News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

James Alucobond

The buckling on the roof? I wouldn't think the paint causes that. Personally the roof looks like it's misassembled. Random width, tile width, spacing, etc. There's no logic to the pattern.
There's a definitive pattern mirrored on both sides that radiates outward. The pattern becomes more apparent the closer you are to viewing it from the center. I highly, highly doubt the roof is incorrectly assembled from a design standpoint. The buckling is only apparent on the trim. Perhaps it's secured too frequently to allow for proper expansion as it heats and cools? Someone with knowledge of metal roofing probably knows better than me. Either way, I think it's both an easy fix (relatively speaking) and not indicative of actual structural problems regardless.

kinglsyyy

The buckling on the roof? I wouldn't think the paint causes that. Personally the roof looks like it's misassembled. Random width, tile width, spacing, etc. There's no logic to the pattern.
There has been rare instances where paint has caused elements to buckle. When somthing fabricated say white is in installed and later painted say black.

I have seen it on vinyl siding a few times over 10 years.

kinglsyyy

There's a definitive pattern mirrored on both sides that radiates outward. The pattern becomes more apparent the closer you are to viewing it from the center. I highly, highly doubt the roof is incorrectly assembled from a design standpoint. The buckling is only apparent on the trim. Perhaps it's secured too frequently to allow for proper expansion as it heats and cools? Someone with knowledge of metal roofing probably knows better than me. Either way, I think it's both an easy fix (relatively speaking) and not indicative of actual structural problems regardless.
The trim piece looks thin, and there doesnt appear to be any expansion joints, allowing for thermal expansion.

Castle Cake Apologist

Could the back and forth with the color scheme be related to the concerns with the lighting package? Perhaps painting it darker will lessen the issues with SSE washing it out, and will allow the lighting on the attraction to be seen better against a darker backdrop? I could be way off, but it was a thought I had.

James Alucobond

Could the back and forth with the color scheme be related to the concerns with the lighting package? Perhaps painting it darker will lessen the issues with SSE washing it out, and will allow the lighting on the attraction to be seen better against a darker backdrop? I could be way off, but it was a thought I had.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in terms of actual implementation (not concept art), didn't they only change their minds once? Like, it was painted copper during the main reconstruction of the exterior, they later did some testing of new colors, and now they're moving forward with those revised colors, which happen to be closer to the original concept art.

Also, not in response to the above post but to earlier conjecture from others, I'm pretty sure the new slim light fixtures in the area were installed at the beginning of 2020, so I don't think it would have been possible for them to be selected in response to the additional ambient light put off by SSE if it was in fact unanticipated.

TrippedUp

I don't think the buckling is something to be overly concerned about. It will be a punchlist item. The engineer probably left out thermal expansion points because he was supposed to have solar panels, the review boards rubber stamped it because they needed *something* on the roof fast, and the contractor built exactly what the engineer gave him, and now Disney has to pay them to fix it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

I'm hoping we'll see a lot of fixes to the roof, because right now it looks like crap in several places...not just the buckling which is something that's not surprising and I'm sure they'll easily fix. The difference in colors of panels randomly and a few that look like a lot of scratch marks on them...it looks like this roof has been on there for 5 years already.

Incomudro

It's still a shame that the solar panels weren't simply replaced. This would have eliminated this issue from developing and also supported Disney's environmental commitments.
I wanted the solar panels back at first, but they have nothing to do with Guardians, and are hardly the stuff of high tech anymore when we can see the on our neighbors house.

ImperfectPixie

I wanted the solar panels back at first, but they have nothing to do with Guardians, and are hardly the stuff of high tech anymore when we can see the on our neighbors house.
Maybe not, but they did contribute to a very techy look when on the Guardians building...that roof looked way cooler than a square of solar panels on a plain jane house/building.

Incomudro

Maybe not, but they did contribute to a very techy look when on the Guardians building...that roof looked way cooler than a square of solar panels on a plain jane house/building.
They did look good, I really liked the look.
But, the ride is Guardians now and solar panels don't really fit that aesthetic.
I mean, the could work - but for me - what's the point now anyway?

ImperfectPixie

They did look good, I really liked the look.
But, the ride is Guardians now and solar panels don't really fit that aesthetic.
I mean, the could work - but for me - what's the point now anyway?
Well, one could argue that on Xandar, they're much more aware of the need for balance and the use of natural resources, so solar panels are in use in many areas? (Kidding, but kind of not kidding...the way Xandar was presented in the first film reminded me a lot of Tomorrowland in the film of the same name...hence why I say this.)

tpoly88

There is a sad and ironic twist in this thread. So, we don't want solar panels because they don't fit into Xandar or its ascetic. Though they would very much fit into Epcot. It's just sad how this doesn't fit into this park at all - and seems to be getting worse place-setting wise. But I digress.
I think all of are forgetting that next to Epcot is a big solar farm Disney made. It’s much easier to maintain than having the roof panels on this building. I think Disney will continue to expand areas of solar and put them on buildings with flat roofs. Maintenance big issue with solar. Need to keep the panels clean

michmousefan

I think all of are forgetting that next to Epcot is a big solar farm Disney made. It’s much easier to maintain than having the roof panels on this building. I think Disney will continue to expand areas of solar and put them on buildings with flat roofs. Maintenance big issue with solar. Need to keep the panels clean
Not just that, but there is a *titanic* solar farm on the west side the resort property, which provides a significant amount of power to the entire resort. The concept of "ride on sunshine" was perfect for Universe of Energy when it debuted, but now solar cells have achieved enough of a mainstream usage that a rooftop display wouldn't really have much of an impact, particularly given the power needs of the new attraction. I doubt anyone at Disney PR is going to be pushing any Energy-related content here, aside from a nod to the original attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom