Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! Reviews, Photos, Info

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Having Figment in there just rubs me the wrong way. Harold fine, I hate the self referencing crap but whatever. The park is across the street. But having a character from a classic attraction from the east coast seems like pandering to the Disney geeks. I don't know how to put it into words, maybe someone else can.

No, you got it right. It's cheap pandering to the Disney nerds but in an overlay that is full of references, in-jokes, nods and winks to Disney owned products I dont think it hurts anything. It's another thing to distract people in line and it also gave at least one poor Imagineer working on this project something fun to do.

Kman101

Having watched a few videos, I really like the Rocket animatronic. I don't love the wink wink nudge nudge parts but it works for Guardians and their style of humor. I didn't love the "it's Disneyland" either but that's a very MINOR quibble. The ride looks fun as heck. I like the use of the music in the ride and seeing a few different scenes on screens/projections during the drops. It's well done for what it is and what they had to work with. I'm looking forward to whenever I can ride it. I preferred WDW's ToT to DCA's so I'm fine with the change. I don't want it at WDW but I think they made a much better ride for DCA's Tower than the budget cut version of Tower of Terror that was there before. I'm also a fan of parks having different attractions than the other.

sedati

Cars Land and Car Land are great examples.

If Car Land had been pursued than this likely would have needed a major sponsor as per the old way of doing things. No matter how wonderfully original and thought out the concepts created by the imagineers, that sponsor would have both the power of vetoing certain ideas, and the ability to insist on certain changes. Not to mention their presence being felt within the park (intrusive in my opinion- corporate sponsors ruin the illusion and bring in too much of the real world.) This can be as subtle as signage or as blatant as long pre and post shows that are little more than commercials. I can't imagine what sponsor would agree to split the bill for the massive backdrop that was required to block out Anaheim and the Electrical Towers- millions spent for the sake of sight-lines and not pushing their corporate message.

mergatroid

Having Figment in there just rubs me the wrong way. Harold fine, I hate the self referencing crap but whatever. The park is across the street. But having a character from a classic attraction from the east coast seems like pandering to the Disney geeks. I don't know how to put it into words, maybe someone else can.

Worrying about little things so much is unhealthy? ;)

c-one

I think the Figment and Harold (and TOT bellhop hat) cameos are cute. Disney has done the hidden Mickey thing for how long now? I think of it as just a further spin on those visual Easter eggs. I know people still have PTSD from the old self-referential DCA but the larger problem then was that the rides sucked and the entire place was built on the cheap. Cloying earnestness doesn't fit with Guardians at all. It's good to see the imagineers can do more than one vibe.

Californian Elitist

Pirates of the Caribbean in Shanghai is quite possibly the best attraction in the world, highly creative, reinvents what we thought possible with an attraction and is a real boon to what modern WDI can dream up if given the reigns and budget.

The hilarious thing is not only is it a rip off of an original, it's dripping with intellectual property.

The two (IP and creativity) are not mutually exclusive it turns out!

This I'm not arguing... obviously using IP is not more creative than doing something original. Your implication and often the implication on the board is that if IP is used it's not creative at all. Original is not leaps and bounds superior, as is often implied directly or with subtlety here. I think that's what Rohde addresses: the moral superiority of a story does not come from where it started. As long as Disney doesn't give us book reports, that's where story creativity falls off. Even still a ride can be creative even if the story is a rehash in some instances.

I can't speak on Shanghai's Pirates, since I've never ridden it.

I never said using IP = no creativity. What I did say is original concepts for rides and attractions allow for more creativity, in comparison to those that are based on single IPs.

Californian Elitist

It's all in the execution IMO. Attractions not based on existing IP can also be good (Journey Into Imagination) but can also be bad too (Journey Into Imagination with Figment).

Aside from Mystic Manor, IASW, and Journey, I'd be pretty hard pressed to find many Disney attractions that are totally original ideas and would work on today's audiences if they didn't have 50 years of nostalgia working for them.

Like I said in another post, most of what you'd consider to be "wholly fresh" is still pretty derivative of existing IP -- either that or it's based on history/fact/real locations, is a mode of transportation, or is so incredibly vague story-wise it really doesn't matter. Never built concepts don't count... they were never built for a reason.

Creating something based on historical facts, people, places, etc. is different from creating something based on a movie, in my opinion. When I say "wholly fresh," I'm referencing to attractions like Mansion, Pirates, etc. Those are still original concepts based on ideas and not intellectual properties and movies.

George Lucas on a Bench

Having the Yeti and Spyro in there is the kind of meta crap they pulled when they replaced the crystal room in the Matterhorn. I'm surprised the Hatbox Ghost scene didn't have him coming out of a crate from the WDI warehouse.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It just goes to show that Disney really does know what they are doing despite what certain people around here say. The loss of a little bit of ROA for a great waterfalls and train bridges and SWL will be great additions to the best park in the world.

A lot of things look flawless when you put on the blinders.

A ride like Indy would be a hit anywhere... that doesn't mean it should be put anywhere. Building a successful theme park is more than just building an exciting, popular attraction - see Spider-Man and IOA. The ride was heralded as the industry's best for over a decade... but that alone was not enough to make the IoA break through for a lot of people.

If all you care about is if an attraction is fun and works within itself... then cedar fair is your ideal. A Disney result takes more than elements in isolation.

Point being... just because it's fun doesn't discredit other problems that will hinder other elements.

D

Deleted member 107043

It's just weird. Maybe I'm territorial because Figment is something that belongs to Orlando. Idk like I said, can't really explain it.

They're supposed to rotate props in and out so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on what's on display at the moment since at least some of it, if not all, is temporary.

Curious Constance

Oh, so the Guardians tower is not actually covered in ***** symbols as a big middle finger to the Bobs then as Micechat theorised. Good to know.
Joe Rohde is a popular man at the moment. Some people have held a big earing party in his honour!
View attachment 207171

Is it okay if I still think of them as phallic symbols even though it appears that was not at all the intention?

Curious Constance

That's hysterical how fast he changed his tune. One ride on opening day, and he's been converted. Funny how that happens.

And this guy is like the poster child for Neckbeard Bloggers everywhere. If this guy - who spent 10 minutes video blogging his Tower of Terror Is Closing! nerd-rage from a Marriott hotel room at ComicCon 2016 - can be totally thrilled and entertained by Mission: Breakout... can you imagine how much fun the average tourist family from Boise will have on this thing?

I know I certainly enjoyed my two rides this morning. It's a really unique and different E Ticket for Disneyland Resort, extremely well done and technologically impressive, and a heckuva lot of fun. With an awesome soundtrack to boot.

And Dusty Sage from Micechat has also changed his tune after riding? Color me... not surprised. :cool:

"Neckbeard bloggers" LOL

I bet beckbeard bloggers work on cubicle farms, don't they?

Curious Constance

upload_2017-5-28_10-1-49.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom