Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

EricsBiscuit

Just rode it 3 times and I can CONFIRM that the air conditioning is working at 110%! Seriously. Anyways, the queue is decent. Parts of it remind me of the Maelstrom queue with large bland walls:
68B7C692-3129-4558-81D8-BC318AD715A8.jpeg

Not a fan of these lighting fixtures (I prefer Maria Theresas and Neoclassical chandeliers, of which I guess there are none on Xandar!):
29EBD2B3-690D-4F4B-BDC7-1EC71C98CC32.jpeg

There’s a part of the queue where Quill (Chris managed to be at Uni and Disney!) says he wants to ride Horizons among other classics. I thought to myself “he’s going to be disappointed!” Lol. The model also is awesome.

The pre show is good. It feels like they learned from the FoP pre show and managed to keep it from feeling awkward or forced. The “wow!” Moment is cool even if it is a simple curtain like effect.

The ride is also good. It’s actually a ton of fun! The best part is definitely the music (at least For an 80s fan like me!). The screens and few set pieces are well done. The track is very smooth. As for thrill, it is much less intense than EE. I would place it at or above BTMRR in terms of thrill. I found it interesting that you go under the train tracks as you enter SM while you go over the CR track as you exit CR. Interesting parallel. Overall, this feels like a much less intense DLP SM with a pre show and a few more features. I’m just thankful they didn’t replace SM at MK with this but I can see them doing that at DL very easily with it.
99B63030-34EA-46D3-8320-FC046D953252.jpeg
0759AE5D-AA0F-49BF-A3D3-DF89375D388C.jpeg
024BC251-DC35-41A9-8757-AD4B562D1728.jpeg
59478FBB-19B4-4898-8BA8-833AC7DA2C37.jpeg

kalel8145

Just rode it 3 times and I can CONFIRM that the air conditioning is working at 110%! Seriously. Anyways, the queue is decent. Parts of it remind me of the Maelstrom queue with large bland walls:View attachment 638936
Not a fan of these lighting fixtures (I prefer Maria Theresas and Neoclassical chandeliers, of which I guess there are none on Xandar!):
View attachment 638937
There’s a part of the queue where Quill (Chris managed to be at Uni and Disney!) says he wants to ride Horizons among other classics. I thought to myself “he’s going to be disappointed!” Lol. The model also is awesome.

The pre show is good. It feels like they learned from the FoP pre show and managed to keep it from feeling awkward or forced. The “wow!” Moment is cool even if it is a simple curtain like effect.

The ride is also good. It’s actually a ton of fun! The best part is definitely the music (at least For an 80s fan like me!). The screens and few set pieces are well done. The track is very smooth. As for thrill, it is much less intense than EE. I would place it at or above BTMRR in terms of thrill. I found it interesting that you go under the train tracks as you enter SM while you go over the CR track as you exit CR. Interesting parallel. Overall, this feels like a much less intense DLP SM with a pre show and a few more features. I’m just thankful they didn’t replace SM at MK with this but I can see them doing that at DL very easily with it. View attachment 638944View attachment 638945View attachment 638946View attachment 638947
Nice pictures. Very bright and clean.

Centauri Space Station

So having watched this a bit more. I think I figured out my biggest issue with the story here - and it ties to their weird merch decision.

The biggest reason this doesn't work in Epcot is because they are literally destroying the "Epcot" this story is set in. Here's the placesetting story - The Xandarians created this pavilion to showcase their technology to align with Epcot's pavilions showcasing and inspiring great technology and cultural achievement. The main issue - THAT IS THE EXACT STORY THEY ARE TAKING AWAY FROM EPCOT. It simply demonstrates how they don't understand the park or have a cohesive direction for it.

If Cosmic Rewind was the only example of this, and they were going to reinvest in the other parts to restore the "Epcot-ness", then maybe it would be different. (And, who knows, maybe it will.) But, the more they add IP and divert from Epcot's original theme, the less and less the Guardians story and fit makes sense.
How so? SSE, The Land, current Test track, Seabase, Space 220 fulfill that still. Guardians is the only pavilion soley dedicated to one franchise. Mexico, Norway, France and the seas still have educational non ip parts

Magic Feather

A few days after my chance to ride and why not share my thoughts.
  1. Where did the money go? This attraction felt like it was constantly oscillating between a fleshed outenvironment and, well, the opposite. Particular offenders include the transition space between the Galaxarium and Gallery, the scene before the Launch in the Energy Building, select moments in the Gravity building, and the final scene before unload come to mind.
  2. The core ride experience is fun, but honestly not too different from a Hyperspace Mountain. Even the turning didn’t feel like it was used too effectively.
  3. Somehow, despite being fun, this still lacks the pure fun factor that Mission Breakout has? I think it may be the attempt to put together a more grand storyline? Not sure but something felt a tad off
  4. Lighting is a problem. I don’t know how they went from the lift and first jump point which work very well, to the Big Bang scene which feels like they put roller coaster track in the Living with the Land barn theater. Plus the gravity building very obviously comes off as large screens. I’ve seen better “black” screen in a movie theater.
  5. Operations butchered this. Now, don’t get me wrong some of this is on WDI for weird design choices, but most guests blow by the gallery due to the way the preshow is loaded. Speaking of the preshow, of the three rooms, one needed to be cut (combining the first two makes the most sense presumably). Having one giant one also is a little iffy operationally, especially the way they stuff it to the gills. The second preshow is also difficult to see for guests in the back.
Now, that all comes off as very negative, and I know that, but it achieves its goal of being a fun roller coaster in a park that lacked them. At this point relevance to Epcot feels moot, and it has been for a while. Ditto for the egregious price tag. That said, it’s a fun ride that will be a giant hit with most guests.

Epcot82Guy

How so? SSE, The Land, current Test track, Seabase, Space 220 fulfill that still. Guardians is the only pavilion soley dedicated to one franchise. Mexico, Norway, France and the seas still have educational non ip parts

While somewhat true, those are all remnants - not new focus (aside from 220). I guess we have different standards. Mexico is probably the best of the three. Norway has an Anna and Elsa Meet and Greet, heavily advertised Frozen ride and (historically) a princess buffet. The educational aspects are basically a troll statue and very small gallery most don't know is actually a thing. Similarly, France is now a highly advertised Ratatouille ride, a theater that had a France-focused film that now shows a couple times a day replaced by a BatB sing along - and various food locations. Seabase's attraction is solely Nemo based, not seas-based. And, we don't know the plan for SSE's storytelling version. Add in Moana (single IP), Harmonious! and then add Play! (which is multi-IP, but seems to still be in the vein of a character meet and greet on digital steroids).

I don't disagree with what you are saying. And, I wish it was true. If there was a balanced approach being announced (say - they were clearly doing a "restorative" redo of SSE and IMAG! along with these new attractions), I'd be more inclined to agree. However, there is no indication that the attractions you note will be preserved. In fact, history is now showing the goal is to add as much IP as possible and closing non-IP attractions (like Canada Far and Wide). So, at best, those attractions you highlight are from a legacy approach and not the "Whole New World" direction Disney is pushing for new Epcot.

Centauri Space Station

While somewhat true, those are all remnants - not new focus (aside from 220). I guess we have different standards. Mexico is probably the best of the three. Norway has an Anna and Elsa Meet and Greet, heavily advertised Frozen ride and (historically) a princess buffet. The educational aspects are basically a troll statue and very small gallery most don't know is actually a thing. Similarly, France is now a highly advertised Ratatouille ride, a theater that had a France-focused film that now shows a couple times a day replaced by a BatB sing along - and various food locations. Seabase's attraction is solely Nemo based, not seas-based. And, we don't know the plan for SSE's storytelling version. Add in Moana (single IP), Harmonious! and then add Play! (which is multi-IP, but seems to still be in the vein of a character meet and greet on digital steroids).

I don't disagree with what you are saying. And, I wish it was true. If there was a balanced approach being announced (say - they were clearly doing a "restorative" redo of SSE and IMAG! along with these new attractions), I'd be more inclined to agree. However, there is no indication that the attractions you note will be preserved. In fact, history is now showing the goal is to add as much IP as possible and closing non-IP attractions (like Canada Far and Wide). So, at best, those attractions you highlight are from a legacy approach and not the "Whole New World" direction Disney is pushing for new Epcot.
I mean the message overall is about real fish, conservation, learning about their environment and seeing all kinds. Norway has the bakery and store as well. I don’t think it’s completely ip, but it’s definitely not pure education at all

Epcot82Guy

I mean the message overall is about real fish, conservation, learning about their environment and seeing all kinds. Norway has the bakery and store as well. I don’t think it’s completely ip, but it’s definitely not pure education at all
Yes. And, as I've said before along with others, it's the method here that's the problem. The focus of the pavilions and the park is changing. You don't have to be educational, per se, to still focus on the theme and country/concept. There are dozens of Frozen rides that would have focused on Norway vs focused on Frozen. While not ideal, it could have kept a consistent theme for Epcot. The issue now is every version is sort of half done and weirdly mixed together. With no real attempt to fix that because "popular characters" and "no one really cares".

Yet they keep trying to grab nostalgia from times where it did matter and people did care. And I doubt that will be the same for this current iteration.

Thelazer

The Xandarians created this pavilion to showcase their technology to align with Epcot's pavilions showcasing and inspiring great technology and cultural achievement. The main issue - THAT IS THE EXACT STORY THEY ARE TAKING AWAY FROM EPCOT. It simply demonstrates how they don't understand the park or have a cohesive direction for it.

It would fit more into world showcase, or perhaps tommorowland.
I mean it's a rip of Alien Encounters "aliens visit us and demo there tech" storyline.

Epcot82Guy

It would fit more into world showcase, or perhaps tommorowland.
I mean it's a rip of Alien Encounters "aliens visit us and demo there tech" storyline.

Agreed. This would have fit TL just fine. (And see your point on WS.) And, it could even work in World Discovery if it had a simpler story. (I have said all along this could have easily been a Sci-Fi pavilion (how we take real world things - like Epcot's world showcase - and use them to inspire how we create comics/sci fi stories. Then making total sense of why a fake alien race is creating an Epcot pavilion) or a CGI pavilion (have the initial pre-shows demonstrate how we created worlds of the Guardians using CGI - then you "enter the movie").

It is just more and more clear they don't have a clear, consistent understanding of what Epcot is and its lands actually are from a story standpoint. I get that some don't care and profit, guest numbers, blah, blah. It doesn't change those of us they are alienating and the nostalgia and portion of the fan base they are destroying for no reason.

RSoxNo1

Primeval Whirl kind of proves my point -- people loved it! Look at all the people who complained here about Disney taking it down.

And I considered breaking kid out coasters into a separate category, but I thought it went without saying. Kids love those small coasters, so they're still serving as a fun attraction for the target audience.
The amount of supporters of Primeval Whirl was pretty darn low. Let's not re-write history here.

flynnibus

Premium Member
While somewhat true, those are all remnants - not new focus (aside from 220). I guess we have different standards. Mexico is probably the best of the three. Norway has an Anna and Elsa Meet and Greet, heavily advertised Frozen ride and (historically) a princess buffet. The educational aspects are basically a troll statue and very small gallery most don't know is actually a thing.
World showcase wasn’t really focused on ‘educational’ topics. It was as the name suggests… a showcase. The pavilions put on a demonstration vibe that basically aimed to invite people to discover and get interested in the culture or unique aspects of the sponsor. I mean… it was an physical advertisement. A walk through postcard - never a history lesson or fighting for proper representation of their people.

It was “educational” in the sense it was trying to expose people to other things and enlighten them to appreciate the elements presented… but ‘education’ is a stretch. Exposure and eye opening is more on point. I mean.., its the equivalent of a modern country’s tourism website.

doctornick

The amount of supporters of Primeval Whirl was pretty darn low. Let's not re-write history here.

I think that's kinda arbitrary. A lot of folks - myself included - enjoyed PW. It's just that a number of folks really hated it and were vocal about it. Not only because it continued to trashy look of Dinorama that was disliked by many but that the ride in particular also was large and garish and made some people nauseous. So I think it is a case of very polarizing opinions rather than universally hated.

The Touring Plans page on the ride has it rated as 3.5 stars or better (out of 5) in every age group of guests surveyed. That doesn't seem like something that was not enjoyed by at least a good number of people.

Edit: Okay, I see that the TP ratings are out of 5 and I corrected that. Still 3.5 to 4 stars for every age group is decent. I think the ride received an unfair amount of hate from those who disliked it overshadowing those who were perfectly fine with it.

Epcot82Guy

World showcase wasn’t really focused on ‘educational’ topics. It was as the name suggests… a showcase. The pavilions put on a demonstration vibe that basically aimed to invite people to discover and get interested in the culture or unique aspects of the sponsor. I mean… it was an physical advertisement. A walk through postcard - never a history lesson or fighting for proper representation of their people.

It was “educational” in the sense it was trying to expose people to other things and enlighten them to appreciate the elements presented… but ‘education’ is a stretch. Exposure and eye opening is more on point. I mean.., its the equivalent of a modern country’s tourism website.

I actually agree. The education piece was present, but a minor aspect. (I was actually addressing the original poster's comments.) I've long let go of Epcot's educational aspect, and I don't know that I even want that back. Or at most an aspect of it, similar to what you summarize above. I much prefer finding Epcot "inspirational" or "hopeful" about our world and its future and possibility.

My main issue is the focus is being taken off the countries. Off the real world. The new attractions focus on the characters - not the country. So, they muddy the focus of the showcase. There is a significant difference between "showcasing", "celebrating", "set in" and "lightly referencing" (examples being Canada Far & Wide, American Adventure, Rat and Frozen Ever After respectively).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom