16-23-28.png

So, yeah - I'm not sure what they're thinking over there.

*Sarcastic Edit:
I'd like to go skydiving? Does my infant in a baby-bjorn need his own ticket? :eek:

Phroobar

Why is this type of show playing at a theme park with a long standing reputation for family friendly entertainment? Why would they do this to their brand? Makes zero sense to me.

No kidding.

(NSFW) http://www.themeparkinsider.com/art/2017/elvira.jpg

What are they thinking?? I'll stop now. Sorry, I'm just so perplexed by this.
I think its more tradition. The Hanging has been playing for 38 years. Knott's haunt is where the park makes most of its money and it isn't family friendly by definition.

Last edited:

D.Silentu

I've never actually attended, but it always seemed clear to me by their advertising that they wanted to make a real distinction from regular Knott's Berry Farm (to the point of "changing the name" to Knott's Scary Farm). It always seemed obvious to me that it was not a place for kids. Then, I found this on their web site:

Funny that they charge infants admission, nonsensical as it seems it probably is a great deterrent! I absolutely agree that there really needs to be more common sense when it comes to children and these events. I have been to many, Knotts included, and seen my share of sobbing kids. It’s really too bad. The fun of an event like Haunt is to get artificially scared. A monster pops out, you jump or scream, and then you laugh to yourself about getting scared by something that’s pretend! It’s a celebration of irreverence. Incidentally, The Hanging show plays into this idea as it makes light of the world, it’s just the execution of it that’s dreadful.

Yet, children are ill equipped for such events because they’re based on a concept that’s tough for them to grasp. Scary can be fun? That’s abstract to a child and, much like sarcasm, takes awhile to be learned against the black and white worldview most children have. My friends and I once debated how old a person should be before going to a Halloween event. We never reached any consensus. Each event is different, as is each child, so I suppose it comes down to a calculation of those factors. I only wish more people would make the effort, because what a kid might learn is that they don‘t like it, when in reality they just weren‘t ready yet.

D

Deleted member 107043

I think its more tradition. The Hanging has been playing for 37 years. Knott's haunt is where the park makes most of its money and it isn't family friendly by definition.

Has it always been so raunchy?

TP2000

Original Poster

That's the part I don't get. I've never been to Knott's Scary Farm, and have no intention of going, but I've heard talk of this "Hanging" show and how it parodies current events and likes to poke fun at Disneyland. Okay. I'll take my current event parody via a good seat at Beach Blanket Babylon every few years, but that's just me.

But watching this show on YouTube is a real head scratcher. Obvious political jokes done by second-string SNL writers, and the low hanging fruit of making fun of Disneyland. Check.

But then Elvira's microphone isn't plugged in and a gaggle of shirtless dancing boys come out (literally if not figuratively) and things get raunchy and just weird? Now cue the Woooo! brigade in the audience. That's the show? It's like the writers were drunk and bored and sexually frustrated all at the same time. I think I'd rather ride the Calico Mine Train instead. :rolleyes:

Phroobar

Yes. All 38 years. I'm surprised you've never heard of it.

But then Elvira's microphone isn't plugged in and a gaggle of shirtless dancing boys come out (literally if not figuratively) and things get raunchy and just weird? Now cue the Woooo! brigade in the audience. That's the show? It's like the writers were drunk and bored and sexually frustrated all at the same time. I think I'd rather ride the Calico Mine Train instead. :rolleyes:

Elvira isn't part of the Hanging. That was just a technical problem for the opening night. She has her own show with singing and dancing in the Charles M Schwartz Theater. Yes, plenty of shirtless guys in the show. Obviously you've never seen her tv show or her two movies.

Best to stay in the safety of Disney. Your head would explode if you went to Knotts or Universal's Halloween parties. Magic Mountain's Halloween party is pretty tame and very Disney like compared to those two.

Phroobar

I've never seen a baby at that event. No strollers either. I very rarely see kids under 13 there. You see mostly teenagers and a large number of older adults. I'd say the age range is typically 13 to mid 60s. It is starting to have more older people at Haunt. Employees say Haunt is when Knott's goes into the Black financially speaking. It's extremely popular and always sells out.

Travel Junkie

Universal does/did something similar to the Hanging at Knott's for their Horror Nights. They ripped on Disney and other pop culture. Hollywood ended their a couple of years ago after some were offended. This is the last year for Orlando's version of the show.

vancee

So.. the ride overlay was amazing. I went on both Friday and Saturday at the 5 pm (when they switched to the overlay). Used maxpass on Saturday, was really convienent and rode tons of rides with it. There are tons of flaws with Maxpass I’ve found, but I’ll explain later. On Friday I just stood outside the line and waited for them to open the line at 5 PM, I was one of the first on the line. No problems at all. Saturday was a different story, there was tons of people in line for fastpasses, a big line that went into backstage and bugs land. Well, fast pass distribution went down park wide and caused chaos everywhere. They had I swear, about 15 managers with normal business clothing in front of the ride. The head guy, Thomas (I think Bobby Chapek needs to have a talk with him), who apparently is the head manager of the ride decided to run that huge line for fast pass distribution into the standby line. Everyone was uhh, well ed.. people were cutting as they tried to get the line to cross the street. It was mayhem, and of course I get screwed as I was waiting around to be one of the first in stand by. That obviously couldn’t happen since they turned the big huge line for fast pass distribution into the stand by line for Monsters After Dark. Thomas decided not to run fastpasses through the whole night for MAD, and all the managers were relaying that there would be no fastpasses.. stand by only. So I was super po’ed that I couldn’t ride my favorite ride on my last day. Somehow, even though they were not doing fastpasses anymore, I was able to snag a maxpass for 5:05!! I was excited and confused at the same time! If those people found out that you could get a fastpass after being forced in stand by line and being told there will be no fastpasses for the night, they’d probably be even more angry. It was a chaotic mess, and they really need better backup plans when technology like the fast pass distribution system goes down. Even though I got on, I couldn’t believe how much of a mess that night was. Felt bad for the Cast Members.

Last edited:

vancee

Hopefully next year they learn their lesson and realize how popular MAD is and decide to run it the whole day. Putting the ride down for an hour causes a horrific mess outside the ride, with people almost being ran over by the trolly. I hope especially last night’s issue really teaches them a lesson, Thomas was sweating really bad and was using all three of his phones (he had like 4 iPhones on him). He looked panicked, maybe Bobby Chapek was calling him!

mickEblu

Hopefully next year they learn their lesson and realize how popular MAD is and decide to run it the whole day. Putting the ride down for an hour causes a horrific mess outside the ride, with people almost being ran over by the trolly. I hope especially last night’s issue really teaches them a lesson, Thomas was sweating really bad and was using all three of his phones (he had like 4 iPhones on him). He looked panicked, maybe Bobby Chapek was calling him!

I said this a few days ago. It's a cute idea to have a different version after dark. Operationally however, it's stupid. Just run the damn thing all day. It's a 6 week overlay. Why limit it to a few hours a day? Especially when they haven't figured out how to alternate smoothly between versions.

Travel Junkie

I said this a few days ago. It's a cute idea to have a different version after dark. Operationally however, it's stupid. Just run the damn thing all day. It's a 6 week overlay. Why limit it to a few hours a day? Especially when they haven't figured out how to alternate smoothly between versions.

I have to wonder. If they do indeed move the Halloween party to DCA next year, if they don't make MAD only available during the party as a way to "add value" by making it exclusive to the party. MB runs during normal business hours.

TP2000

Original Poster
I'm really not that into Halloween and even less into Knott's. A show like The Hanging isn't something that would be on my radar.

Same here. I prefer my political humor to be more pointed and savvy, and my bump n' grind to be nuanced and tasteful. This very odd show seemed aimed at two demographics; clueless 25 year olds who get their current event "news" from Facebook and undersexed housewives from Buena Park. I am neither.

All that said, I'm thrilled to hear Elvira is still performing! The shirtless dancing boys probably have a funnier point of reference at her show.

vancee

I’ve never seen California Adventure so full in my life on Friday. The Ariel ride was about a 50 minute
wait, it was crazy!! I left early, and it took me forever to get out of the park because of traffic.. Disney can attract tons of people whenever they want. Heck, there’s no more off season now. It’s packed year round!! Too be honest, I think it’s time for another price raise on season pass and day tickets.

D

Deleted member 107043

It’s packed year round!!

I don't know if that's true. It sounds like traffic at both parks was mostly moderate over the summer. In fact about a month ago folks here were saying that MB and Summer of Heroes were a bust in terms of drawing crowds to DCA. The difference between then and now shows the massive impact that the AP program is have on DLR and how dependent Disney is on APs for revenue sustainability and growth. It' appears to be shaping the resort in the long and short term in every way imaginable.

D

Deleted member 107043

Haha Oh i dunno. Maybe the other 80+ attractions at the resort + the seasonal changes in general.

That's true, but why not add a relatively inexpensive evening addition to a popular attraction? It's an exclusive experience that has the potential to draw a few extra thousand people through the turnstiles each night for a couple of months. To you and me running the overlay all day seems logical, but to Disney offering the experience only in the evening is clever gimmick designed to get locals to come to the park and stay longer or come late (and thus spend more money), and it's working. Related: Limited run of The Main Street Electrical Parade

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom