Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

Casper Gutman

The negativity around this is pretty astonishing. As a designer, you find approval from your audience in *laughter* more so than applause. An overwhelmingly amazing experience causes us to laugh at it, in an "oh my god this is amazing" kind of way. This 100% has that appeal. And the queue has a literal tribute to Walt and the EPCOT Film. The amount of people who will never be pleased is astonishing. I'm just grateful they were willing to even say the name "CommuniCore" or "Horizons". For a while after the Millenium you'd get shot for saying that kind of thing.
They've been leveraging the old, destroyed rides in merchandise for years and years! It's one of their main marketing strategies - it often seems like they're more eager to market Horizons then Mission: Space! I don't understand how you can say they wouldn't mention the old rides.

Kamikaze

I will admit it looks like a great coaster for Disney. Looks like it will a fun ride. My only complaint and it's the same for all Disney coasters and it's the lack of G forces. Theming is a great thing for a ride but for me I need a physical side of a ride too.
There are other parks to attend for those sorts of rides. I love me some Cedar Point, but to expect Maverick or MF or SteVe type of rides at Disney parks is just not going to happen.

Jrb1979

There are other parks to attend for those sorts of rides. I love me some Cedar Point, but to expect Maverick or MF or SteVe type of rides at Disney parks is just not going to happen.
I don't expect that cause of the type of park Disney is. I would love to see a coaster like Cobras Curse at Bush Gardens. Its a family coaster but has some good G forces.

Giss Neric

I will admit it looks like a great coaster for Disney. Looks like it will a fun ride. My only complaint and it's the same for all Disney coasters and it's the lack of G forces. Theming is a great thing for a ride but for me I need a physical side of a ride too.
If you put G forces then you will eliminate a significant portion of guests who can ride it. Motion sickness is already an issue. You don't need to add G forces to that. I agree with you though but I guess there are many parks already that caters to thrill seekers.

Touchdown

The Incridicoaster is a thrilling ride that would fit in a regional coaster parks portfolio nicely, ditto RnRC. ToT and it’s derivatives would also be considered thrilling there as well.

Disney can push the envelope on thrilling rides it just closes to rarely do so.

ctrlaltdel

Personally, while I wish Disney would push more into full-on thrill territory, they do a really good job at the pleasing all ages/levels of thrillseekers type rides. They obviously aren't super intense, but they typically have enough force (and are well themed enough) to be ridable for the whole family without it going into full kids ride territory. This seems to be another addition into that realm. They have to please Little Johnny, Grandma, and everyone in between, which it takes a specific amount of "thrill" , and for the most part they excel in that area on their coasters.

UNCgolf

Personally, while I wish Disney would push more into full-on thrill territory, they do a really good job at the pleasing all ages/levels of thrillseekers type rides. They obviously aren't super intense, but they typically have enough force (and are well themed enough) to be ridable for the whole family without it going into full kids ride territory. This seems to be another addition into that realm. They have to please Little Johnny, Grandma, and everyone in between, which it takes a specific amount of "thrill" , and for the most part they excel in that area on their coasters.

I think one of the issues with Disney building a full-on intense thrill coaster is the overall size and inability to hide it. You typically need to build something with the height of Velocicoaster or Hulk to get that level of thrill, which means it will tower over the surrounding area. That really doesn't mesh well with the concept of a theme park in most circumstances.

ctrlaltdel

I think one of the issues with Disney building a full-on intense thrill coaster is the overall size and inability to hide it. You typically need to build something with the height of Velocicoaster or Hulk to get that level of thrill, which means it will tower over the surrounding area. That really doesn't mesh well with the concept of a theme park in most circumstances.
I agree with you that Disney really isn't all that interested in a large, obvious coaster track (unless they can theme it to a train) in most circumstances. Doesn't really fit with their MO, even if it could still be well themed. I also personally don't care all that much about that, even at a Disney park. I think a lot of people here would throw a fit is something like Velocicoaster got built at Disney (which is fine, they don't like that at a Disney park).

khlaylav

Full-on thrill coasters are also tricky to theme, period. Could Disney do it? Probably, but I don't think it's something they or a vast majority of their fans are interested in.

yensidtlaw1969

The negativity around this is pretty astonishing. As a designer, you find approval from your audience in *laughter* more so than applause. An overwhelmingly amazing experience causes us to laugh at it, in an "oh my god this is amazing" kind of way. This 100% has that appeal. And the queue has a literal tribute to Walt and the EPCOT Film. The amount of people who will never be pleased is astonishing. I'm just grateful they were willing to even say the name "CommuniCore" or "Horizons". For a while after the Millenium you'd get shot for saying that kind of thing.
Yeah, I don't think the people laughing at Star Lord being excited to ride Horizons are laughing in a "oh my god this is amazing" type way.

I mentioned this in another thread - the Walt Clip and "Concentric Design" reference hit the internet the same day Disney released its updated plans to destroy the parks actual concentric design. The irony is palpable. What's featured in this queue is not a tribute, it's lip service.

Saying people will "never be pleased" is a really quick and easy way to sweep lots of legitimate concerns under the rug. Let's not pretend it was ever illegal to say "Horizons" - Disney's been selling its logo on merch for 20 years. The issue is that Disney's deemed it sufficient to simply print it on T-Shirts and take cheap shots at it rather than to try to build rides that are actually worthy of the same sort of mantle it held.

The ride looks decently fun from the videos above, and I'm sure lots of guests will enjoy it for what it is. I'm sure I'll enjoy myself next time I'm at EPCOT, assuming I get in the virtual queue. But it can also be true that there are plenty of valid reasons to look and say "wow, is THIS what EPCOT is now?"

UNCgolf

I agree with you that Disney really isn't all that interested in a large, obvious coaster track (unless they can theme it to a train) in most circumstances. Doesn't really fit with their MO, even if it could still be well themed. I also personally don't care all that much about that, even at a Disney park. I think a lot of people here would throw a fit is something like Velocicoaster got built at Disney (which is fine, they don't like that at a Disney park).

I would definitely not be pleased if something like Velocicoaster was built at Disney, for that specific reason. It's hard to suspend disbelief and imagine you're actually on an alien planet, e.g., if there's a massive roller coaster towering overhead. It breaks the illusion.

There are some exceptions where you can get away with it -- like Slinky Dog where it's in theme for the area (although Slinky still has plenty of issues IMO). Velocicoaster technically attempts that too by saying it's a coaster at Jurassic Park, but I don't think it works very well in that instance.

UNCgolf

Full-on thrill coasters are also tricky to theme, period. Could Disney do it? Probably, but I don't think it's something they or a vast majority of their fans are interested in.

Oh absolutely, that's another one of the major issues. And why I think Guardians is a pretty good example of what Disney should do when they choose to build a coaster (even though I wish it was at DHS instead of EPCOT). I'd take it over Slinky or TRON 100 out of 100 times.

yensidtlaw1969

I think a low but fast scenic coaster around Epcot would be nice.
giphy.gif

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
You typically need to build something with the height of Velocicoaster or Hulk to get that level of thrill, which means it will tower over the surrounding area.

Nemesis (Alton Towers), Taron (Phantasialand), and F.L.Y. (also Phantasialand) are all excellent examples of very thrilling coasters that don't need to tower over their surroundings and are all highly themed (and not a one is by a Universal or Disney park!)

khlaylav

Oh absolutely, that's another one of the major issues. And why I think Guardians is a pretty good example of what Disney should do when they choose to build a coaster (even though I wish it was at DHS instead of EPCOT). I'd take it over Slinky or TRON 100 out of 100 times.
Heck, there's also the Aerosmith coaster. It's one that provides thrills at a fairly different level than most of WDW's offerings but is still themed fairly well because it's indoors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom