Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

Casper Gutman

I didn't say it necessarily would. With some sort of Peoplemover-type conceit I suppose it could work. EPCOT is a theme park, but generally plays by different rules regarding its theme - it was always a little more brechtian in its presentation than really any other park. That doesn't automatically preclude it from featuring an exposed track roller coaster, it would just have to be integrated in a way that doesn't scream "THIS IS A THEME PARK".
OK, I don’t know that I agree that EPCOT is a “Brechtian” theme park, but I love the concept!

UNCgolf

I didn't say it necessarily would. With some sort of Peoplemover-type conceit I suppose it could work. EPCOT is a theme park, but generally plays by different rules regarding its theme - it was always a little more brechtian in its presentation than really any other park. That doesn't automatically preclude it from featuring an exposed track roller coaster, it would just have to be integrated in a way that doesn't scream "THIS IS A THEME PARK".

I wouldn't be a fan of it, but it could potentially work in Future World. I don't think there's any way it could work around the World Showcase, though.

yensidtlaw1969

I wouldn't be a fan of it, but it could potentially work in Future World. I don't think there's any way it could work around the World Showcase, though.
Oh I assumed they were talking about Future World.

I'm not looking for an add like this to EPCOT myself, but it *could* be done without unraveling the fabric of the park. Which is more than can be said for some attractions that actually have been built.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
NOW ENTERING
EPCOT
1651783451434.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

david10225

Just an observation but that second preshow with all that dialogue just seems to go on and on. I'm sure people will be talking over it. I wonder if that will impact the story of the attraction at all..or does it really not matter.

Casper Gutman

Just an observation but that second preshow with all that dialogue just seems to go on and on. I'm sure people will be talking over it. I wonder if that will impact the story of the attraction at all..or does it really not matter.
Yup. A lot of the plot could have been cut, and what wasn’t cut should have been integrated into show scenes early in the ride. It’s the same with RotR - I think guests should have been loaded on vehicles after the first, Rey-centered pre-show, with the remaining pre-shows part of the ride itself. Disney is making the mistake Uni made when it first opened - thinking lots of preshows equals more substance and guest satisfaction. Get to the ride!

UNCgolf

Yup. A lot of the plot could have been cut, and what wasn’t cut should have been integrated into show scenes early in the ride. It’s the same with RotR - I think guests should have been loaded on vehicles after the first, Rey-centered pre-show, with the remaining pre-shows part of the ride itself. Disney is making the mistake Uni made when it first opened - thinking lots of preshows equals more substance and guest satisfaction. Get to the ride!

Weird thing about that, though, is Universal Studios itself was much better with those early attractions than it is now. They've almost consistently downgraded the park instead of improving it (with a couple of exceptions) -- it's Universal's version of EPCOT.

But while I like a good preshow, I do agree that Disney has recently started putting a lot of the actual content into the preshows instead of the ride.

Casper Gutman

Weird thing about that, though, is Universal Studios itself was much better with those early attractions than it is now. They've almost consistently downgraded the park instead of improving it (with a couple of exceptions) -- it's Universal's version of EPCOT.

But while I like a good preshow, I do agree that Disney has recently started putting a lot of the actual content into the preshows instead of the ride.
I completely and utterly disagree. I totally understand your perspective, particularly given your distaste for screens, but there isn’t one original attractions I’d take over it’s replacement. Kong and Jaws were ambitious and featured intriguing AAs, but the ride vehicles were very poorly designed and offered severely limited sight lines and neither gave a convincing sense of space (Amity seemed like a toy village and, ironically, Kong could really have used some SCREENZ to deepen the cityscape.). BttF was cacophonous and unappealing and captured none of the charm of the wonderful films - I rode it before I saw the trilogy and was shocked by the greatness of the movies themselves. The opening day (I believe) attractions that remain are the ones I liked - ET, the Animal show, and the Makeup show.

It has too many SCREENZ and Uni needs to address that as soon as EU is done, but right now Uni Studios is my favorite park in Orlando in which to hang out and relax, and the Animal and Makeup shows are the most rewatch/ reride friendly of any attraction at either resort.

yensidtlaw1969

View attachment 637202

LOL! So, I gotta believe this is some sort of bad luck on opening week sort of thing so they have TEMPORARY speakers set up here. Right? These black boxes? I mean, it's not like Disney isn't aware of the fine art of hiding speakers in walls.

View attachment 637203
That's gotta be temporary for the media event. But if they're still there on the 27th I'll call that Living with the Land Cucumber lady and get it taken care of.

My bigger concern is that show scene itself . . . all that space and that's what they fill it with? 🤨

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom