News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I thinng GotG deserves it, such a great one off attraction, regardless of whether not you think it should be in Epcot or not

It's one of the few rides that leaves a smile on my DW and my own face every time we ride it. IMHO it'll have more staying power due to its design than Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance which has too many technical challenges.

DisneyCane

It's one of the few rides that leaves a smile on my DW and my own face every time we ride it. IMHO it'll have more staying power due to its design than Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance which has too many technical challenges.
It leaves me with a smile and a queasy feeling. I'll be increasing the bromine dose next time. The ride is too much fun not to ride but the motion sickness is really bad (for me and my wife). Last time we went and rode TT single rider afterwards and, even though it was 15 minutes later, we both felt sick after the outdoor part of TT.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It's cool and all but feel like it's not really worthy of a Thea Award. It's a coaster with projections. And it's not like the story is all that great. But that's just this guys opinion. Queue/Pre-show reveal was cool though.
the unique ride system and how it is integrated with the utilized effects is not something we have really seen...

Poseidon Quest

the unique ride system and how it is integrated with the utilized effects is not something we have really seen...

Unique? As in rollercoasters with programmable yaw? Like Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts 8 years prior? In a big building with star projections like Space Mountain did a previous 47 years prior?

For good measure, might as well mention its novelty effect, the retracting walls in the pre-show, which was achieved by Poseidon's Fury on a larger scale after its rework in 2001.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Unique? As in rollercoasters with programmable yaw? Like Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts 8 years prior? In a big building with star projections like Space Mountain did a previous 47 years prior?

For good measure, might as well mention its novelty effect, the retracting walls in the pre-show, which was achieved by Poseidon's Fury on a larger scale after its rework in 2001.
😂 you’re silly.

surfsupdon

In what way? It isn't the greatest queue ever created but it's fine and the pre-show is entertaining (due mostly to Terry Crews).
It’s because it’s so long. Three separate rooms??!!
And everyone in the rooms “knows what to do” so it’s like a fight to keep moving onward. It’s not enjoyable. Too many people in a mob mentality without a structured line.
Then the exit into the narrowing passageway with the blinking red lights is not fun, enjoyable, or entertaining. This mob now has to form a line.
I hate it, I hate it.
And even an ILL purchase is still a minimum 30min queue.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And everyone in the rooms “knows what to do” so it’s like a fight to keep moving onward. It’s not enjoyable. Too many people in a mob mentality without a structured line.
Yes, Disney could have human-engineered a better crowd flow.

I've learned to just hang back and avoid the scrum. Letting everyone go first barely adds five minutes to the wait to ride, since it has a great PPH.

surfsupdon

Yes, Disney could have human-engineered a better crowd flow.

I've learned to just hang back and avoid the scrum. Letting everyone go first barely adds five minutes to the wait to ride, since it has a great PPH.
I actually like what Universal did with Velocicoaster. Having the preshow continually play while you are in a quick moving line. Works well.

It wouldn’t work at Tower (small intimate preshow) but at something like Guardians with those gigantic rooms…queue the space up and have the show continuous on a loop.

Horrible guest flow in its current state.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I actually like what Universal did with Velocicoaster. Having the preshow continually play while you are in a quick moving line. Works well.

It wouldn’t work at Tower (small intimate preshow) but at something like Guardians with those gigantic rooms…queue the space up and have the show continuous on a loop.

Horrible guest flow in its current state.
A 'simple solution' would be to move what's happening in the left corner (GotG, Cosmic Generator, Nova Corp) to the right corner or over the exit doors.

This way, everyone would be facing the correct way, and it would be natural to bunch up by it. Rather than a whole bunch of people move over to... nothing.

mergatroid

Yet it feels nothing like Gringotts does it really if we're being honest? One's a continually moving 'coaster' whilst the other is more a ride vehicle that stops in front of screens. I like Gringotts even though I hate Harry Potter, but at no stage does it feel similar to GOTG.

It's subjective whether people like it or not and you could say the same about whether it deserves the award. However it's just as easy to say Velocicoaster "Is just another outdoor coaster" or that "Transformers is just another Spiderman". I don't believe either of those things to be true to the extent that people experience them and not many will think that. I'm not really into how original a ride system is to judge a ride personally. To me it's how much I enjoy the ride experience than whether a particular effect uses a method similar to x,y or z elsewhere.

When the Mummy opened at Universal I read all the technical promo about the brand new technology and how it was the first and only coaster to contain x,y and z. I enjoyed riding it but at no stage did I think "Oh yes, this unique system that's the first to have a backwards moving straight to turntable with an 85 degree fast ascent makes all the difference" (just made that description up as an example, it's not accurate to what they said but you hopefully get the idea). I did however get off and think "That was a bit disappointing because I'd read all the stuff before riding expecting a load of original feeling, never before experienced marvels. Instead I got an indoor coaster with no ground-breaking feel to it". It didn't bother me that much, however all the technical jargon added expectations that were never lived up to as the so called originality of the ride system didn't add anything to my enjoyment of the ride.

Likewise any technical boast of originality that Guardians offers doesn't really affect most people's enjoyment. It's more was that long enough, was it fast and was it fun? A ride can feel original and can be subjective, all this 'coaster in a box' stuff which is used as an insinuation that it's no good can be levelled at most rides. Another 'outdoor coaster' can be levelled at any outdoor coaster but it doesn't tell the whole story there does it as they can each offer vastly different experiences and be enjoyed on many different levels?

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I don't think people are saying it's no good because it's an indoor coaster, or at least that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it doesn't really elevate beyond just being an indoor coaster -- even if it's a very good one -- and they'd indicated it was going to be something more than that. That doesn't mean it's a bad ride (and it's not a bad ride). I just don't think it's an especially great one and don't think it's even close to being one of the best at WDW.

Your description of Revenge of the Mummy is how I felt about Cosmic Rewind! I think Revenge of the Mummy is a better attraction than CR, even though it's not one of my absolute favorites either.

Of course it's all subjective, though.

Poseidon Quest

Yet it feels nothing like Gringotts does it really if we're being honest? One's a continually moving 'coaster' whilst the other is more a ride vehicle that stops in front of screens. I like Gringotts even though I hate Harry Potter, but at no stage does it feel similar to GOTG.

It's subjective whether people like it or not and you could say the same about whether it deserves the award. However it's just as easy to say Velocicoaster "Is just another outdoor coaster" or that "Transformers is just another Spiderman". I don't believe either of those things to be true to the extent that people experience them and not many will think that. I'm not really into how original a ride system is to judge a ride personally. To me it's how much I enjoy the ride experience than whether a particular effect uses a method similar to x,y or z elsewhere.

When the Mummy opened at Universal I read all the technical promo about the brand new technology and how it was the first and only coaster to contain x,y and z. I enjoyed riding it but at no stage did I think "Oh yes, this unique system that's the first to have a backwards moving straight to turntable with an 85 degree fast ascent makes all the difference" (just made that description up as an example, it's not accurate to what they said but you hopefully get the idea). I did however get off and think "That was a bit disappointing because I'd read all the stuff before riding expecting a load of original feeling, never before experienced marvels. Instead I got an indoor coaster with no ground-breaking feel to it". It didn't bother me that much, however all the technical jargon added expectations that were never lived up to as the so called originality of the ride system didn't add anything to my enjoyment of the ride.

Likewise any technical boast of originality that Guardians offers doesn't really affect most people's enjoyment. It's more was that long enough, was it fast and was it fun? A ride can feel original and can be subjective, all this 'coaster in a box' stuff which is used as an insinuation that it's no good can be levelled at most rides. Another 'outdoor coaster' can be levelled at any outdoor coaster but it doesn't tell the whole story there does it as they can each offer vastly different experiences and be enjoyed on many different levels?

The entire point is that there's nothing particularly unique about it. It's essentially just another Space Mountain and is not employing any technology that hasn't been seen much earlier. Gringotts doesn't utilize as much motion, but it doesn't mean it's not capable of it either. I've had a few rides where it bugged out and the vehicle spun in two or three circles. The issue is that people are always claiming that a merit of Guardians is that it's unique and it's very clearly not. Vekoma's technology is incredibly similar to what Intamin had already innovated.

Incomudro

The entire point is that there's nothing particularly unique about it. It's essentially just another Space Mountain and is not employing any technology that hasn't been seen much earlier. Gringotts doesn't utilize as much motion, but it doesn't mean it's not capable of it either. I've had a few rides where it bugged out and the vehicle spun in two or three circles. The issue is that people are always claiming that a merit of Guardians is that it's unique and it's very clearly not. Vekoma's technology is incredibly similar to what Intamin had already innovated.
You're making the argument that something can only be as good as the sum of its parts.
It's not a very good argument.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom