Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! Reviews, Photos, Info

mickEblu

I went last night.

To Disneyland, sillies, not Guardians of the Galaxy. They should block out the passes and open Marvel funny book rides in DCA more often. There was nobody at Disneyland. I must have done The Haunted Mansion between 30 and 40 times. I haven't seen it like that in a long time, especially on a Friday night.

Whats your favorite part of the Haunted Mansion? Gun to your head. You have to pick something.

Travel Junkie

The exterior is still hideous but the ride is mindless fun. Rockett AA is awesome. The interior is better than the outside but I still didn't like it much. The vehichle is constantly in motion. Even in shows scenes the vehicle is slightly bobbing up and down at least in my version.

when the doors open and you see Disneyland Rockett says Disneyland hey that's thematically inconsistent. I had laugh that they made a joke about it.

The merch line is massive. It goes outside and then back in. I'm sure Disney is happy today

Curious Constance

The exterior is still hideous but the ride is mindless fun. Rockett AA is awesome. The interior is better than the outside but I still didn't like it much. The vehichle is constantly in motion. Even in shows scenes the vehicle is slightly bobbing up and down at least in my version.

when the doors open and you see Disneyland Rockett says Disneyland hey that's thematically inconsistent. I had laugh that they made a joke about it.

The merch line is massive. It goes outside and then back in. I'm sure Disney is happy today
When you have a Fastpass, do you still get to go through the entire interior queue area or do you have to miss some of it?

Donaldfan1934

Yes, the crowd tonight seemed very excited about it all.

Here's a thorough review of the entire attraction from a guy who is a die-hard Tower of Terror fan and has already been on the new Guardians ride seventeen (17!) times in the last two days.

Not surprising at this point, but his review is extremely positive. He loved it.

At the 12:00 minute mark he has a really good point about Rocket Raccoon pointing out Disneyland from the open doors, and this being the first Anaheim ride that actually references and mentions the word "Disneyland".

These reactions from hardcore Disney fans say it all. I went to the premiere party last night and to my surprise, I can not only say that this attraction is much better than expected, but that it's actually (lock and load) a much more fun ride than ToT. Despite claims of it being more intense, its actually a more bouncy and enjoyable experience. This isn't to say that I'd prefer them to replace ToT at DHS, but it does make me more excited to see what type of ride they could create when left to their own devices. All in all, this is a genuinely great ride experience that will greatly exceed your expectations.

Last edited:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I went last night.

To Disneyland, sillies, not Guardians of the Galaxy. They should block out the passes and open Marvel funny book rides in DCA more often. There was nobody at Disneyland. I must have done The Haunted Mansion between 30 and 40 times. I haven't seen it like that in a long time, especially on a Friday night.
I was there too. Disneyland was a DREAM. No lines, on ANYTHING. Jungle Cruise was a literal walk straight onto the boat. Rode Pirates 3 times in a row walking straight into the building each time (before 8pm). Haunted Mansion 5 times, same thing.

On the way out, I saw people from the GotG party with their various artifacts of swag. Couldn't catch any verbal praise, everyone looked exhausted.

But, heard from my friend there this morning and said lines stretched back as far as opening gates. :eek::eek::eek:

D

Deleted member 107043

I was there too. Disneyland was a DREAM. No lines, on ANYTHING. Jungle Cruise was a literal walk straight onto the boat. Rode Pirates 3 times in a row walking straight into the building each time (before 8pm). Haunted Mansion 5 times, same thing.

On the way out, I saw people from the GotG party with their various artifacts of swag. Couldn't catch any verbal praise, everyone looked exhausted.

But, heard from my friend there this morning and said lines stretched back as far as opening gates. :eek::eek::eek:

I read that World of Pandora in Florida was at capacity this morning and had a 2 hour wait just to enter. The land's only gift shop had a 3 hour queue with merchandise flying off the shelves. With Mission Breakout a confirmed success in California this is a great weekend for Disney Parks in the US.

sedati

Pandora also had cries of "wrong park," but many-many were saying that the decision was so wrongheaded, reactionary, and bad that it spat in the face of every core value Disney had and would rot the company away until it was wholly unrecognizable. They would either boycott these park sections, or the parks entirely- never buy an annual pass again, or worse, take their money to universal. I'm not at all saying valid points weren't made, but what I wrote above isn't even an exaggeration of what some had not only said, but claimed as a unanimous concencus

If I every have the time, I would love to read through either the Guardians, Pandora, Frozen, WDW Hub, Disneyland Fantasy Faire, etc. threads. While long and repetitive, they probably also have all the twists and turns of a great novel.

TP2000

Original Poster
So.... I'm back. I rode Mission: Breakout! twice this morning. I was out the door by 5:30am, stop at Starbucks near Angel Stadium, and in line with a horde in the Esplanade by 6:30am. It was controlled chaos, but the crowds vibe was fun and upbeat. Pardon the stream of conciousness Trip Report/Review here, I'm taking a nap immediately after this....

Was at the tail end of a giant rope drop crowd, and while everyone herded into the ride directly I veered to the right and waited two minutes to grab a Fastpass for 11:20am. Then I backtracked to the end of the Standby line and waited with some very confused tourists who just got caught up in the frenzy; behind me was a nice family from Seattle, and ahead of me was a retired couple from New Zealand (who literally live on a sheep farm!).

Waited about two hours in a shuffling Standby line. They use both sides of the street for Standby queue, with an alley behind Bug's Land used for switchbacks decorated with Guardians posters with CM's entertaining you with props and stuff. The entry lobby is not done justice by photos and videos; it's full of stuff to look at and observe and enjoy. I haven't seen Disney do an elaborate queue like this since Indiana Jones in '95. (Although I hear Pandora queues are done very well too). Unlike the Tower queue where it was set dressing you weren't allowed to enter, they use the entire space here for queue and you wander through all of it, which makes it feel more real than Tower.

Tivan's Office pre-show thing is extremely well done. Very elaborately decorated with lots of "Easter Egg" items in the display cases and bookshelves, stuff from the Disney universe, the Marvel universe, and just the universe in general. And yes, the Rocket animatronic is a fun surprise and extremely impressive to watch. I have not seen the Guardians movies, but the Rocket dialogue sets up the ride perfectly and I needed no further info to follow the plot here. Keep an eye on that Sony Walkman in the display case!

The basement boiler room queue is familiar yet different. They have crammed a lot more stuff into this space. It looks and feels far more elaborate than Tower of Terror. They have dripping water, weird video panels, and lighting effects everywhere. The CM's are into their roles PERFECTLY and really seem to dig their new gig.

And then the ride itself... FANTASTIC!!! My first ride I got the Jackson 5 song, which was so much fun. When Rocket takes over and the ride crashes into the song, everyone in the lift couldn't help but start chair dancing. But then the ride takes over and it starts immediately. Wow. The thing never stops moving; flying up and down, dropping suddenly, shaking, bobbing, bouncing, dropping more. The doors are opening and closing, Rocket is yelling funny lines, the Guardians show up and the action just never stops. This thing makes Tower of Terror feel like an old episode of Lawrence Welk compared to the Guardians being a rock n' roll comedy skit from SNL.

I fought my way out of the gift shop where there were long lines with people buying anything they could get their hands on. I'll save that for later, but they did have a lot of cool old 1980's toys and games for sale in there along with the Guardians souvenirs.

Hollywood Land was now a zoo of people cramming their way into line, and I had 90 minutes until my Fastpass, so I wandered the Backlot area and checked out the Summer of Heroes stuff. You'll need to be familiar with the Marvel gang for that stuff to make sense, but it looked nicely done and already very popular.

Gosh I wish Paul Pressler hadn't built such a crappy, stucco box theme park back in 2001! The Hollywood Backlot area is still a cheap and charmless looking wasteland of failed concepts, no matter how many Summer Of Heroes banners they put up. And the new hyper-themed and obviously expensive Guardians building and ride clashes horribly with the bland, themeless, cheap stucco warehouse buildings that surround it on the fake Sunset Blvd. WDI has a lot of work to do to remake Hollywood Land Backlot into something relevant. :rolleyes:

Second ride at 11:30am was via Fastpass and you zip right into the lobby. You miss a lot of the pre-show displays and the Tivan video via Fastpass, so the explanation from Rocket animatronic in the office is doubly important if you go via Fastpass. Second ride I got Pat Benatar's Hit Me With Your Best Shot, which I was thrilled with. A different experience visually than the Jackson 5, with different Guardians imagery and dialogue from everyone. The screens are extremely impressive. As usual, photos and video don't do justice to how seamlessly they meld and look when you are on the ride.

The crowd reaction both times I rode was genuinely impressed and entertained. The ride experience is so much fun, just bouncy and thrilling and toe-tapping and silly. You can't help but have a huge smile when you get off this ride. People were dancing their way down the exit hallways both times as rock n' roll plays in the hallways.

It was a crazy morning, a bit of a whirlwind, but DCA has an extremely well done and unique new E Ticket to offer. I easily imagine the demographic of the 30 and under set will absolutely love this thing. But this old codger really enjoyed it too. Bravo WDI and TDA! Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! is a huge hit!

Last edited:

britain

It's hard to argue against happy, smiling guests.

I showed YouTube videos of this new ride to my 6 year old girl. Previously she stood in line for Tower of Terror, but had to take the chicken exit because she was too spooked by everything in the queue. After watching these new YouTube videos, she said "this doesn't look scary, daddy, it looks fun! I could go on this."

And the thing is, other than ghosts that could scare little kids, the actual ride part of Tower of Terror was a goofy bouncy experience. It's not nearly the terrifying experience it makes itself out to be. I think this funny IP matches the ride system better than mystery/horror.

My little girl doesn't know that guardians is new in twilight zone is old (other than the telltale black-and-white). Setting aside that this attraction is tied to a more contemporary IP, I think the bigger, more important change is that it now has a more appealing tone for all ages.

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

Hollywood Land was now a zoo of people cramming their way into line, and I had 90 minutes until my Fastpass, so I wandered the Backlot area and checked out the Summer of Heroes stuff. You'll need to be familiar with the Marvel gang for that stuff to make sense, but it looked nicely done and already very popular.

I couldn't believe how jammed Hollywoodland was. The gift shop was insane. Award Wieners had a line of close to 100 people deep. Probably grabbing the I am Groot sipper cup which looks sweet. The alcohol line was packed at 11AM! I guess you need a drink or 3 to stand in a 5 hour line. I'm guessing MarvelLand's green light just got greener.

No Name

I've been too busy to partake in the opening excitement, but I just want to say that I think it looks great.

I find it most interesting how they bumped the build-up foward. The first preshow video takes place before you enter the "library," then we have our introduction to Rocket, and then he interrupts the Collector right at the begging of the ride. Whereas the ToT had more buildup in the ride itself. I think it works very well, it's just very different.

When this was announced, I expected something almost indentical to the ToT in terms of its pace and flow, with the Collector taking us partway through the tour of his facility before Rocket broke out. But I'm glad it's different. It works well.

Overall, solid attraction. Disappointed it came at the expense of another solid attraction, but, still, solid attraction. Now... if Chappie goes back on his word and has this done to DHS's Tower, I will still be very angry.

brb1006

I am SOOOO bitter they turned a classic attraction into THIS. I hardly even like Guardians of the Galaxy except that Chris Pratt is beautiful and baby Groot gives me feels.

They could have turned this into an Avengers ride or something. :banghead: Anyway, I plan on watching the ride on YouTube when I can to get my full review. But for now... I am pretty disappointed.
The true holder for "Classic" goes to the original WDW version.

Ismael Flores

Fun ride! The line moves so fast that I was in the "Gardens of the Galaxy" at 7:55 and in the library by 8:10. But when I exited the line looked like something out of my worst nightmares, so prepare for long waits if you arrive later.

And that's which many level annual passes blocked.

So I wonder what percentage of that people are premium passholder, how many are tourist and how many decided to pay a day ticket even though they are passholders that were blocked today

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom