Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! Reviews, Photos, Info

October82

I think one of us is not understanding the other and I'm not honestly sure who. I was saying the imagineers should be able to mess with the Disney formula from time to time. That in pushing the boundaries, even if it doesn't quite work, will teach them new things going forward.

The comment that I quoted was in response to a claim that Disney shouldn't "mess with the formula". That formula is a set of long established practices about how theme parks and attractions are designed, which is broken by the mandate to market a franchise in the parks. The point you're making here is inconsistent, you are not talking about pushing boundaries, you are talking about designing attractions to market franchises, which is an explicit restriction on the ability of creatives to innovate.

I would love creatives to make decisions, but I do not in any way imagine a company that can function with a bunch of artist's starting off with blank pages. Every step in a project, whether starting with an IP or "wholly original" will have it's borders and restrictions defined along the way. From budget, theme, accessibility, technology, time-frame, etc.

This is a great example of doubling down on that inconsistency. It's an attempt to justify how decisions are made by relabelling restrictions placed upon them as innovative, while not actually arguing for anything that resembles innovation. You don't innovate by telling creatives what they should consider innovative.

Of course, that doesn't mean that business realities don't exist. Innovation is expensive. Sometimes you can't afford to innovate. But you don't get around that problem by calling whatever you do "innovative" or "boundary pushing". That's just marketing.

Curious Constance

Here's a pretty good video of the Free Ride version, where Baby Groot has to push the anti-gravity button to restore order.

I'm still waiting for a YouTube offering of the Jackson Five "I Want You Back" version, which I rode yesterday. I loved that one!

Doesn't your top hat blow all over on this ride?

TP2000

Original Poster
Doesn't your top hat blow all over on this ride?

They actually have a bench and a storage area right outside the lift doors, and the nice young lady operating the ride offered to put it there for me. When I returned she was brushing the fibers in a clockwise direction with a fine horsehair brush for me. They think of everything at Disneyland.

Curious Constance

They actually have a bench and a storage area right outside the lift doors, and the nice young lady operating the ride offered to put it there for me. When I returned she was brushing the fibers in a clockwise direction with a fine horsehair brush for me. They think of everything at Disneyland.
LOL!!!

TP2000

Original Poster
ROCKET RACCOON SPOILER ALERT!

Here's anothing video of the "Tivan's Office" pre-show. While the quality isn't great, it's notable because it finally shows how Rocket enters the room.... he falls out of the air conditioning duct. This ride has so many clever little details that are so well done!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hey, if anyone goes to M:B, please get some good shots of the Collectorese alphabet. Both the normal font and the stenciled. Still looking for how to write B, K, Q, and Z.

The_Bellringer

Do you have the official Disneyland App? You can check Disneyland wait times for free from anywhere on the planet, and it's extremely helpful and informative when you are in the parks.

Right now, 1:30 pm in the middle of a gorgeously sunny and 75 degree Memorial Day Weekend, the Disneyland Resort is not very busy because there is a Triple AP Blockout in effect this weekend. Wait times for everything are one third (or less) as long as they were last weekend when the AP's were not blocked out and the cheap SoCal Spring ticket promotion was in effect.

But Mission: BREAKOUT! has the longest line by far at 1:30pm

Mission: BREAKOUT! - 120 minutes
Radiator Springs Racers - 65 minutes
Hyperspace Mountain - 60 minutes
Soarin' Around the World & Splash Mt. - 45 minutes
Indiana Jones Adventure & Star Tours - 30 minutes
Pirates, Haunted Mansion & Thunder Mt. - 20 minutes
California Screamin' & Autopia - 15 minutes

Most other attractions are listed at 5 or 10 minutes in both parks. What is the most interesting is how Mission: BREAKOUT! has changed the Fastpass dynamic. Right now there are still Fastpasses available for Radiator Springs Racers for 8:15pm and it's already 1:35pm. Until Mission: BREAKOUT! opened, Fastpasses for Radiator Racers would have been gone by 10:00am. That's a monumental shift in Fastpass strategy for park goers on only the second day of operation! Fastpasses for Mission: BREAKOUT! are all gone for the day, obviously.

The real test is tomorrow, Monday 5/29, when the AP's become unblocked. It will be an absolute zoo at the Disneyland Resort. We'll check on wait times again tomorrow at this time and I can guarantee they will all be much higher.
When is the best time to go during the summer if I don't have an annual pass? I want to avoid as much APs as possible as I will only be there 2 days with family.

I know this is a bit off topic, but I've heard the summer is not so bad anymore as there is a lot of block days for APs.

Californian Elitist

When is the best time to go during the summer if I don't have an annual pass? I want to avoid as much APs as possible as I will only be there 2 days with family.

I know this is a bit off topic, but I've heard the summer is not so bad anymore as there is a lot of block days for APs.

Your best bet is to go during the week, excluding Friday.

sedati

The comment that I quoted was in response to a claim that Disney shouldn't "mess with the formula". That formula is a set of long established practices about how theme parks and attractions are designed, which is broken by the mandate to market a franchise in the parks. The point you're making here is inconsistent, you are not talking about pushing boundaries, you are talking about designing attractions to market franchises, which is an explicit restriction on the ability of creatives to innovate.

This is a great example of doubling down on that inconsistency. It's an attempt to justify how decisions are made by relabelling restrictions placed upon them as innovative, while not actually arguing for anything that resembles innovation. You don't innovate by telling creatives what they should consider innovative.

Of course, that doesn't mean that business realities don't exist. Innovation is expensive. Sometimes you can't afford to innovate. But you don't get around that problem by calling whatever you do "innovative" or "boundary pushing". That's just marketing.

Thank you for taking the time to explain, though I still think we're arguing different points. Franchise aside, theme aside, there is a lot of talk about what makes something Disney (and conversely Universal.) This is loud (visually and audibly.) This is erratic. This is self-referential. Those are Disney no-no's apparently- take that on up to Universal. These are the boundaries I see being pushed- formulas being messed with.

I don't want them to destroy theme as so many keep saying. This is a first step in a new land. It is still very much a work in progress in a park that may change its name and basic concept.

On another thread there's a debate over the lack of narration or explicit story on "Navi River Journey." Some have said that since Disney boat rides all have this (forgetting Small World) then this broke some kind of rule and it should be corrected.
Apparently there is some rule that says the replacement for Universe of Energy has to be about Energy. I do want something that works within Future World's core theme (unless that too is going to change) but I don't see why it can't be about something else even if it's using the same plot of land. This mindset seems awfully restrictive.

If franchise/IP's are so limiting to imagination, try and compare both Pandora and Mission Breakout! The same imagineer headed those projects. As an artist, that kind of variety is very creatively freeing even if the projects were demanded of him from on high.

mickEblu

I wonder if all 6 scenarios are available in all 3 shafts? Also, any early front runner for best scenario? That sounds like a good Idea for a thread.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Here's a pretty good video of the Free Ride version, where Baby Groot has to push the anti-gravity button to restore order.

I'm still waiting for a YouTube offering of the Jackson Five "I Want You Back" version, which I rode yesterday. I loved that one!

I think so far this is my favorite one, without having ridden it myself. Hopefully going in the next couple weeks. It could be because I like "Free Ride", or maybe Baby Groot getting involved more, I don't know. But it looks to be the most fun with the scenes and the song combined.

jbphotos

i'm really excited about all the easter eggs knowing some are hinting at future things!!
really makes you wonder about maybe a return of alien encounter & a revamp for figment :) we can dream lol

flynnibus

Premium Member
I made the mistake of wadding deep into twitter. I love you guys, even when we argue (incessantly), people wind up civil and happy at the end of the day... usually. A few twitter users are having a melt down because things didn't go their way and people like the attraction. Andy Castro is spinning and is equally enraged about Pandora. It's one thing that people are upset and have concerns, it's another to watch people who get joy out of failure...

Yawn... the kid was never much of an independent thinker to start with. He was put into a spot to break the site's dependency on darkbeer... rode that gig to create a following... then started hanging out with the echo-box kids and started mimicking them.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom