News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Patcheslee

Rip Ride Rocket says hi :)
DHs review of that one is simple lol christmas-nutcracker-1506353138cwm.jpg

mergatroid

Rip Ride RockIt was quite smooth on opening. If that is the comparison, CR is DOOMED!!!! 😄

(Apples to oranges, though. The forces exerted on the track, elemental exposure, etc. suggests CR will fare better with normal maintenance.)
I love Rip Ride Rockit personally, I always ride it. However it didn't had a good start it must be said. This is interesting for those who want to watch. As you say apples and oranges though somebody who's rather negative about Cosmic Rewind brought coasters into the equation.

Epcot82Guy

I love Rip Ride Rockit personally, I always ride it. However it didn't had a good start it must be said. This is interesting for those who want to watch. As you say apples and oranges though somebody who's rather negative about Cosmic Rewind brought coasters into the equation.

Fair point! I forgot about the initial trains' issues. My first ride was post-2010 admittedly. And, that profiling has NOT weathered well sadly. It's a really interesting coaster with a fun layout. But, it could use a reprofiling and song update desperately. (I have to imagine it's on Universal's list.)

For CR, I'm honestly much more concerned with the rotation mechanism, screens, etc. wearing out before track roughness. A bit issue it will deal with is image drift (meaning alignment between the cars, screens, etc.). One of the big contributors to motion sickness is misalignment between real motion and perceived motion. That's likely a much greater risk over time than the track profiling.

mergatroid

Fair point! I forgot about the initial trains' issues. My first ride was post-2010 admittedly. And, that profiling has NOT weathered well sadly. It's a really interesting coaster with a fun layout. But, it could use a reprofiling and song update desperately. (I have to imagine it's on Universal's list.)

For CR, I'm honestly much more concerned with the rotation mechanism, screens, etc. wearing out before track roughness. A bit issue it will deal with is image drift (meaning alignment between the cars, screens, etc.). One of the big contributors to motion sickness is misalignment between real motion and perceived motion. That's likely a much greater risk over time than the track profiling.
I don't mind 'rough' coasters personally, as long as my head's not being banged. Rip Rockit is very fun for me, even enjoy the vertical climb. Always ride it at Halloween Horror Nights usually when there's a less than 10 minute wait. The other year I was accosted by a group of young ladies as I queued. My wife won't ride so I was on my own in the line. They'd been drinking a bit and decided they liked my 'British accent' and wanted me to ride with them. I felt like James Bond for the duration :cool:

Rich Brownn

Rip Ride RockIt was quite smooth on opening. If that is the comparison, CR is DOOMED!!!! 😄

(Apples to oranges, though. The forces exerted on the track, elemental exposure, etc. suggests CR will fare better with normal maintenance.)
Maybe for you. The one I got (5 days after opening) was the head banger from hell. Which was pretty amazing conceding the restraints (which I also find terribly unconmfortable)

No Name

I remember riding Gatekeeper at Cedar Point when it was fairly new, and it was the smoothest coaster I’d ever been on. So smooth I felt like I could’ve fallen asleep on it. My head never bounced against the headrest or anything. Went back a few years later and it was fine but no smoother than the average coaster.

mergatroid

I remember riding Gatekeeper at Cedar Point when it was fairly new, and it was the smoothest coaster I’d ever been on. So smooth I felt like I could’ve fallen asleep on it. My head never bounced against the headrest or anything. Went back a few years later and it was fine but no smoother than the average coaster.
I believe a couple of posters have said that this is smoother than Hagrid's and Velocicoaster even just after they'd opened, somebody else said smoothest ride they'd ever been on. Hopefully this means that it's not just a 'smooth because it's new' thing, but rather a product by design. Time will tell?

I get the impression though that one or two might be trying to make 'smooth' the new 'fun'

Fun = not very good
Smooth = not very good

lazyboy97o

Since their bankruptcy at the start of the century, Vekoma has invested heavily in their design and manufacturing technology. The result is much smoother coasters that don’t become headbangers like their previous, Arrow-derived track design. This whole coaster is possible because of Vekoma’s dedicated work in developing new technologies.

celluloid

Since their bankruptcy at the start of the century, Vekoma has invested heavily in their design and manufacturing technology. The result is much smoother coasters that don’t become headbangers like their previous, Arrow-derived track design. This whole coaster is possible because of Vekoma’s dedicated work in developing new technologies.
Exactly.
This was my original point to see such a glowing review of Vekoma is nice.

Vekoma with their arrow type tracks and Suspended Looping Coaster models and Boomerang's in particular were notorious for jokes of headbanging and some really were brutal.

For coaster historians, it is an amazing comeback story to be seen with a lot of new projects down the line and coaster designs that seem really intriguing for parks and fans.

Their designs are better, it is not just because it is new, some brand new Vekomas were very rough even when new in the early years.

Also, besides transitions and design, roughness of situations often has to do with wheel maintenance. You want the wheels to keep as much contact with the track as possible.

mergatroid

Exactly.
This was my original point to see such a glowing review of Vekoma is nice.

Vekoma with their arrow type tracks and Suspended Looping Coaster models and Boomerang's in particular were notorious for jokes of headbanging and some really were brutal.

For coaster historians, it is an amazing comeback story to be seen with a lot of new projects down the line and coaster designs that seem really intriguing for parks and fans.

Their designs are better, it is not just because it is new, some brand new Vekomas were very rough even when new in the early years.

Also, besides transitions and design, roughness of situations often has to do with wheel maintenance. You want the wheels to keep as much contact with the track as possible.
I would agree. It appears those who are saying "Every coaster is super smooth when new" or "Just like the new car smell which wears off" seem to be the ones who are shall we say, not the greatest fans of this ride (and they're perfectly entitled to say whatever they like).

DisneyCane

I don't want spoilers so I'm asking this here. For somebody who feels slightly off after Expedition Everest (not on the brink of vomiting or anything like that), should I be concerned about motion sickness on this ride? When I finally get to ride in a few weeks, would people who have ridden recommend taking Dramamine prior to riding?

UNCgolf

I don't want spoilers so I'm asking this here. For somebody who feels slightly off after Expedition Everest (not on the brink of vomiting or anything like that), should I be concerned about motion sickness on this ride? When I finally get to ride in a few weeks, would people who have ridden recommend taking Dramamine prior to riding?

It's apparently hard to say. In another thread someone who said he'd never felt sick on any ride, including Mission: Space Orange, felt kind of dizzy and nauseated after this. But other people who have gotten sick from FoP, Everest, etc. had no issues on this ride.

Last edited:

Furiated

The backwards part on Everest gets me shook up a bit. Enough that I know not to try back to back rides. I got to do 3 rides in GotG during the DVC preview. Ride 1 was fine. No real issues but I could tell that back to back rides might mess me up. Still did it anyways because of the opportunity. Ride 2 was still mostly good, a little shaken. There was a long line between that and ride 3 which allowed me to settle a bit. After ride 3, I was pretty shaken. Not about to vomit or anything but definitely had to tap out. And this was after having been proactive and taken a Bonine (I prefer that to Dramamine)

mhochman

The feeling I got near the end of Guardians (IMO, that is the most "intense" moment), felt very similar to me to the part of Everest that hits me the hardest (going backward when you sort of feel that maybe you're going upside down). Neither is too intense for me personally, so I can speak to the need for taking a med, but the feeling was similar.

yeti

I find the ride is slightly milder than Everest, so you should be ok.

correcaminos

Our friends have issues (small) with the backwards part of EE. Zero issues on this ride. No meds taken the third time and no issues. Bonine taken the first two times a few hours before. We all agree this is significantly less intense of a ride than EE and doesn't induce issues for any of our group. Only one who did was the spouse of one but they cannot even do Slinky. They were okay ish. The back rows are the most intense IMO

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom