Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

Disstevefan1

Nobody needs every cent accounted for. But when a roller coaster through an empty warehouse costs a full Expedition: Everest more than Rise of the Resistance, the most physicially elaborate and impressive attraction built on property this century, something is clearly amiss and deserves to be called out.

I agree that the cost of the attraction is bad enough when reported accurately that it need not be rounded up, which is why I consistently refer to the $450 Million as it is.
You think stuff costs a lot to build now? Wait till RCID is gone...

mergatroid

Why did Hagrids cost $169 million more than Forbidden Journey to build (people are using Everest to CR comparisons and there's a huge age difference between those attractions). Why $169 million more? It's not themed as well and the ride vehicles on Hagrids aren't as complex? Also Hagrids uses very basic animatronics, especially the one clearly on a pole? Has the price of trees gone up that much :D

TrainsOfDisney

Why did Hagrids cost $169 million more than Forbidden Journey to build (people are using Everest to CR comparisons and there's a huge age difference between those attractions). Why $169 million more? It's not themed as well and the ride vehicles on Hagrids aren't as complex? Also Hagrids uses very basic animatronics, especially the one clearly on a pole?
Both of those attractions are very highly themed. Hagrids has a much more elaborate pre-show - similar, if not better, than Rise.

yensidtlaw1969

It could be argued that you're doing the exact same thing to him, trying to shut his opinion down also? How is what you're doing any different, it's just different opinions?

Think about it, you're saying "It does matter how much it cost because of x, y and z" and he's saying "It doesn't matter how much it cost because of x, y and z"? Nobody is shutting anyone down or trying to?
I'm absolutely not, because all I'm saying is "there's no need to shut down other people's discussion". It's fine enough if the huge price tag of Cosmic Rewind doesn't matter to them, and I've said as much. But they're trying to shout down people who find it a meaningful point of consideration, and that's what I'm calling out.

yensidtlaw1969

Why did Hagrids cost $169 million more than Forbidden Journey to build (people are using Everest to CR comparisons and there's a huge age difference between those attractions). Why $169 million more? It's not themed as well and the ride vehicles on Hagrids aren't as complex? Also Hagrids uses very basic animatronics, especially the one clearly on a pole? Has the price of trees gone up that much :D
Given inflation, Everest would only be $143 Million today.

I agree that it's absolutely vexing that Hagrid's cost more than Forbidden Journey. That it cost that much more only makes it worse.

mergatroid

I'm absolutely not, because all I'm saying is "there's no need to shut down other people's discussion". It's fine enough if the huge price tag of Cosmic Rewind doesn't matter to them, and I've said as much. But they're trying to shout down people who find it a meaningful point of consideration, and that's what I'm calling out.
Well we'll stay friends and agree to differ. Pointing out that to most people visiting Epcot that the price doesn't matter isn't trying to shut down an opinion anymore than you saying it does matter is trying to do so. It's just a different opinion.

The attraction was built to satisfy paying guests and to get them in the park, like that or not that's true. These are the people that Disney are trying to entertain, engage or call it whatever. Saying to a group of people on the internet who mostly don't go to Epcot that "in my opinion it doesn't matter what it cost because those who measure enjoyment like that are unlikely to be paying guests" (or however he worded it, you get the gist) is addressing the fact that most won't factor that in. That's not shutting down your argument (unless you're conceding you have no counter argument) but is a valid factor to the point he's making. Again the fact that you don't like this point doesn't make it invalid, he's saying it because it's true. The vast majority of the people who pay and ride this attraction won't factor in the cost, most won't have a clue.

I know saying that may seem like it's taking some of your argument away, but he's backing up his point by saying that. If it wasn't true then you'd have more of a point. I get your point of view, I honestly do. However it's only really valid from the perspective of those who are on your side and wanting to discuss the ride on that basis alone.

But let's leave it now, I see both sides but think there's more validity on one than the other (just as you do). I don't think he's dismissing your view but rather pointing out that to paying visitors it's not really important. That's not the entire argument I know, but it is a large demographic of the more relevant factor and I believe he's emphasising that point rather than shutting you down.

Anyhow next time I visit Epcot in October 2023 we can meet up and ride it together. I'll even buy you an ice cream ($10 by then) and then we can laugh and discuss the attraction, or have a fight in the car park (I'm hoping for the former) :D

correcaminos

Ridden this a number of times now.

This ride is a lot of fun and surprisingly thrilling, which is perhaps most important in a park that was completely void of any kind of thrills. Yes, it's completely the wrong park and yes, there are points of the ride that seem decidedly cheap. Most notably the launch area is a massive vacant room where a screen is only on the top left of the giant room, so it kind of gives off the sensation you are launching from a movie theater? There's also a giant center "island" in this room that would have been ideal for an animatronic as you make the u-turn before the launch. The blue lightning effects as you launch are a nice touch, however.

The story is utterly baffling and all six of us, riding on five separate occasions nearly back to back, could not piece together the complete story.

The exit hallway is also laughably bad and embarrassing. I thought we were being taken out backstage because the gift shop wasn't open yet. Nope, that's the same exit for everyone.
Thank you. Getting harder to find actual spoilers/reviews in this thread now.

Disstevefan1

If there was one attraction I would have picked for a cheaper “overlay treatment ” it would have been Ellen, mostly because I thought the ride system was so cool.

There is no doubt Ellen stopped attracting riders near the end. I remember walking into the empty Jeopardy room to watch the pre show with maybe 10 people.

So now we have Guardians. As for ridership, this may become another Sorin or Test Track. The only drawback is the spinning. For my family of three, I will happily ride it every time, my other two family members will not even try it because of the spinning albeit mild. They are also not keen on the reverse launch.

And, no, they don’t ride Everest either but I love Everest

I wonder if they will over time subtract the spinning and just program the ride to point at the screens when needed?

disneygeek90

Okay. So after close to 20 rides, I've figured it out. The left side is Conga, Everybody Eants to Rule the World, and Disco Inferno. Right side is One Way or Another, I Ran (So Far Away), and September.
I went right both times and got One Way and September so that tracks (no pun intended). I'll be interested in testing this out further first hand too.

Epcot82Guy

What pre-show are you referencing? Standing in a room staring at a 3D like screen? It's pretty mediocre if you ask me and has barely even been operational in the past 2 years.

I would guess we're talking queue vs. pre-show. The pre-shows/initial shows of Rise are good. For the queues themselves, I would argue Hagrid's has the edge.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
So now we have Guardians. As for ridership, this may become another Sorin or Test Track. The only drawback is the spinning. For my family of three, I will happily ride it every time, my other two family members will not even try it because of the spinning albeit mild. They are also not keen on the reverse launch.
I know of some people who are really prone to motion sickness but had absolutely no problems on the ride. So with that in mind, hopefully they will at least try once?

TrainsOfDisney

What pre-show are you referencing? Standing in a room staring at a 3D like screen? It's pretty mediocre if you ask me and has barely even been operational in the past 2 years.
Well it’s been a few years but I’m thinking of the entire experience like with Rise. Walking past all of those AA bank tellers, riding the elevator, etc.

Incomudro

Now now, there's a big difference between "I personally don't care about the cost" and "OMG 3 people care and they've clogged the thread with it". You're clearly trying to dismiss the point and the people making it. Talk about attempts to delegitimize.

The core of the issue is that the ride, fun or not, is not particularly impressive for an attraction of its physical scale and position as a headliner. Perhaps that would be less pressing if they got it for a steal - If this attraction cost $50 Million instead of $450 I'd be shouting from the rooftops how much they got for so little. But the inverse is true. They paid more money than ever, by a HUGE amount, and made a pretty basic ride that's merely fun. That's an important but easy threshold to meet. The Teacups are fun, but it would be a problem if they cost $100 Mil. And it's fine if that wouldn't bother you, but don't try to shut up the people who do care. Which your posting history shows you've clearly been trying to do.
The core of your issue.
It's not "the issue" - as again, virtually no one who goes to parks and rides rides judges them (or even knows) by any metric related to what the build of the ride cost the company - and has an issue with that.
As for "pretty basic ride that's merely fun" is your hangup.
I'd argue that most people riding this ride would put the experience well above merely fun.
Merely fun sounds like "ehhh..."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom