Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

SSG

For decades I have thought the lyrics to the "Pina Colada" song, when read aloud, were truly some of the finest literature the late 20th century Western world produced.

"If you're not into yoga, if you have half a brain.... I'm not into health food, I am into champagne."

My god. The brilliance! (SPOILER!) And then by the end of the song he ends up with the same girl he's living with when he took out the personal ad, but they didn't know they were so in tune with each other! 😍

I love that song. If it shows up in the elevator drop ride at DCA, I would seriously consider driving the 7 hours down I-15 to ride that thing again.
This is a periodic reminder that the couple in the Pina Colada song are both absolutely horrible people.

Last edited:

TP2000

"Hey, you're into cheating on your boy/girl-friend, too!? We're a great couple!!!"
This is a periodic reminder that the couple in the Pina Colada song are both absolutely horrible people.

Yes, but it made more sense in the 1970's.

Somehow, they were more sympathetic characters having that play out in thoughtfully composed (yet ultra-corny) personal ads back and forth over a week or two. Much more human and understandable than just swiping right and/or blocking.

I really do miss personal ads, especially in the back of local alternative newspapers of the 70's and 80's. I could (and did) read those religiously just for the laughs and the drama. 🤣

D.Silentu

So, I realize that I am a week late, but Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 3 is now in theaters. I had a gram of hope for some synergistic update to Mission Breakout, much as I expect Universal to announce their Fast and Furious coaster with the upcoming movie. While Avenger’s Campus gets new food to mark the occasion, the ride remains unchanged.

I’m sorry this is the case because, while I enjoy the ride, it has always felt about a quarter incomplete to me. Just a bit short of an excellent attraction. My issues are with the ride portion. There’s some missing factor that is needed to tie the story, onscreen action and elevator motion together. I’ve complained before that the preshow invites us to be a part of the caper, yet we become spectators as soon as we buckle in.

One solution could involve physical effects to augment the screen experience. Tentacle props that descend during one of the creature scenes or flash bulbs when the robots are shooting at Peter and Gamora for instance. Also, more scenarios, akin to Groot turning off the gravity and the elevator reacting accordingly, would greatly improve the action. A ricochet from the aforementioned robots could sent our vehicle plummeting! It’s worth noting that none of the actors need return for any additional material. With the main cast being mostly alien and animal, computer animation could easily supplant them for their brief screen time.

Naturally, there are better ideas out there on enhancing the attraction than those I have considered. However, it seems that the ride is perceived as just fine in its current state. I would beg to differ, but at this point I get the feeling we just passed the last incentive the company had to improve it. I will continue to ride and enjoy it for what it is, though I doubt I’ll ever shake the feeling that they could still turn things up a little.

Naturally, there are better ideas out there on enhancing the attraction than those I have considered. However, it seems that the ride is perceived as just fine in its current state. I would beg to differ, but at this point I get the feeling we just passed the last incentive the company had to improve it. I will continue to ride and enjoy it for what it is, though I doubt I’ll ever shake the feeling that they could still turn things up a little.
I've got an idea, though it may not result in an immediate improvement I think long term it could be incredibly impactful. Get a list of the Imagineers and strategic planning people involved in Mission Breakout. Inform them they've been assigned to a new Moana themed flume ride and they'll be going on a research trip to the South Pacific. Instead, send the plane to Siberia and leave them there.

Professortango1

So, I realize that I am a week late, but Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 3 is now in theaters. I had a gram of hope for some synergistic update to Mission Breakout, much as I expect Universal to announce their Fast and Furious coaster with the upcoming movie. While Avenger’s Campus gets new food to mark the occasion, the ride remains unchanged.

I’m sorry this is the case because, while I enjoy the ride, it has always felt about a quarter incomplete to me. Just a bit short of an excellent attraction. My issues are with the ride portion. There’s some missing factor that is needed to tie the story, onscreen action and elevator motion together. I’ve complained before that the preshow invites us to be a part of the caper, yet we become spectators as soon as we buckle in.

One solution could involve physical effects to augment the screen experience. Tentacle props that descend during one of the creature scenes or flash bulbs when the robots are shooting at Peter and Gamora for instance. Also, more scenarios, akin to Groot turning off the gravity and the elevator reacting accordingly, would greatly improve the action. A ricochet from the aforementioned robots could sent our vehicle plummeting! It’s worth noting that none of the actors need return for any additional material. With the main cast being mostly alien and animal, computer animation could easily supplant them for their brief screen time.

I've always said the same thing. The frame for the screen is so vacant. There should be two sets of crates that hide different elements for different songs/through lines. A Rocket AA and a Baby Groot AA could be in place for certain adventures. Tentacles that come out of the side panels. Puffs of smoke as blasters nearly hit us. The ride is an action ride, but the action is limited to us bouncing.

Its a similar issue I have with Rise. Its amazing, but I get a bit tired of the projected storm troopers and projected explosions/scorch marks being leaned on so much throughout.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom