News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Sir_Cliff

Peter Pan was a box office dud.
Really? I always thought Peter Pan was one of the better performing films of the period.

It was apparently the 5th highest-grossing film of 1953 and the 16th highest-grossing film of all time at that point: https://archive.org/stream/variety193-1954-01#page/n301/mode/2up

Back on topic, I kind of agree that it's too soon to tell how well Guardians will be remembered. I also tend to think that it kind of won't matter as long as the ride is good enough. Lest we forget, there is an Aerosmith rollercoaster packing them in a short boat ride away...

Last edited:

Kman101

Really? I always thought Peter Pan was one of the better performing films of the period.

It was apparently the 5th highest-grossing film of 1953 and the 16th highest-grossing film of all time at that point: https://archive.org/stream/variety193-1954-01#page/n301/mode/2up

Back on topic, I kind of agree that it's too soon to tell how well Guardians will be remembered. I also tend to agree that it kind of won't matter as long as the ride is good enough. Lest we forget that there is an Aerosmith rollercoaster packing them in a short boat ride away...

Exactly, the film's enduring popularity shouldn't matter if the ride is good. So many guests don't have a clue about Song of the South but they took aspects of it and made a spectacular ride that guests love. A good ride can keep the characters relevant years past their movies. I think those that aren't into the franchise hope it tanks and the ride is seen as a mistake, but I don't think it will be either.

I actually prefer the Guardians to the more mainstream heroes, personally. I still think it feels wrong for Epcot but they need to knock this out of the park.

I mean, an overlay of TOT seems to be wowing the DL crowd so what do we know? lol

But like everything, new is always "fun and different" but where will the wait times be in a few years? Back to TOT walk-on/15 minute levels? It will be interesting to see.

And to be fair, any coaster will "pack them in" ...

Jenny72

But....we're not really comparing a classic work of children's fiction about the inevitable loss of innocence to Guardians of the Galaxy movies starring Chris Pratt, right? I know all the arguments about Song of the South, etc., but most people don't know that Splash Mountain has any relation to that. This is a whole different situation: it will be unmistakable (and heavily marketed). GotG is about the characters and the movies, and there's really no way around that when the characters are as outlandish as these are. I mean, no matter how much you try to tie the theme into energy (if they do try), this is going to be About a Movie.

To me, that's one of the things that makes this such an egregiously bad fit in Epcot. Like, not just bad, but so, so bad.

mikejs78

Premium Member

But....we're not really comparing a classic work of children's fiction about the inevitable loss of innocence to Guardians of the Galaxy movies starring Chris Pratt, right? I know all the arguments about Song of the South, etc., but most people don't know that Splash Mountain has any relation to that. This is a whole different situation: it will be unmistakable (and heavily marketed). GotG is about the characters and the movies, and there's really no way around that when the characters are as outlandish as these are. I mean, no matter how much you try to tie the theme into energy (if they do try), this is going to be About a Movie.

To me, that's one of the things that makes this such an egregiously bad fit in Epcot. Like, not just bad, but so, so bad.
Was it bad when they used Lion King in Circle of Life in The Land? I would have preferred the Guardians going somewhere else, but there is a way they could do this right. ..

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Was it bad when they used Lion King in Circle of Life in The Land? I would have preferred the Guardians going somewhere else, but there is a way they could do this right. ..

Lion King... circle of life... The Land... The movie's theme was about the same concepts as ones you see/hear about in The Land. I don't think anyone could argue that didn't fit into the pavilion. GotG - Fighting bad guys, father/daughter issues, prison escape, talking raccoon, giant tree thing, Infinity Stone... I'm just not seeing that same connection to UoE as with Lion King and The Land, but maybe I'm just not stretching things as far as Chappie and others at TWDC do - The movie simply is not about power or energy at its core. The ride may be good, but it would fit far better in a different park, maybe one about movies? Crazy talk, I know. ;)

I'm open to hearing about ways it could be done right, though, I'm not a monster. :eek: :)

montyz81

I don't predict GotG will have any mention of energy. I'm pretty sure they have abandoned the concept. Maybe a nod in the queue, but that's all I think it will have.
I am anticipating that it will be a little bit more than a passing nod since the storyline supposedly includes Peter visiting Epcot Center in the 1980s, the heyday of all the FW pavilions. That said, I think you are right, it will be mostly just as a way to connect the current tenant of the pavilion. There will no longer be any education on energy or any kind of inspirational message to improve the world's energy.

rle4lunch

I am anticipating that it will be a little bit more than a passing nod since the storyline supposedly includes Peter visiting Epcot Center in the 1980s, the heyday of all the FW pavilions. That said, I think you are right, it will be mostly just as a way to connect the current tenant of the pavilion. There will no longer be any education on energy or any kind of inspirational message to improve the world's energy.

but but, infinity stones are energy... lol

Jenny72

I think what makes it particularly hard to imagine is that the *tone* of Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't fit in with the tone of FW, which at one point was, "there are challenges, but with human ingenuity and hard work, we will move into the future and find solutions." There's an earnestness to it. But GotG is irreverent and goofy and for a few characters a bit nihlistic. (I mean, there's wanton killing and jokes about bodily fluids being sprayed around.)

It's pretty hard to imagine Drax and Rocket explaining the benefits of solar and wind power and the challenges of using them large scale. So I am having a hard time seeing how they could "do this right," to be honest. I don't see a way it works. I mean, try to imagine inserting Rocket into Living with the Land. Know what I mean?

montyz81

I think what makes it particularly hard to imagine is that the *tone* of Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't fit in with the tone of FW, which at one point was, "there are challenges, but with human ingenuity and hard work, we will move into the future and find solutions." There's an earnestness to it. But GotG is irreverent and goofy and for a few characters a bit nihlistic. (I mean, there's wanton killing and jokes about bodily fluids being sprayed around.)

It's pretty hard to imagine Drax and Rocket explaining the benefits of solar and wind power and the challenges of using them large scale. So I am having a hard time seeing how they could "do this right," to be honest. I don't see a way it works. I mean, try to imagine inserting Rocket into Living with the Land. Know what I mean?
Maybe we will all be surprised. Maybe a group of Imagineers are reading this right now and laughing at us because they are writing storylines that are very much in line with FW. Yep, I developed my hope in March of 1983 after coming off my first SSE ride and that hope has never left me.

WDWFREAK53

Lion King... circle of life... The Land... The movie's theme was about the same concepts as ones you see/hear about in The Land. I don't think anyone could argue that didn't fit into the pavilion. GotG - Fighting bad guys, father/daughter issues, prison escape, talking raccoon, giant tree thing, Infinity Stone... I'm just not seeing that same connection to UoE as with Lion King and The Land, but maybe I'm just not stretching things as far as Chappie and others at TWDC do - The movie simply is not about power or energy at its core. The ride may be good, but it would fit far better in a different park, maybe one about movies? Crazy talk, I know. ;)

I'm open to hearing about ways it could be done right, though, I'm not a monster. :eek::)

Literally the opening scene of Guardians 2 was them protecting the Anulax Batteries which are some of the most powerful energy sources known. While not ideal, there is definitely a way to keep the energy theme with Guardians.

Timothy_Q

Maybe we will all be surprised. Maybe a group of Imagineers are reading this right now and laughing at us because they are writing storylines that are very much in line with FW. Yep, I developed my hope in March of 1983 after coming off my first SSE ride and that hope has never left me.
Just like they wrote a storyline for FEA that highlighted Norwegian culture?

Kman101

From today.

Kinda but not really at all blending with the sky.
gFILgCg.jpg

If any part of the gravity building is gonna get theming, I'd imagine it'll be this side. It sorta sticks out from the rest of the building. Catwalks are up inside and some of the piping for the wiring is installed. Also, to the left of the track is a track support, not sure if that's new or not.
OIIllS5.jpg

The transition tunnel. On the go-away-blue panels, note the small slit running up it on the left. Not sure what that would be for exactly. Some nice festive work lights on the staircase at least. Merry Christmas, y'all.
o5uXBHo.jpg

The ladder is still dead.
CmcA4j9.jpg

And a lil' panorama of the building. It's not as bendy in real life.
KSnJoZn.jpg

Um, it's totally invisible. Duhhhhh. ;) :joyfull: :joyfull:

I mean, you're basically slapped in the face with it the second you pull into the parking lot. Ugh.

Kman101

I'm open to hearing about ways it could be done right, though, I'm not a monster. :eek::)

Or in a science fiction inspired Tomorrowland?

Epcot was a shortsighted decision.

Heck, they could have just re-themed RnRc to Guardians and called it a day and people would have eaten it up.

Kman101

They should have done this, because RnRC will most likely be redone at some point anyway. They probably thought it was a good idea to spread out the new attractions between multiple parks instead of just DHS, so I do see their reasoning in that regard, as much as I hate GotG in EPCOT.

Very true. I do get their reasoning for it going to Epcot. Maybe they shouldn’t have limited Guardians to a coaster? Were people begging for a coaster in Epcot? I think they also know coasters are a draw no matter what. I get it but I don’t like it ;) lol

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Just a thought

GOTG/Star Wars

Starlord = cross between Luke and Han Solo
Rocket = attitude and pilot skill of Han Solo
Gamora = Leia
Groot = Chewie
Drax = Obi Wan..............j/k

FerretAfros

I forgot about the EPCOT Center storyline. I found it so condescending I put it out of my mind. Maybe somehow the ride will include references to defunct EPCOT Center attractions. I guess that would be kinda cool.
Let's also remember that all of the Marvel Theme Park Universe (ugh, stop trying to make this a thing!) attractions are incredibly meta and are set in the parks themselves. HKDL's Iron Man Experience starts by taking off over Tomorrowland, flying past the castle, and across the bay into Hong Kong for your big battle with Tony Stark. Mission: Breakout takes place in DCA and is filled with old attraction memorabilia, because KABLAM! A recent blog post about the new Marvel lands coming to DCA and WDSP confirmed that they will be set in old Stark Industries buildings located in California and France, respectively.

I fully expect Epcot's GOTG coaster to follow the same format, and have some flimsy excuse for being located in Epcot itself. We've already been told that Peter Quill previously visited the park, so they're already laying the groundwork for his return.

On a superficial level, this approach seems logical for Epcot, which has never purported to transport you to far away locations and eras, but attempts to be an honest and open showcase for technology and culture from around the world. Perhaps more than any other park, you're constantly reminded that you're in a theme park, rather than a real location.

However, everything Epcot's done to date has had an earnest hopefulness about it, hoping to spread some sort of enrichment. All of the Marvel attractions to date have been very self-aware, smarmy, and a little too clever for their own good. And in a park where inspiration, aspiration, and collaboration are the central theme, a cynical attraction will tear that all apart.

Kman101

Just a thought

GOTG/Star Wars

Starlord = cross between Luke and Han Solo
Rocket = attitude and pilot skill of Han Solo
Gamora = Leia
Groot = Chewie
Drax = Obi Wan..............j/k

I think it's not too far off and part of the reason I love Guardians, gives me an updated Star Wars vibe in many ways. I just never once wanted a coaster with them in Epcot ;) lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom