Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

Curious Constance

I agree that the room looks a bit sparse, but Im not sure about this solution. I don't think the room is large enough for any attempt at forced perspective to be convincing, they would probably just end up looking like tiny boxes. The mirror trick used in Monsters Inc and HPFJ could be used but i dont think that would be very convincing either. I think it would be best if there were just a bit more boxes. Something about the concept art looked a bit more cluttered which i liked.

I agree. Also, per the concept art, it appears the line weaves through all of this. So you'll literally be standing under and walking past all of this.

Suspirian

User RPaul on Micechat just shared
"Andy Castro @21royalstreet on Twitter is reporting that Mission Breakout has been designed to have a 10 year shelf span. After that it'll be replaced by a new IP. According to him, this is Chapek's new plan for the park and we should expect a lot more screen based attractions that can easily be switched out.

Can't say I'm surprised by this one bit. Hopefully Chapek either steps down or is removed from his position because he is not fit to be running Disney parks if this is his plan."

Will you finally stop defending this project? The man's plan, at least during his first year "in office," with no experience or respect for parks and resorts, is rumored to be opening attractions with a built-in shelf life, expiration date, when disneyland on the other hand is a collection of experiences that speak to human desires and stories and fables that span cultures and generations, in which longevity is the name of the game. The challenge and the beauty of theme park design is creating attractions that may not be the coolest thing in pop culture the minute they open, but those trendier things fade within 6 months and 2 years, while the attractions are just as cool 50 years later! No we have a guy heading parks and resorts who allegedly wants to open attractions for 10 years at a time, giving up completely on the challenge of creating quality, permanent experiences that contribute to a park's sense of place, furthering the theme park visitor's addiction and attachment to that space through nostalgia. Flip the (cheap) ride every 10 years and you forego nostalgia, forego quality, and forego the desires of your paying customers.

Thats.....really odd

From the article,

"You'll then stop by Tivan's office, which we didn't get to see, then through a main warehouse that's abounding with more characters, creatures and sly nods for loyal Disney park goers before you get on the attraction."

Anyone know what the Warehouse would be?

Hmm, I'm completely lost as to where that would go. Should be interesting to find out!

nevol

Sad but great to hear this as I feel that it summarizes everything I've been saying for over a year. If true, I'm really not surprised.

This guy has to go.

The only thing that doesn't quite add up is that Star Wars Land does not fit this description at all. However, Star Wars is also a different animal and was greenlit before Chapek was in charge if I'm not mistaken. Come to think of it, why don't we ever hear Chapeks name associated with SWL? Only Marvel and GOTG:MB.

If he was a politician he would be a goner. Hopefully Iger names his successor and it isn't Chappie, and then he can retire because he really doesn't care about his job anyway and just wants the promotion. The void will hopefully be filled by somebody more competent.

mickEblu

If he was a politician he would be a goner. Hopefully Iger names his successor and it isn't Chappie, and then he can retire because he really doesn't care about his job anyway and just wants the promotion. The void will hopefully be filled by somebody more competent.

If Chapek was running things when Cars Land got built RSR would be a simulator. Why does he strike me as the kind of guy who thinks he's "giving the kids what they want" while at the same time not understanding the Disney Park brand? If this is all true, he sounds like he is trying to reinvent the parks strategy with only one thing in mind...$$$. If this is the case, the strategy won't work long term. Maybe with a one off project here and there but not as a new strategy for the parks. It's very cocky and arrogant to think fans won't catch on to this cheap / non creative approach in time. But do any of these guys really care about long term? Or only what they did for shareholders while they were in charge?

Animaniac93-98

If the story acknowledges it takes place in DCA, then why bother changing the exterior into something "alien" in design at all?

And why wouldn't the collector just use the Anaheim Convention Centre to display his stuff? :D

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If the story acknowledges it takes place in DCA, then why bother changing the exterior into something "alien" in design at all?

And why wouldn't the collector just use the Anaheim Convention Centre to display his stuff? :D

Because the Collector likes to be garish and flashy and wants to make a grand entrance. The ACC is just so plain and boring looking.

October82

But do any of these guys really care about long term? Or only what they did for shareholders while they were in charge?

Don't blame shareholders. Many shareholders have longer term outlooks than the leaders of the companies they invest in. This is a big problem, and not just limited to theme parks or Disney.

October82

Where did I blame shareholders?

The portion of your post that I quoted suggested that people like Chapek might view their actions as in the best interest of shareholders as opposed to the long term. The average shareholder is very concerned with the long term health of the company, but their interests are not necessarily being served when these sorts of choices are made. Wall street isn't the problem here, it's larger changes in how companies like Disney are managed.

mickEblu

The portion of your post that I quoted suggested that people like Chapek might view their actions as in the best interest of shareholders as opposed to the long term. The average shareholder is very concerned with the long term health of the company, but their interests are not necessarily being served when these sorts of choices are made. Wall street isn't the problem here, it's larger changes in how companies like Disney are managed.

What I meant was is someone like Chapek thinking long term or is he only concerned at the legacy he left while he was there? And by legacy I mean how much money did he made the company, how much he saved. Etc.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom