Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

TrainsOfDisney

The core of your issue.
It's not "the issue" - as again, virtually no one who goes to parks and rides rides judges them (or even knows) by any metric related to what the build of the ride cost the company - and has an issue with that.
As for "pretty basic ride that's merely fun" is your hangup.
I'd argue that most people riding this ride would put the experience well above merely fun.
Merely fun sounds like "ehhh..."
It will be interesting to see how the general public feels about this attraction in a few years. I feel like the IP is not particularly long lasting so the whole thing can feel pretty dated fast. If they don’t rate it higher than rock n rollercoaster then what was the point?

For what it’s worth I really like rock n roller coaster.

disneygeek90

It will be interesting to see how the general public feels about this attraction in a few years. I feel like the IP is not particularly long lasting so the whole thing can feel pretty dated fast. If they don’t rate it higher than rock n rollercoaster then what was the point?

For what it’s worth I really like rock n roller coaster.
As someone who holds ride comfort to a pretty high priority when it comes to coasters, I'd much rather ride Guardians then RnRC.

Hate Hulk, Love Velocicoaster, Love Mako, hate Rip Ride Rock It. Roller coasters that are legitimately fun and fast where I don't have to worry about my head banging on the side of the bars and can just enjoy the attraction are a win.

Disstevefan1

Now now, there's a big difference between "I personally don't care about the cost" and "OMG 3 people care and they've clogged the thread with it". You're clearly trying to dismiss the point and the people making it. Talk about attempts to delegitimize.

The core of the issue is that the ride, fun or not, is not particularly impressive for an attraction of its physical scale and position as a headliner. Perhaps that would be less pressing if they got it for a steal - If this attraction cost $50 Million instead of $450 I'd be shouting from the rooftops how much they got for so little. But the inverse is true. They paid more money than ever, by a HUGE amount, and made a pretty basic ride that's merely fun. That's an important but easy threshold to meet. The Teacups are fun, but it would be a problem if they cost $100 Mil. And it's fine if that wouldn't bother you, but don't try to shut up the people who do care. Which your posting history shows you've clearly been trying to do.
If we are going to factor in cost -
I will say, i think I will like Universal Rip Ride Rockit better after I experience Guardians
Rip Ride Rockit cost to build, in today's money, according to the internet, costs 60.6 Million
I had no idea Guardians cost 450 Million, I am no expert, but that a lot of money for what you are getting.

Even the huge Rocket Rod mistake in DLR cost only 33.6 Million in today's dollars. A drop in the bucket.

The cost today to bring back the people mover to DLR would be astronomical because of all the track damage, but whatever it would cost to bring back that mild, old fashioned attraction to DLR would be worth it to me :)

mergatroid

If we are going to factor in cost -
I will say, i think I will like Universal Rip Ride Rockit better after I experience Guardians
Rip Ride Rockit cost to build, in today's money, according to the internet, costs 60.6 Million
I had no idea Guardians cost 450 Million, I am no expert, but that a lot of money for what you are getting.

Even the huge Rocket Rod mistake in DLR cost only 33.6 Million in today's dollars. A drop in the bucket.

The cost today to bring back the people mover to DLR would be astronomical because of all the track damage, but whatever it would cost to bring back that mild, old fashioned attraction to DLR would be worth it to me :)
you may enjoy watching this

Disstevefan1

How much did it cost to build BTMR?

I want to know if I enjoyed it or not.
laughing-bonobo-crop.jpg

yensidtlaw1969

The core of your issue.
It's not "the issue" - as again, virtually no one who goes to parks and rides rides judges them (or even knows) by any metric related to what the build of the ride cost the company - and has an issue with that.
I'd argue that most people riding this ride would put the experience well above merely fun.
. . . "The issue" I'm referring to is the one that us "three people" are discussing. Obviously. Twisting words isn't cute.

But keep participating in the exact form of dismissal you're claiming you're above. Your track record speaks for itself.

yensidtlaw1969

Well we'll stay friends and agree to differ. Pointing out that to most people visiting Epcot that the price doesn't matter isn't trying to shut down an opinion anymore than you saying it does matter is trying to do so. It's just a different opinion.

The attraction was built to satisfy paying guests and to get them in the park, like that or not that's true. These are the people that Disney are trying to entertain, engage or call it whatever. Saying to a group of people on the internet who mostly don't go to Epcot that "in my opinion it doesn't matter what it cost because those who measure enjoyment like that are unlikely to be paying guests" (or however he worded it, you get the gist) is addressing the fact that most won't factor that in. That's not shutting down your argument (unless you're conceding you have no counter argument) but is a valid factor to the point he's making. Again the fact that you don't like this point doesn't make it invalid, he's saying it because it's true. The vast majority of the people who pay and ride this attraction won't factor in the cost, most won't have a clue.

I know saying that may seem like it's taking some of your argument away, but he's backing up his point by saying that. If it wasn't true then you'd have more of a point. I get your point of view, I honestly do. However it's only really valid from the perspective of those who are on your side and wanting to discuss the ride on that basis alone.

But let's leave it now, I see both sides but think there's more validity on one than the other (just as you do). I don't think he's dismissing your view but rather pointing out that to paying visitors it's not really important. That's not the entire argument I know, but it is a large demographic of the more relevant factor and I believe he's emphasising that point rather than shutting you down.

Anyhow next time I visit Epcot in October 2023 we can meet up and ride it together. I'll even buy you an ice cream ($10 by then) and then we can laugh and discuss the attraction, or have a fight in the car park (I'm hoping for the former) :D
You're either refusing to acknowledge this poster's history or are blissfully unaware of it. More lilkely the latter.

This post also suggests you're unaware of mine, but, what can you do.

"Friends" is a strong word for someone who both misunderstands and mischaracterizes my point.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It looks like a D to me in videos, and that's basically just because it's a roller coaster.

That doesn't make it a bad attraction, of course. Just not an especially impressive one.
Roller coasters are E…sometimes very simple ones

I often use RNRC as an example of how to build, build on a budget, and have a good take on theme that doesn’t overdo it.

If the yeti worked…that would be a good - if not more expensive - example as well. I really enjoyed it the 3 or so times I was on it when it Worked.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The core of your issue.
Most causals…which you allude too…will find it entertaining if the ride system delivers and not much beyond that.
They don’t fall for this Iger fostered “experience” crap. The ride is what will be remembered.

The Disney fans applaud everything…good for Slaphead that’s half his crowd today and every other day

Disney Analyst

Given inflation, Everest would only be $143 Million today.

I agree that it's absolutely vexing that Hagrid's cost more than Forbidden Journey. That it cost that much more only makes it worse.

I know we discuss inflation, but I’m not sure if that metric really works?

I don’t know the market in Florida… but I know up here in BC, absolutely everything costs WAY more to build. Material prices are skyrocketing. Labour costs and wages are skyrocketing. Demand is high for contractors, which causes them to be able to be picky and demand more money.

Not sure if it’s the same out there, but could be attributed to the significant rise in costs.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I agree that it's absolutely vexing that Hagrid's cost more than Forbidden Journey. That it cost that much more only makes it worse.
I have little doubt hagrids is a more complex System. Have you been?

Forbidden journey is a kuka…which was already designed and had what I believe to be more “plug and play” potential.

I also don’t believe that Everest budget. I bet that was blown. Joe spent that much on research trips to Nepal

ChrisE405

For those of you familiar with the build, can you help me understand when the transition from the old UofE building to the gravity building occurs? Is it when you're going through the "air lock," during the backwards launch, or at some other point? Thanks in advance!

999th Happy Haunt

Hagrid’s is also probably the best family coaster in the world, so the cost is at least somewhat justified. Guardians doesn’t seem to be as impressive as it.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
For those of you familiar with the build, can you help me understand when the transition from the old UofE building to the gravity building occurs? Is it when you're going through the "air lock," during the backwards launch, or at some other point? Thanks in advance!
It's during the backwards launch.... we'll, technically the backwards launch is through a tunnel connecting the old building and the new building...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom