Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

Disney Analyst

GoTG seems to have a very high "new toy" draw to it. Perhaps its because EPCOT has been so desperate for something big and new for so long. However, I except that over time when the newness wears off, GoTG will be criticized for a number of shortcomings. Not to say it isn't a lot of fun and something very much needed. But purists and enthusiasts are going to see its problems over the fun factor.

100% - new and shiny always has a wow out the gate.

I’d also add, a coaster generally gets a pass if it’s fun, which clearly this one is.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I am 100 percent on board with this attraction.

We all know it would not fit in Walt’s EPCOT, but Walt’s vision for EPCOT died with Walt long before there was a shovel in the ground for EPCOT.

As Walt said, EPCOT will always be in a state of becoming. I am sure even he did not know just how timeless and true this statement would be!

So today’s version of EPCOT is year round food festivals and some IP attractions. And that’s OK. I am looking forward to riding Guardians. I am even looking forward to Moana even if it’s to finally see the walls come down and have a place to walk through and get out of some of the sun and heat..

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can appreciate any attraction that is well designed, executed with a purpose and adds. (Key word) to the park offerings.

I will never subscribe to the “people are lazy…they want characters and beer booths” resignation on EPCOT. Whatever that is…it’s a losing mentality

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the AP, DVC, CM Friends and Family opinions will be largely echoed across the general public. They are public enough.
That isn’t the general public at all. Actually the opposite. Those that are least likely to separate emotional attachment/branding from the actual product.

But to be fair…I’m sure this will be generally well received. I know I’ll like it because TFF is on it…

The question is: how long did it take and to what bloated budget that they won’t do more things going forward because of and how long? What other things have gotten worse during the slow roll?

It’s not even “theme integrity” for me…I’m a pragmatist and don’t need the “pacing” that seems to be lauded. It’s a corporate shell game against the customer. Not at all complicated.

I hope the thing is good…cause not much coming before 2030

Casper Gutman

Rode it and it was amazing and very smooth. It felt like you were floating if that makes any sense. I will say this, do not eat before riding it as I did not feel well afterwards when I did that. I got to ride it a total of 4 times and both times that I rode it without eating I felt fine but the 2 in the middle of that after eating were scary. In my opinion it is the best coaster on property and BTM was always my favorite. The music is perfect and just goes so well with the ride. When I was watching videos online about the ride, the story did not make much sense. When you are there in person and get to experience it, the story does make perfect sense. I found that riding in the middle gives you the most time to enjoy the screens and the story telling. Overall it is an amazing attraction, just in the wrong park. Should have been placed at MGM.
What changed in your understanding of the story when you experienced it in person? What made it make “perfect sense?”

UNCgolf

I expect this to have very positive reviews -- it's a roller coaster, after all, and a seemingly well-executed one.

But I also think if Disney dropped the Incredible Hulk coaster in the middle of EPCOT it would get good reviews from the general public. It should be more than just a coaster to do well/fit properly at Disney.

Guardians absolutely is more than just a coaster with the preshows and on-ride screens with a story, it just doesn't seem like that aspect is especially well-executed (even ignoring the EPCOT fit). It's still better than not even attempting that, of course.

Casper Gutman

You are seeing the shadow side of nostalgia and brand. Look at how the new Star Wars movies did with the fan base. Many people liked it, but it had a ton of criticism (some valid, some not). When you are a nostalgia-based company, you get greater skepticism when you start to mess with the nostalgia - especially in a fast and hurried way.

Other companies (down the road) don't have that nostalgia built, so they admittedly get judged by a different standard. And, that has pros and cons.

I'm not saying that is right or wrong. Rather than Disney, deep down, is now a nostalgia company pretending to be a luxury lifestyle company. Nostalgia takes a different management style, especially when you are talking physical spaces vs. films or marketing displays. Those that are most successful know how to play into as many streams of nostalgia as possible. But, that takes a different type of creative than those that drive more immediate (but often shorter-term) popularity.
I actually disagree with some of this. I think Disney SHOULD be judged by a stricter standard - they are the clear industry leaders, the trend setters, and once regularly created genuine masterpieces. But Disney isn’t judged more harshly. Gringots, a significantly more ambitious attraction then GotG, is by no means a total success, but compare its reception to GotG - it’s tremendous strengths are dismissed (it’s theming, story, and preshow are VASTLY superior to GotG and it actually tries to do interesting, innovative, story-related things with its ride tech) while it’s weaknesses are used to dismiss the entire attraction in the harshest terms. The wonderful Bourne, built very quickly and with very little fanfare, would be hailed for years and years by Disney fans and Disney PR alike had it been built up the road. The HP areas are respected and acclaimed but don’t receive the universal credit as complete masterpieces of theming that absolutely revolutionized the theme park industry they would have had Disney built them.

Meanwhile, had Uni opened TSL (or Avengers Campus) it would constantly be used as a cudgel to denigrate all of the resort, much as the stupidly goofy F&F is. Quite frankly, even GE and RotR, while excellent additions, escape legitimate criticism because of the Disney aura. The awful Smugglers, almost entirely forgotten in evaluations of SWL, would be MUCH more central to discussion had Uni built it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom