Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

BrianLo

IP doesn't have to be a zero sum game. The parks have always been and should always be a mix of film IP and original IP. Current leadership is on the tilt toward all film IP, which is bad for the parks. It's fine to do some, even a lot, but when a whole park becomes a marketing tool for film franchises, you can't get classics like Pirates or HM or Big Thunder. If Walt had run the parks like Bob, Pirates would never have been built and there wouldn't be a 5 film multi-billion dollar franchise based on the ride.

I think it's an interesting time we live in because Disney is very much back to the film division driving the park. For many decades past it was the reverse during the intermittent dark times of the studios.

I'd be personally more irritable if Disney went all in on the IP game, but didn't have IP to support it. There is no denying the film divisions are pumping out popular, beloved and extremely successful content like no studio has ever before.

Pirates is an interesting case example because it shows an original ride can lead to a film franchise and lead back organically to a ride. Both rides (the original and the Shanghai IP new version) are great and it's the best example we have that shows the starting point for a ride idea (original v IP) doesn't inherently make anything better or worse. The worry is that if the mandate is only to go one way we will miss out on potentially excellent original ideas as we weed our way down to some of the lower hanging fruit IP ones. They need to use both wells instead of just one.

TP2000

From @MintCrocodile "Guardians Of The Galaxy Mission: Breakout! seen from Main Street USA"

View attachment 196360

Looks cool! And no more out of theme from Main Street USA than a 1930's Mission Deco hotel, with half its side blown off and elevator doors opening and closing, did from 2004 to 2016.

And slightly more in theme for Main Street USA than the views from the west side of Town Square of an icy Swiss mountain.

Because Walt.

Disneyland%2B05%2B0482%2B_.jpg

Last edited:

sedati

So no small town in America is within view of a snowy Mountain in the distance? With all due respect I'm not sure how you can say MB looks more in theme to Main St USA than a mountain with a straight face.

That's good to hear. So if on the left we eventually catch a glimpse of the tops of the new Star Wars Land mountains that's fine too.

rle4lunch

180º

So no small town in America is within view of a snowy Mountain in the distance? With all due respect I'm not sure how you can say MB looks more in theme to Main St USA than a mountain with a straight face.
I agree, and I'm also so tired of that argument. Theme is different from scenery. GOTG is neither thematically nor scenically appropriate, and on top of that, it's intentionally ugly.*
That's good to hear. So if on the left we eventually catch a glimpse of the tops of the new Star Wars Land mountains that's fine too.
??
It depends. Will it at least look pretty?

*To be fair, the unashamed ugliness of the DCA ToT bothered me too.

October82

Compared to today?

Of course not in comparison to today, but this isn't a meaningful comparison. What we do know is that Walt didn't use the IP that he had available to him, despite those IPs being both available and well suited to the attractions that were built. Of course, Disney was not the company that it is today and no one disagrees about that.

Professortango1

Looks cool! And no more out of theme from Main Street USA than a 1930's Mission Deco hotel, with half its side blown off and elevator doors opening and closing, did from 2004 to 2016.

And slightly more in theme for Main Street USA than the views from the west side of Town Square of an icy Swiss mountain.

Because Walt.

Disneyland%2B05%2B0482%2B_.jpg
Yeah, because no small American towns ever had views of snow-capped mountains.

071916_best_small_towns_in_america_to_visit_.max-784x410_mEajP0k.jpg

TheCliffs-featured-700px-460px.png

usco44190.jpeg

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

The issue with GOTG is not that it can be seen from other parts of the park. Every Disney park (except maybe DAK) has places where you can see other themes.

The issue with GOTG is that it. Is. Homely.

mickEblu

Forget the Matterhorn. You can see Space Mountain from Main Street. And that's ok.

I have never once noticed Space Mountain from Main Street. Granted, I wasn't looking for it. It could be that I'm not noticing it because it's been there forever. 4 big differences with Space Mountain though.

1. It's white and not vibrant orange etc.
2. I would argue most folks find it more visually appealing than the GOTG tower
3. It's a lot shorter than the GOTG tower
4 its more in scale with the rest of the taller structures at the park. At DCA the tower literally towers over everything. And yes the same "issue" existed with TOT but the color beige doesn't say "hey look at me!" quite like the new colors do.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom