News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Dan Deesnee

That ship just looks so bad in person. I had a work meeting down in Orlando recently and swung in since I have an AP. All you notice is the giant metal stand holding it up. Like I've said before, that is a 20-30k prop and I believe they cheaped out on it. If you can build a Mazda for 20k, you can build this "star ship" for the same, if not less. It reminded me of something I'd see in Universal and is not up to Disneys standards.

TikibirdLand

That ship just looks so bad in person. I had a work meeting down in Orlando recently and swung in since I have an AP. All you notice is the giant metal stand holding it up. Like I've said before, that is a 20-30k prop and I believe they cheaped out on it. If you can build a Mazda for 20k, you can build this "star ship" for the same, if not less. It reminded me of something I'd see in Universal and is not up to Disneys standards.
I can live with it overall. But, that back-end? It looks like some kind of mechanical squid. Absolutely ugly!
But, hey, epcot is getting its first coaster. The 5 hour line to ride it should clear the walkways in the WS. There's that...

ToTBellHop

This is why I disliked the Guardians mix tape appearing. It's an incredibly minor complaint but it does break the supposed theme.
Seemed odd to me. I think the size is the issue. A tiny mixtape floating by as an Easter egg would be better. As it is, it feels like we are being hit over the head with, “don’t worry! You won’t actually learn anything here. It’ll be silly and fun!”

UNCgolf

Seemed odd to me. I think the size is the issue. A tiny mixtape floating by as an Easter egg would be better. As it is, it feels like we are being hit over the head with, “don’t worry! You won’t actually learn anything here. It’ll be silly and fun!”

Yeah -- I was thinking along the lines of, "Yes you're in the right place this is Guardians don't worry!!"

Purduevian

They might have cheapened out on the ship. However, comparing a 1 off hand built custom prop to a vehicle that rolls off the assembly line is not really fair. Economies of scale vastly reduces the price on anything that is made in bulk (like a mazda).

retr0gate

People are complaining about how the style of this first preshow room matches that of test track and mission space- is that supposed to be a bad thing? I mean if you don't like how it looks, that's a matter of personal preference and it's fine, but imo this helps to make World Discovery feel more like a cohesive area. The neighborhood concept is still weird, but at least these areas are starting to have some semblance of individuality and I imagine Journey of Water will do the same for World Nature once that's open. I actually appreciate how this side of (the area formerly known as) future world has more of a space age / industrial look whereas the former future world west has / will have a more natural look once it's complete.

trainplane3

People are complaining about how the style of this first preshow room matches that of test track and mission space- is that supposed to be a bad thing? I mean if you don't like how it looks, that's a matter of personal preference and it's fine, but imo this helps to make World Discovery feel more like a cohesive area. The neighborhood concept is still weird, but at least these areas are starting to have some semblance of individuality and I imagine Journey of Water will do the same for World Nature once that's open. I actually appreciate how this side of (the area formerly known as) future world has more of a space age / industrial look whereas the former future world west has / will have a more natural look once it's complete.
Not really a bad thing but guests already get things confused because of similarities. Making a blue tinted room with a ceiling projection will only add to the confusion I hear about Space Mountain and Mission: Space. I've known people that get Test Track and the Speedway confused, 7DMT and BTM, Star Tours and M:S, etc.

It's easy for most of us to know the difference but the game of 20000 questions to figure out what they rode is a issue.

gorillaball

Everyone has their own opinions, rightly so. I think the ship itself looks great, the stand not so much. And if you think that prop only costs 30k you are in lala land. (I know that goes the opposite of your point, but still, wildly off base would be my guess)

montyz81

To be fair, it takes three or more years and millions of dollars to "build" a Mazda before you get it. That being said, I see your point. And that point is that Disney only has to be barely as good as Universal now; they do not need to spend the money to exceed them. BTW, this is the same philosophy that General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler took in the 80s. They rested on their laurels for so long they all went bankrupt in 2008. Bob Cheapik and Bob Iger have started Disney down that same path.

It's a largely featureless room with a curved plastic aesthetic. As Monty said, its very reminiscent of TT in what seems to be the emerging, generic Future World style. Nothing about it reads Xander, and ABSOLUTELY nothing about it evokes Guardians. Show those images to someone unfamiliar with what WDW is currently building and I highly doubt they are even able to identify this as a Marvel attraction.
I mean isn't that the point?

ToTBellHop

Some more footage here from Disney, includes some closeups of the loading and other areas.

As a software developer, I like how they're using some old crusty laptop to program/code on-site lol..

Those plants definitely know they are loved but who will stroke them ever so gently after WDI hands this off to Ops? Is that why the International Program must restart? More Cast so we can ensure someone is available to love the plants?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom