Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

ctrlaltdel

Nemesis (Alton Towers), Taron (Phantasialand), and F.L.Y. (also Phantasialand) are all excellent examples of very thrilling coasters that don't need to tower over their surroundings and are all highly themed (and not a one is by a Universal or Disney park!)
Yep. But exposed coaster track is a mortal sin for many Disney fans (unless, again, it is something like a train).

No Name

Some people are conditioned to find exposed coaster track ugly because some regional parks build ugly ones named after random superheroes on plots of fenced off dying grass. When they’re integrated into the surroundings well like Velocicoaster, and make some level of thematic sense, they’re really not bad. And Epcot, a park with a monorail through it, could certainly use a scenic coaster.

Hawg G

It looks fun. Is it the show stopped that the park needed? Doesn’t look like it.

Also another attraction taking part in the worrying trend of the pre show being more impressive than the actual ride.
Yeah, I don't want long winded preshows for thrill rides. Not that this will have a short queue for years, but they do spend more time on their design tjan the ride lately it seems.

Jrb1979

If you put G forces then you will eliminate a significant portion of guests who can ride it. Motion sickness is already an issue. You don't need to add G forces to that. I agree with you though but I guess there are many parks already that caters to thrill seekers.
I agree there are other parks to cater to the thrill seekers. I know they want to cater rides that the whole family can ride. IMO a balance would be nice. I thought they were on a good path when adding Extraterrestrial. A little edgier ride but IMO something that was needed.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Haven’t been able to see the full queue yet (will later) but looks solid and the e ticket that EPCOT desperately needed.

I have seen a (not the best quality) POV of the actual coaster.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
EPCOT in Xandarian

1651768619263.png

Casper Gutman

I’m a little bit surprised that more folks aren’t taken aback by the fact that the key piece of concept art we saw over and over, guests standing in front of the life size Milano and the full GotG cast, is apparently nowhere in the ride. Instead, we’re transported from one area where we are watching flat screens to a slightly different area where we are watching flat screens. And throughout, the stars of the IP - the stars of the most successful media franchise in Hollywood history - appear only on TV size 2-D monitors. It’s an amazing design choice. Coupled with Groot and Rockets voices, it almost seems like they wanted to pay the cast as little as possible.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I’m a little bit surprised that more folks aren’t taken aback by the fact that the key piece of concept art we saw over and over, guests standing in front of the life size Milano and the full GotG cast, is apparently nowhere in the ride. Instead, we’re transported from one area where we are watching flat screens to a slightly different area where we are watching flat screens. And throughout, the stars of the IP - the stars of the most successful media franchise in Hollywood history - appear only on TV size 2-D monitors. It’s an amazing design choice. Coupled with Groot and Rockets voices, it almost seems like they wanted to pay the cast as little as possible.
Yes it seems like there was a change of direction somewhere along the lines. The confusion around AA's and this scene seem to support that.

No Name

But then why would they hire Glenn Close and Terry Crews instead of using the no-names they usually do? It’s highly confusing.

yensidtlaw1969

Yep. But exposed coaster track is a mortal sin for many Disney fans (unless, again, it is something like a train).
Some people are conditioned to find exposed coaster track ugly because some regional parks build ugly ones named after random superheroes on plots of fenced off dying grass. When they’re integrated into the surroundings well like Velocicoaster, and make some level of thematic sense, they’re really not bad. And Epcot, a park with a monorail through it, could certainly use a scenic coaster.

The main problem with Coaster Track is that it telegraphs in a highly visible way exactly what it is - a Roller Coaster. Such structures are found pretty exclusively in one type of place - Amusement/Theme Parks.

The issue is that when you're in a Theme Park you're generally not meant to feel like you're in a Theme Park, you're meant to feel like you're somewhere else. Generally, both you and the park have paid a lot of money for the illusion that you're somewhere else. High-flying exposed coaster track is the quickest way to undercut all the rest of the immersion and remind people where they actually are instead of where they're meant to feel like they are. Which defeats much of the purpose of a Theme Park vs. a mere Amusement Park.

There are ways of doing it that work; as someone mentioned earlier, Velocicoaster is set Jurassic World, which is still a theme park, so a coaster isn't wholly inappropriate. That sort of level of thematic redundancy isn't my personal favorite, but it's technically a fair justification for exposed coaster track. How the sightlines impact the other lands is a bit of a different story, but your mileage may vary about how much that sort of intrusion bothers you. But within it, the exposed track doesn't break the theme of the land because "Theme Park" is the theme of that land.

However, the places within theme parks where "Theme Park" is the theme are few and far between, precisely because so much of the design goal of a theme park is to help you forget you're actually in one. So a good first step to doing that is to mask out anyting that screams "Theme Park". That's why Disney doesn't have a lot of Ferris Wheels, either - they give away the "secret" that this whole place is actually a kind of Amusement Park, despite millions of dollars and years of construction meant to convince you otherwise.

khlaylav

The main problem with Coaster Track is that it telegraphs in a highly visible way exactly what it is - a Roller Coaster. Such structures are found pretty exclusively in one type of place - Amusement/Theme Parks.

The issue is that when you're in a Theme Park you're generally not meant to feel like you're in a Theme Park, you're meant to feel like you're somewhere else. Generally, both you and the park have paid a lot of money for the illusion that you're somewhere else. High-flying exposed coaster track is the quickest way to undercut all the rest of the immersion and remind people where they actually are instead of where they're meant to feel like they are. Which defeats much of the purpose of a Theme Park vs. a mere Amusement Park.

There are ways of doing it that work; as someone mentioned earlier, Velocicoaster is set Jurassic World, which is still a theme park, so a coaster isn't wholly inappropriate. That sort of level of thematic redundancy isn't my personal favorite, but it's technically a fair justification for exposed coaster track. How the sightlines impact the other lands is a bit of a different story, but your mileage may vary about how much that sort of intrusion bothers you. But within it, the exposed track doesn't break the theme of the land because "Theme Park" is the theme of that land.

However, the places within theme parks where "Theme Park" is the theme are few and far between, precisely because so much of the design goal of a theme park is to help you forget you're actually in one. So a good first step to doing that is to mask out anyting that screams "Theme Park". That's why Disney doesn't have a lot of Ferris Wheels, either - they give away the "secret" that this whole place is actually a kind of Amusement Park, despite millions of dollars and years of construction meant to convince you otherwise.
This is a really good way of putting it. I think it's also instructive that the closest thing to a full on thrill coaster with exposed track and all in Disney is California Screamin', in an area explicitly themed around a throwback to the days of places like Coney Island (opinions on the rebrand aside)

retr0gate

Peter Quill talking about how he’s excited to ride Horizons and stuff is so terribly cringey. Chris Pratt probably doesn’t know what this means and still looks like it’s paining him to say it.
This bothered me too. Appreciate the joke but god was that delivery awful. The way he said "can't wait to hear the veggie veggie fruit fruit"

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
This bothered me too. Appreciate the joke but god was that delivery awful. The way he said "can't wait to hear the veggie veggie fruit fruit"
I think it conveys how much time has passed. Your average 60 year old in the Annual Pass Facebook group would say the same thing. Remember, in the story he hasn't been to EPCOT or even EARTH since he was a kid.

UNCgolf

I couldn't disagree more about Velocicoaster -- I think it significantly detracts from what was previously one of the best areas at Universal.

UNCgolf

This is a much better articulation of the point I was trying to make above regarding a break in the illusion of a theme park.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

I think it conveys how much time has passed. Your average 60 year old in the Annual Pass Facebook group would say the same thing. Remember, in the story he hasn't been to EPCOT or even EARTH since he was a kid.
Everyone understands the (very contrived) plot logic, but it’s more of the shameless leveraging of nostalgia for attractions that the company destroyed but wants to continue to profit from. It has always bordered on outright gloating, but this seems to cross the line. It’s a glib acknowledgement that they wrecked something people loved.

yensidtlaw1969

This is a really good way of putting it. I think it's also instructive that the closest thing to a full on thrill coaster with exposed track and all in Disney is California Screamin', in an area explicitly themed around a throwback to the days of places like Coney Island (opinions on the rebrand aside)
Totally - Paradise Pier is was themed to create the illusion of an Amusement Park. A big, sprawing, wooden coaster makes perfect sense to conjur the illusion that kind of space. Whether or not that's a good basis for your theme is a different story, but a Roller Coaster is absolutely suited to executing that particular theme.

This is part of what makes Pixar Pier so messy. What's actually happening there? Was this pier built by the Pixar Characters? Or for them? Is this a random pier somewhere that Pixar Characters have taken over for some reason? What do piers have to do with Pixar besides both of them being, like, fun things?

The answer is, of course(and disappointingly), "Don't think about it that hard - we didn't".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom