Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
If this attraction cost $50 Million instead of $450 I'd be shouting from the rooftops how much they got for so little. But the inverse is true.
Do we know what all that $450 million includes? Does it include the depreciated value of the assets that were removed from the UoE building? Does it include demo costs (and possibly preservation/relocation costs) of the contents of the UoE building? Does it include any roadwork that occurred to accomidate the gravity building? Does it include the marketing budget? Does it include the grand opening ceremony costs? Does it include any content used to announce the ride at D23?

And by comparison, for that $100 million figure always floated around for Everest, Does that figure account for all the comparable costs? I guess what I'm asking is if we are comparing apples to apples or if there may be other costs rolled into the $450 million figure that may make these comparisons unequal.

Animaniac93-98

Do we know what all that $450 million includes? Does it include the depreciated value of the assets that were removed from the UoE building? Does it include demo costs (and possibly preservation/relocation costs) of the contents of the UoE building? Does it include any roadwork that occurred to accomidate the gravity building? Does it include the marketing budget? Does it include the grand opening ceremony costs? Does it include any content used to announce the ride at D23?

The $450 million does not include any associated promotion costs like these.

Gutting the UoE building (including the removal of the solar panels)? Yes, but that's why this maybe should have been a new build.

lazyboy97o

I know we discuss inflation, but I’m not sure if that metric really works?

I don’t know the market in Florida… but I know up here in BC, absolutely everything costs WAY more to build. Material prices are skyrocketing. Labour costs and wages are skyrocketing. Demand is high for contractors, which causes them to be able to be picky and demand more money.

Not sure if it’s the same out there, but could be attributed to the significant rise in costs.
Yes, there has been recent escalation in costs, but it hasn’t been measured in multiples. Even current high rates of escalation in the neighborhood of 20z is a far cry from 200%.

And by comparison, for that $100 million figure always floated around for Everest, Does that figure account for all the comparable costs? I guess what I'm asking is if we are comparing apples to apples or if there may be other costs rolled into the $450 million figure that may make these comparisons unequal.
It’s design and construction cost. Not marketing, which isn’t handled by Walt Disney Imagineering. Yes, demolition is in there but demolition isn’t that expensive. Part of deciding to reuse a facility is assessing it and determining if it is in good enough shape to reuse.

No Name

I didn’t think she / the company came out and said it itself?
From the New York Times: “The problem, she said, was a budget-conscious decision to run the high-speed Rods on the PeopleMover’s unbanked track.”

I really hate when papers do this instead of just giving the actual quote, but I’m inclined to believe the NYT wasn’t flat-out lying and that she at least waded into the territory of honesty.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Actually, I wouldn't think that 'banking' was the issue. Disney's coasters make absolutely clear that they don't care about the guests getting whiplash from lateral forces.

But the real issue was the pylons standing straight up and that they couldn't take the lateral force. Those turns would have needed a flying buttress added to them.

The ride abruptly slowed on turns not because of lack of banking, but lack of buttressing.

At least, that's how I heard it. The exec in question may have not understood the difference.

Joffrey

Ridden this a number of times now.

This ride is a lot of fun and surprisingly thrilling, which is perhaps most important in a park that was completely void of any kind of thrills. Yes, it's completely the wrong park and yes, there are points of the ride that seem decidedly cheap. Most notably the launch area is a massive vacant room where a screen is only on the top left of the giant room, so it kind of gives off the sensation you are launching from a movie theater? There's also a giant center "island" in this room that would have been ideal for an animatronic as you make the u-turn before the launch. The blue lightning effects as you launch are a nice touch, however.

The story is utterly baffling and all six of us, riding on five separate occasions nearly back to back, could not piece together the complete story.

The exit hallway is also laughably bad and embarrassing. I thought we were being taken out backstage because the gift shop wasn't open yet. Nope, that's the same exit for everyone.
Once you get on the "escape pods" there is no story that I could tell. It feels like a jumble of random tik tok videos and one liners from the movie characters played over music from the 80s.

david10225

I thought I saw on one video a substantial number of steep steps to go down at exit. Is that correct? I'm sure they have an elevator but that seems out of place in this age. My wife has muscular dystrophy so always be gear in on such things.

lazyboy97o

I thought I saw on one video a substantial number of steep steps to go down at exit. Is that correct? I'm sure they have an elevator but that seems out of place in this age. My wife has muscular dystrophy so always be gear in on such things.
The stairs are no steeper than any other stairs you will find around property. Stairs and an elevator are fairly standard, particularly for significant elevation changes. For some, long ramps can be difficult. Advisory 405.2 of the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design cautions against long ramps as the sole route.

david10225

6th
The stairs are no steeper than any other stairs you will find around property. Stairs and an elevator are fairly standard, particularly for significant elevation changes. For some, long ramps can be difficult. Advisory 405.2 of the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design cautions against long ramps as the sole route.
I was trying to think what other major attractions at wdw exit vista stairs , but I'm drawing a blank. Maybe the American Adventure?

lewisc

I think the current exit routes around the gift shop. With a scooter we took an elevator up walked a short distance then took an elevator down

Movielover

American Adventure enters via stairs / escalators and exits via ramp.

Dinosaur has stairs.

Does space mountain have stairs now? I think it does at the exit.
Also the majority of the theater spaces enter and exit via stairs, although most have the wheelchair seating at 0 level.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom