News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

celluloid

😕Arent you basically confirming the point being made?

Velocicoaster had scenes filmed in 2020 for a 2021 ride opening. Cosmic Rewind had scenes filmed in late 2021 for a 2022 ride opening. All the GOTG actors weren’t together until later in 2021 so opening the ride as originally planned in mid 2021 wasn’t going to be possible regardless of how fast or slow Disney wanted to build.

It would be of filming was the only thing delaying it. That was the point of my post. Disney has dragging their feet on many aspects of this, like other major projects. Tron did not have any media filming needs...
Velocicoaster had human riders in Jan 2021. The ride was ready by the time commissioning vehicles through cycles were finished and Universal's wait was strategic for opening which is a business choice with uncertainty that is different from how parks and resorts are handling things now. The project was complete.

The spaceship that is just now being installed out front and courtyard work that is still not finished was not delayed by lack of media being in its final form. Disney drags feet on projects. Filming was not THE Reason. Even if media was all done, we would still be waiting on this thing. You were never going to see Disney rush to open this right after Rat, which they also dragged their feet to complete.

And as noted through other posters, they could have made it happen.

ToTBellHop

It would be of filming was the only thing delaying it. That was the point of my post. Disney has dragging their feet on many aspects of this, like other major projects. Tron did not have any media filming needs...
Velocicoaster had human riders in Jan 2021. The ride was ready by the time commissioning vehicles through cycles were finished and Universal's wait was strategic for opening. The project was complete.

The spaceship that is just now being installed out front and courtyard work that is still not finished was not delayed by lack of media being in its final form. Disney drags feet on projects. Filming was not THE Reason.

Of course. They didn’t want to open this last year when Rat was sitting idly waiting for an opening window that the company liked. I would have opened Rat for Summer 2021 and had GotG as the 10/1/21 opening, since it is HIGHLY marketable but they didn’t ask me. Rat simply isn’t drawing people in (and it doesn’t need to. Not every ride needs to be a blockbuster).

In any event, we are getting close on this one.

celluloid

Of course. They didn’t want to open this last year when Rat was sitting idly waiting for an opening window that the company liked. I would have opened Rat for Summer 2021 and had GotG as the 10/1/21 opening, since it is HIGHLY marketable but they didn’t ask me. Rat simply isn’t drawing people in (and it doesn’t need to. Not every ride needs to be a blockbuster).

In any event, we are getting close on this one.

It is also the same reason we are probably/likely not going to get Tron until next Spring or Summer. They likely don't want to have two marketable E tickets when they can spread it out to next year too. Even though the thing will be sitting idle by then.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Nova Corps ship installation begins at EPCOT's Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind​

Guardians-of-the-Galaxy_Full_46099.jpg

tommyhawkins

😕Arent you basically confirming the point being made?

Velocicoaster had scenes filmed in 2020 for a 2021 ride opening. Cosmic Rewind had scenes filmed in late 2021 for a 2022 ride opening. All the GOTG actors weren’t together until later in 2021 so opening the ride as originally planned in mid 2021 wasn’t going to be possible regardless of how fast or slow Disney wanted to build.

Well Nick I think hes just being helpful filling out the timeline.....so now we know he went from filming JW in November 2020 to filming Thor 4 in January 2021 this is crucial evidence 😂.

the Fact that Gunn wasn't ready to begin filming the ride footage until 2 months after Cosmic Rewind was meant to open, is irrelavant

ToTBellHop

It is also the same reason we are probably/likely not going to get Tron until next Spring or Summer. They likely don't want to have two marketable E tickets when they can spread it out to next year too. Even though the thing will be sitting idle by then.
The only thing that could accelerate TRON is the 50th, if they want something marketable during the final 6 months of the celebration. But if attendance is fine I agree that they may wait until May 2023 to open it. I doubt they’ve decided and are just working to finish construction to wrap those costs up in their FY 22 books.

Disney Analyst

celluloid

The only thing that could accelerate TRON is the 50th, if they want something marketable during the final 6 months of the celebration. But if attendance is fine I agree that they may wait until May 2023 to open it. I doubt they’ve decided and are just working to finish construction to wrap those costs up in their FY 22 books.

Being in the Magic Kingdom with the train being ready again, it will probably be much harder to staff as well. I am putting most of my thoughts on 2023, but for the spring.

James Alucobond

I am curious if this central support is just needed for assembly or if it will be staying in place.

I assume it would stay? It looks rather permanent?
There are themed connection plates that mate up perfectly with the truss. Pretty sure it's permanent, but as I noted above, there's a large piece of the ship that sits directly in front of it to hide it somewhat.

Last edited:

tommyhawkins

Velocicoaster had human riders in Jan 2021. The ride was ready by the time commissioning vehicles through cycles were finished and Universal's wait was strategic for opening which is a business choice with uncertainty that is different from how parks and resorts are handling things now. The project was complete.

The spaceship that is just now being installed out front and courtyard work that is still not finished was not delayed by lack of media being in its final form. Disney drags feet on projects. Filming was not THE Reason. Even if media was all done, we would still be waiting on this thing. You were never going to see Disney rush to open this right after Rat, which they also dragged their feet to complete.

"the point is, filming didnt take place until 10-12 weeks after the ride was due to open, so even if Disney hadnt dragged their heels with everything else they would have been waiting for the footage."

Is literally what I said. My point is Gunn's schedule was locked down, as he has tweeted extensively saying as much . and maybe Zoe Saldana didnt have 2 and half weeks to spare to go to australia and quarantine for a few days filming as gamora They could have spent more in CAPEX for the FY that ended in Sept 2021. but it would have been pointless as the ride would be sat mostly done with no footage and no way of syncing/testing, it was clear avantageous to no rush the work until now. Disney work five mins at a time. they could have spent the extra money on [somehow] filming [without Gunn] and completing in FY2021 and when the 50th started to bomb like it has they could have got this back on track and have it opened before Spring Break, but they never ever learn

celluloid

"the point is, filming didnt take place until 10-12 weeks after the ride was due to open, so even if Disney hadnt dragged their heels with everything else they would have been waiting for the footage."

That would only have validity if they retroactively took their time because they knew filming was getting delayed.

That is not the case. It is like having a group project in a school and you lucked out because the kid with the slideshow part of the project did not complete it due to extenuating circumstances, so ultimately it does not work out, even though you did not have your part of the assignment done on time and never planned to.

There are things out of Disney's control, but don't spin the valid point that Disney was not worried about this thing being right on time for the original supposed opening.

My point that I clarified was no less valid than yours. You can stop being condescending now.

lazyboy97o

That would only have validity if they retroactively took their time because they knew filming was getting delayed.

That is not the case. It is like having a group project in a school and you lucked out because the kid with the slideshow part of the project did not complete it, so ultimately he looks bad, even though you did not have your part of the assignment done on time and never planned to.

There are things out of Disney's control, but don't spin the valid point that Disney was not worried about this thing being right on time for the original supposed opening.
And of course the whole reason that Gunn’s schedule filled up was because he was fired. There was a whole period of time where someone else was going to direct the film segments. Not to mention how during the press for movies they love to tell stories about how despite all of the scheduling conflicts they were able to get this group or that group together for a few days to film little scenes and cameos.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Also, all the actors don't have to be together to video their parts... unless they need to wrestle with each other for some reason. It's all blue screens.

You don't see that with Breakout, because Disney made their eye gazes match, and so, they *appear* to be together.

You want to see what happens when you film separate scenes and it is obvious the people are not in the same room with one another? Take a ride on Gringott's. Hey Bellatrix, what are you looking at? It's certainly not Voldemort you're looking at when you look over your shoulder.

Of course, same issue when characters have to interact with CGI characters, the ones doing post production have to make sure everything aligns, isn't that right Dr. Nigel Channing?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom