News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Casper Gutman

It's more than just a small cost savings and appreciation...It is a massive, well built and beautifully designed building...Why not keep the building and add the ugly box behind and offstage? At least the park face will still fit the scale of the park.
It’s a sad example of WDW’s habit of destroying iconic, excellent attractions but maintaining some bauble they can wave in guests’ faces to convince them management has some respect for WDW history (they don’t) and to get those nostalgia dollars. Other examples include the “reimagining” of the Redhead and the zombie-like specter of Figment. Like the UoE building, those elements were beloved because of the context in which they existed, because they were given meaning by their part in a unified whole. Now that that original context has been destroyed, they’re cynical totems of the exploitation of nostalgia and, worse, actual barriers to new, coherent creativity. Really, Future World is now almost entirely defined by this, by half-baked rides shoved into the decaying husks of long-dead masterpieces.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It’s a sad example of WDW’s habit of destroying iconic, excellent attractions but maintaining some bauble they can wave in guests’ faces to convince them management has some respect for WDW history (they don’t) and to get those nostalgia dollars. Other examples include the “reimagining” of the Redhead and the zombie-like specter of Figment. Like the UoE building, those elements were beloved because of the context in which they existed, because they were given meaning by their part in a unified whole. Now that that original context has been destroyed, they’re cynical totems of the exploitation of nostalgia and, worse, actual barriers to new, coherent creativity. Really, Future World is now almost entirely defined by this, by half-baked rides shoved into the decaying husks of long-dead masterpieces.
Ah, yes... the "Unified Hole" theory.

imarc

Reposting as I accidentally put in wrong thread. Here's a photo we took last night un-zoomed of GotG from France. It's gonna be big.

I wonder if they'll use it for projections like they do SSE.

IMG_3689.JPG

Brian Swan

A big blue box may be the least offensive option, assuming that we must have a 130'+ tall box, but it's a long way from being acceptable.

Can someone remind me again why they couldn't fit more in the existing building? It's the second largest single-roofed structure on property (behind the Contemporary convention center) and one of the largest show buildings Disney has ever created, yet modern WDI seems to think it's only large enough for queue and load/unload. In addition to disrupting sightlines around the park, it's a colossal waste of a massive facility.
Height.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom