Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! Reviews, Photos, Info

Princess Leia

Ngl, I about jumped out of my seat scrolling past that. Is that Oogie Boogie?

Re Harold and Figment. Figment, while mostly hidden, seems to be treated as a 'real' creature in the collection. Are Harold and Oogie Boogie, (who I'm probably going to have nightmares about tonight), treated as items?

In regards to the naysayers (of which I was for awhile, considering it was a replacement not an addition), I've come on board. The videos I've watched have been phenomenal. My friend out in California was incredibly upset over losing her tower, and had wanted to boycott all things Guardians.... She loved it. She called me after riding and couldn't stop raving about it.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Also... Rohde finally mic drops. The controversy is over, there is no subtext. He's proud of his work and was on board.

https://t.co/sUaFA8q4Kk?amp=1

"Treatment is how stories work. Do you want to hear a story about two girls in a boat, a spaceship, a lost dog, or a man struggling with his identity? How could anyone possibly know? What makes story great is how it is told, not what it is about."

The man restored my faith in him. Maybe the armchair critic bloggers should print out that last sentance and study it REAL hard.

I made a similar comment about music recently. You dont need to connect with the meaning behind the lyrics to enjoy and even sing along. Sometimes fun is just fun. But you still need to make the attraction work with the park to bring the level up for everything

Stevek

Ngl, I about jumped out of my seat scrolling past that. Is that Oogie Boogie?

Re Harold and Figment. Figment, while mostly hidden, seems to be treated as a 'real' creature in the collection. Are Harold and Oogie Boogie, who I'm probably going to have nightmares about tonight), treated as items?

In regards to the naysayers (of which I was for awhile, considering it was a replacement not an addition), I've come on board. The videos I've watched have been phenomenal. My friend out in California was incredibly upset over losing her tower, and had wanted to boycott all things Guardians.... She loved it. She called me after riding and couldn't stop raving about it.
No, it's Dolores the octopus from Country Bears Vacation Hoedown I believe.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Islands of Adventure is a good park and it always has been.
Good, but not good enough to have a breakout for uni. That didnt happen til potter.

Superhero island still suffered and was a bit flat (feel the pun...) even tho spiderman was the best ride created at the time. It wasn't perceived as the best even tho it housed the best attraction.... and who walks around telling people how much they loovedd superhero island?

October82

Thank you for taking the time to explain, though I still think we're arguing different points. Franchise aside, theme aside, there is a lot of talk about what makes something Disney (and conversely Universal.) This is loud (visually and audibly.) This is erratic. This is self-referential. Those are Disney no-no's apparently- take that on up to Universal. These are the boundaries I see being pushed- formulas being messed with.

Disney is often erratic and self-referential. Universal often builds exquisite and orderly worlds. What people are - and have been - criticizing is the execution and the lack of care put into that execution. Guardians doesn't break the rules and fail to innovate because it is loud, it fails because it is constrained by the whims of marketers and timelines. Attempting to describe the approach of this attraction as somehow pushing the boundaries is merely an attempt to excuse a complete lack of adherence to any sort of logic.

What I don't get is why many feel the need to rationalize things in this way. If you like Mission: Breakout, that's perfectly legitimate. Many people will. As someone who has been critical from the beginning, I'm perfectly willing to admit that there are things to like here. But it isn't necessary to invent arguments in order to justify one's aesthetic preferences.

I don't want them to destroy theme as so many keep saying. This is a first step in a new land. It is still very much a work in progress in a park that may change its name and basic concept.

Similarly, I'm not certain what underlies the belief that somehow DCA will be a fundamentally different park, that it will somehow find thematic coherency with a counterpart Marvel rollercoaster on the adjacent expansion pad. Disney has spent several billion dollars over the last two decades in developing the character of DCA and inventing a marketing identity for that park. Today's executives may have made other choices had they been in charge in the late 1990s, and they may make different choices going forward. Those choices are not going to amount to a fundamental alteration of the park - and the resort - in such a way that DCA becomes more cohesive. Marvel land won't fix the problems of Mission: Breakout. And it doesn't need to for people to find something that they like here.

Apparently there is some rule that says the replacement for Universe of Energy has to be about Energy. I do want something that works within Future World's core theme (unless that too is going to change) but I don't see why it can't be about something else even if it's using the same plot of land. This mindset seems awfully restrictive.

A replacement for Energy doesn't need to be about Energy, but it probably should be. Epcot's core mission is about discovery, human achievement and the challenges that face us globally. It's difficult to imagine how Epcot can remain faithful to its identity without an energy pavilion, and it's unlikely that something like Guardians of the Galaxy belongs in Epcot. That isn't to say other IPs can't find a home in Epcot.

If franchise/IP's are so limiting to imagination, try and compare both Pandora and Mission Breakout! The same imagineer headed those projects. As an artist, that kind of variety is very creatively freeing even if the projects were demanded of him from on high.

Again, this is just inconsistent on its face. It isn't necessary to make claims about creatives feeling freed in order to say that thematic diversity is a good thing.

Ismael Flores

By the way here is his reaction video after riding it. He was basically speechless for the first part of the video saying over and over its intense. You can tell in his initial reaction he didn't want to like it but does. He also had to think real hard about wanting to answer if in his opinion its better to ToT or not. He took the easy way out and just said it was a different experience and was awesome.

I just realized that I have met this guy before. I was sitting in front of the tower when it had the upper portion scaffolding removed and was talking to my friend and he started telling us about how things were going to change for Marvel. We mentioned to him we knew and were looking forward to what there is to come. My friend told him he loved the crazy look of the building and how the pipes was capturing the sunlight. He also told him that he hoped they would add more props and some effect lighting.
This guy actually said that yes it did look cool and he was intrigued about how much it would change.

Now that I saw these two videos, never would I have thought he was so upset about the twilight zone theme leaving. Seems like maybe he just didn't want to get into any back and forth arguement about the change. He actually was a really pleasant guy to talk too, very friendly
So weird, especially when I see people taking pictures with him as if he is some big celebrity

Stevek

By the way here is his reaction video after riding it. He was basically speechless for the first part of the video saying over and over its intense. You can tell in his initial reaction he didn't want to like it but does. He also had to think real hard about wanting to answer if in his opinion its better to ToT or not. He took the easy way out and just said it was a different experience and was awesome.

That video was about 16 minutes and 18 seconds too long : )

Stevek

That's hysterical how fast he changed his tune. One ride on opening day, and he's been converted. Funny how that happens.

And this guy is like the poster child for Neckbeard Bloggers everywhere. If this guy - who spent 10 minutes video blogging his Tower of Terror Is Closing! nerd-rage from a Marriott hotel room at ComicCon 2016 - can be totally thrilled and entertained by Mission: Breakout... can you imagine how much fun the average tourist family from Boise will have on this thing?

I know I certainly enjoyed my two rides this morning. It's a really unique and different E Ticket for Disneyland Resort, extremely well done and technologically impressive, and a heckuva lot of fun. With an awesome soundtrack to boot.

And Dusty Sage from Micechat has also changed his tune after riding? Color me... not surprised. :cool:
For me, and some others I believe, it was never really about the ride per se but more about if it fit the theme of the area which I would argue it still does not. That being said, there will be plenty of people that poo poo'd the theme but will now call it the best thing ever...cuz Disney fans.

ptaylor

Premium Member

Curious Constance

There are even easter eggs outside of GotG:

https://twitter.com/AgentM/status/868873971550257153

Possible indication of whats to come to DCA?

From today's MiceChat update:

"While those on-ride videos became Internet sensations accidentally, one element of the media events that fell totally flat was the faux hazmat scene themed to the Avengers that was artfully staged just past the ride near the Hollywood trolley station. No one attending the Thursday media party or the Friday $150 preview party cared about it, and Burbank’s plan for that hazmat scene to “go viral” failed completely. The goal was to give people a big hint about the new Avengers high tech coaster E Ticket now greenlit for the expansion pad just beyond the trolley station, which is an attraction Miceage Updates have been mentioning for over a year. When you try hard to make something go viral, it usually fails. The folks at those events were there to see the Guardians of the Galaxy, not the Avengers."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom