News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

gorillaball

So I have been hearing that this coaster will have less screen use of the actors than Mission Breakout's main footage in the ride.

Anyone think there is any truth to this?

It makes it sound like 15 seconds, then we see some characters later and get them for five before I am guessing the reverse launch and then the finale, we get around 10 seconds. It seems like this is extremely short but kind of a bummer if the case that we only total a minute or a little over of time with the characters in the ride. But not totally hard to fathom. I would love for this to be wrong though.

Most of the witnessing of film characters will come from the preshow/queue, and even that seems to be Groot and Rocket's message and Glenn Close and similar characters that are not seen in the films.
I personally hope that is true, I don’t want over use of sitting and watching characters. Whether 2:30 or :30 is the right answer, I’d don't think anyone can say until we experience the entire transaction first hand.

tommyhawkins

This attraction was announced in mid-2017. It's horribly delayed, years behind any reasonable schedule, and Gunn is absolutely not the reason.

I honestly do not understand folks who knew WDW 10 years ago (let alone 20 years ago) and not notice that something is very wrong in the parks. I spent a significant amount of time in each park last year. Overall, MK and EPCOT are not pleasant experiences, despite the fact that each still hosts a plethora of classic attractions. AK and MGM have obvious problems, but they can still offer guests a very enjoyable time.
No. It was always intended to open August 2021. Don't take my word for it, just look through this thread .So no it's not years behind
Yes. Be mad at the way Disney structures their contracts and spreads the cost over as many financial quarters as possible. Be mad at them announcing projects 4-5+ years ahead of when they have any intention of opening stuff. But this isn't a new problem, that's come about over the past few years.

celluloid

I personally hope that is true, I don’t want over use of sitting and watching characters. Whether 2:30 or :30 is the right answer, I’d don't think anyone can say until we experience the entire transaction first hand.
That is fair. The preshow or queue videos could use them though. Having the cast helped drive the cost. These dome screen scenes are really interesting and I hope they convey the transition and senses of flight well.. I am wondering what those show scenes will feel like.

Last edited:

Hawg G

So I have been hearing that this coaster will have less screen use of the actors than Mission Breakout's main footage in the ride.

Anyone think there is any truth to this?

It makes it sound like 15 seconds, then we see some characters later and get them for five before I am guessing the reverse launch and then the finale, we get around 10 seconds. It seems like this is extremely short but kind of a bummer if the case that we only total a minute or a little over of time with the characters in the ride. But not totally hard to fathom. I would love for this to be wrong though.

Most of the witnessing of film characters will come from the preshow/queue, and even that seems to be Groot and Rocket's message and Glenn Close and similar characters that are not seen in the films.

Probably about right. Never listen to the Diznoids, they tend to sound like Disney PR.

celluloid

I don't think that filming can be a blame for the delay as Chris Pratt already stars in media for Velocicoaster that was produced during the Pandemic and Jurassic World and other projects still go.

Also, as noted, the actors are not in this as much as some are probably thinking.

Purduevian

Didn't someone mention that the color change could be related to how bright spaceship earth is now? If so it seems reasonable to me that copper looked great and was intended up until October 1st 2021. Once the lights were turned on for the first time, the copper might not have looked as intended, thus the switch to black.

lazyboy97o

Didn't someone mention that the color change could be related to how bright spaceship earth is now? If so it seems reasonable to me that copper looked great and was intended up until October 1st 2021. Once the lights were turned on for the first time, the copper might not have looked as intended, thus the switch to black.
The mentioned conflict was with the lighting. Either way, neither is all that reasonable as it shows a serious lack of coordination.

Purduevian

The mentioned conflict was with the lighting. Either way, neither is all that reasonable as it shows a serious lack of coordination.
Ehh... projects don't often have a ton of crossover in a large company. Kind of like GMR getting a big update with TCM then getting closed forever soon after. Lightning might have been one issue, but the buildings appearance at night might have also popped up. Regardless, a new paint color doesn't seem like a big deal. Tomorrowland seems like it went through like 5 of them in the past few years.

Bocabear

Ehh... projects don't often have a ton of crossover in a large company. Kind of like GMR getting a big update with TCM then getting closed forever soon after. Lightning might have been one issue, but the buildings appearance at night might have also popped up. Regardless, a new paint color doesn't seem like a big deal. Tomorrowland seems like it went through like 5 of them in the past few years.
And yet, it still looks like that...lol Tomorrowland is ready for some serious love... which should have all happened years prior to the 50th... It was too little too late. This will probably go down as the worst 50th Anniversary party for any Disney Park...
I know Covid was a thing, but they didn't even plan for much...beyond attractions that were necessary. Certainly not even close to what has been done in the past...

tommyhawkins

I don't think that filming can be a blame for the delay as Chris Pratt already stars in media for Velocicoaster that was produced during the Pandemic and Jurassic World and other projects still go.

Also, as noted, the actors are not in this as much as some are probably thinking.

Pratt filmed the scenes for VC, when JW was filming in London, it was the first movie to restart production. They will film footage mostly when all the actors are together since that is the alloted time for any given project and they cant break away from doing press/filming other movies.
they could have gotten some of the actors when Love and Thunder was being filmed in Australia, but Zoe Saldana was busy doing other things and clearly it was important to Disney or Gunn that he do the directing himself. the point is, filming didnt take place until 10-12 weeks after the ride was due to open, so even if Disney hadnt dragged their heels with everything else they would have been waiting for the footage.

in terms of people talking about how much the actors are in it, i have already spoken about how the ride pacing lends itself within the gravity building footage to probably be more Fly by type footage (like Tron has with the other light cycle but footage them on their ship, and Iron Man coaster), but what comes before in the earlier show scenes pre launch is anybodys guess

celluloid

Pratt filmed the scenes for VC, when JW was filming in London, it was the first movie to restart production.

Jurassic World: Dominion finished filming at the start of November 2020. Not 2021. 2020.

It all comes down to financial choices dragging their feet. This is why we are getting the ship installed now and the courtyard of the attraction not even finished. This is why Tron is still not open.

Last edited:

doctornick

Jurassic World: Dominion finished filming at the start of November 2020. Not 2021. 2020.

😕Arent you basically confirming the point being made?

Velocicoaster had scenes filmed in 2020 for a 2021 ride opening. Cosmic Rewind had scenes filmed in late 2021 for a 2022 ride opening. All the GOTG actors weren’t together until later in 2021 so opening the ride as originally planned in mid 2021 wasn’t going to be possible regardless of how fast or slow Disney wanted to build.

lazyboy97o

The whole point of a role like The Zach’s is to do that sort of coordination. When you decide to do that sort of central major undertaking then you should be aware of what is being impacted.

lazyboy97o

😕Arent you basically confirming the point being made?

Velocicoaster had scenes filmed in 2020 for a 2021 ride opening. Cosmic Rewind had scenes filmed in late 2021 for a 2022 ride opening. All the GOTG actors weren’t together until later in 2021 so opening the ride as originally planned in mid 2021 wasn’t going to be possible regardless of how fast or slow Disney wanted to build.
There is no rule that attraction filming has to occurring during the same time as a movie. It is convenient but that’s it. The Studio isn’t generously lending resources to the parks, they’re being paid for by the parks.

James Alucobond

Didnt expect that large truss to hold it up. Oh well..
Pretty sure it will be largely concealed from the front. What you're seeing go in is likely the part I've indicated here.
xandar_ship.jpg

There's still an enormous piece that goes in front of it that will greatly obscure the truss from many angles.

Stupido

There is no rule that attraction filming has to occurring during the same time as a movie. It is convenient but that’s it. The Studio isn’t generously lending resources to the parks, they’re being paid for by the parks.
While this is true, there are many other factors going on here. 1) There's a worldwide pandemic still going on, making it hard for people to get together in the first place. 2) This ride calls for all of the guardians to be together to film. That means needing to balance the schedules of at least 3 actors (if they're only using the team from the first movie), who have all been trying to navigate work in the pandemic. I mean Chrisp Ratt went from filming jurassic park pretty directly to Guardians, so the main star wasn't even ready until they filmed it. I know it's big to hate on everything disney does these days, but i think how they went about filming the media for this truly made the most sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom