Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

Tom Morrow

The audio is very clear and sounds good, but slightly hampered by speaker positioning being behind the rider.

This was not my experience, I had a hard time hearing the dialogue and at times the music, though it didn't help that the girl behind me was screaming her head off unnecessarily.

I remember this also being an issue on my first ride on Hagrid's, but it the audio levels were fixed a bit later.

Furiated

This was not my experience, I had a hard time hearing the dialogue and at times the music, though it didn't help that the girl behind me was screaming her head off unnecessarily.

I remember this also being an issue on my first ride on Hagrid's, but it the audio levels were fixed a bit later.

Same, my first ride I had trouble following the dialogue and the overall plot of what was supposed to be happening. While the ride was super fun, as I exited I realized I had no idea what was supposed to have happened story-wise!

James Alucobond

Finally, does this fit Epcot? No. If Xandar were a real place and they were showcasing real technology, then yeah, sure. But, since it's all fictional, it's a bit of a cop-out.
I kind of disagree with this as it's not unprecedented for classic Future World attractions to have fantastical framing devices. It's not like the Miniaturized Exploration Technologies company of Body Wars is anything that has ever been on the verge of existence. Viewed through that lens, I think it's fine for the premise to be some group capable of interstellar travel giving us a tour of the universe or the big bang. Sure, you can balk at it being tied to Marvel, but ultimately, the Xandarians fulfill a pretty familiar role in Cosmic Rewind. Where this ride falters a bit is in the focus on Eson during the ride itself. It should focus much more on the visuals of the big bang, with nebulae swirling around chaotically so that we get to experience firsthand what is presented in the Galaxarium.

Tom Morrow

I kind of disagree with this as it's not unprecedented for classic Future World attractions to have fantastical framing devices. It's not like the Miniaturized Exploration Technologies company of Body Wars is anything that has ever been on the verge of existence. Viewed through that lens, I think it's fine for the premise to be some group capable of interstellar travel giving us a tour of the universe or the big bang. Sure, you can balk at it being tied to Marvel, but ultimately, the Xandarians fulfill a pretty familiar role in Cosmic Rewind. Where this ride falters a bit is in the focus on Eson during the ride itself. It should focus much more on the visuals of the big bang, with nebulae swirling around chaotically so that we get to experience firsthand what is presented in the Galaxarium.

Body Wars used a science fiction concept to present a (sort of) educational ride though. With this, remove a couple of shoe-horned in "educational" moments and nods to classic Epcot in the queue and it's just a Marvel ride.

James Alucobond

Body Wars used a science fiction concept to present a (sort of) educational ride though. With this, remove a couple of shoe-horned in "educational" moments and nods to classic Epcot in the queue and it's just a Marvel ride.
I do get what you're saying, but I guess my point is that it's not irreparably a Marvel ride and actually is almost there in terms of fitting right in. The end of the pre-show and what's being said and shown on the screens during the ride are what miss the mark, but they're also the most easily reprogrammed aspects of the attraction. You could literally replace the ship out front with a fountain, peel off the Nova Corps emblems, redo the media with narration over a sweeping orchestra with more generic space imagery, find a corporate sponsor, and you're there. It feels less to me like something irredeemably Marvel that doesn't belong in the park and more like something appropriate that was retrofitted with an IP. In that sense, I'm not too fussed about its inclusion because it's honestly an easier fix than Frozen Ever After if management's concept for the park ever swings back toward its original direction. I am of course bothered by the hideous gravity building, though.

yensidtlaw1969

I do get what you're saying, but I guess my point is that it's not irreparably a Marvel ride and actually is almost there in terms of fitting right in. The end of the pre-show and what's being said and shown on the screens during the ride are what miss the mark, but they're also the most easily reprogrammed aspects of the attraction. You could literally replace the ship out front with a fountain, peel off the Nova Corps emblems, redo the media with narration over a sweeping orchestra with more generic space imagery, find a corporate sponsor, and you're there. It feels less to me like something irredeemably Marvel that doesn't belong in the park and more like something appropriate that was retrofitted with an IP. In that sense, I'm not too fussed about its inclusion because it's honestly an easier fix than Frozen Ever After if management's concept for the park ever swings back toward its original direction. I am of course bothered by the hideous gravity building, though.
Unfortunately, we both know they're not making "fixes" like that in either of our lifetimes.

I think you're giving them too much credit. I think you could somewhat reasonably argue that the issues with this attraction tend to skew towards the cosmetic rather than the foundational, and that you could reskin Cosmic Rewind into a completely non-Marvel attraction and find success . . . but the argument falls apart when you consider that those Marvel cosmetic elements are the entire reason they were willing to build the attraction in the first place.

The goal here was to get Marvel into EPCOT. That they did it in a not-particularly-committal way isn't really something they deserve points for. Especially since they threw so much money at it to get it done. No one in their right mind is gonna try to convince the higher-ups that what their $450 Million attraction needs is more money poured into it. Not in 10 years, not in 20, not in 30 . . . Not without some sort of major cultural "Come to Jesus" moment re: Guardians of the Galaxy as a property.

Let's not pretend that the Walt Disney World who decides to revive a version of EPCOT where it makes sense to turn this into simply a "Big Bang" Roller Coaster is simply a few generations away. Every move they make takes them further away from that idea rather than closer to it, and this ride is the single biggest and most expensive step in that direction.

They've spent years making this bed and they're more than happy to sleep in it.

yensidtlaw1969

I see we are still debating IP / Marvel in Epcot.

I’m sorry for all your loss - the old Epcot is dead. 😢
hall of fame game missed the point GIF

Animaniac93-98

Let's not pretend that the Walt Disney World who decides to revive a version of EPCOT where it makes sense to turn this into simply a "Big Bang" Roller Coaster is simply a few generations away. Every move they make takes them further away from that idea rather than closer to it, and this ride is the single biggest and most expensive step in that direction.

The time that may have happened was the late 90s/early 2000s, when the go-to solution for Future World was just more thrill rides in general.

Now? They don't want to even use the name "Future World".

Animaniac93-98

I see we are still debating IP / Marvel in Epcot.

I’m sorry for all your loss - the old Epcot is dead. 😢

If it's dead, why do they keep mining it for nostalgia?

Why keep the name EPCOT? Why recycle iconography from the past? Why sell retro merch and keep making a connection to the past?

Disney is incapable of killing EPCOT because they don't have the financial or creative capacity to do so. They also know that EPCOT is itself a recognizable IP that has proven its worth for 40 years and would be stupid to remove altogether.

So now we're stuck with a park that has Living with the Land and Frozen in it and told it all fits because...they said so.

Disney Analyst

If it's dead, why do they keep mining it for nostalgia?

Why keep the name EPCOT? Why recycle iconography from the past? Why sell retro merch and keep making a connection to the past?

Disney is incapable of killing EPCOT because they don't have the financial or creative capacity to do so. They also know that EPCOT is itself a recognizable IP that has proven its worth for 40 years and would be stupid to remove altogether.

So now we're stuck with a park that has Living with the Land and Frozen in it and told it all fits because...they said so.

I guess I should say the old Epcot is long dead. As evidenced by the constant debate on here.

There is an Epcot, but I don’t think it’s the one many of you wanted?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom