News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Mac Tonight

Im confused does that mean the inside is almost done.. they just have to finish some show details and the outside.. then let it sit ala rat for a bit?
Considering they just finished the fiming aspects not that long ago, I would be more inclined to think they're just testing the track (and the motion aspect of the cars) to get the timing of the media elements locked in.

MrPromey

This is why I don't like how Disney markets their rides. People do expect more and their expectations goes higher and higher. I just wish they do what Universal does - be quiet. When Universal builds attractions, you don't really see or hear any buzz aside from fans speculating. You just watch how it progresses. When the queue building is done and the ride is 90% complete then that's the time you hype up the ride.
But what will they talk about at D23s?

Plus, Disney loves the publicity and mind-share they get by leaking all this stuff out gradually over the years. It creates a sense of hype around the parks which is particularly helpful at times when nothing new (and positive) is actually happening to promote.

In most recent years, we've had M&MRR and Rise, and most recently Rat for them to talk about* but my guess is they're kind of stuck in the mindset of the previous decade when they had to spin one new notable replacement in one park into a 5-7 year resort-wide event.

I mean, the quality and true value of all this stuff will be open for debate as more of it comes on line and we all know there is going to be another major drought once these current projects wrap and that most of us don't think they're going to be enough for the next decade but for once, they actually have timely stuff to promote that's worth promoting and I think it's hard to forget that when they started talking about all these projects back in the mid 2010s they didn't.

What they had was Avatar and a reskinned Malestrom (that they successfully manage to promote as an "addition") and nothing else coming anytime soon.

*No, I didn't forget about Toy Story Land. Like Disney did with that recent Star Cruiser Video, I'm just trying to pretend like it didn't happen.

Last edited:

MrPromey

aa or no aa, this ride looks awesome, even the preshow que area looks cool with the planetarium like ceiling element....cant wait to see it in person

Can't wait to see the actual experience vs. always-embellished concept art!

Sorry but with Disney, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me for the seventh dozen time and... I'm starting to catch on.

Last edited:

Squishy

1639436104330.png

DonB

As good as this attraction may be , it’s just another disconnected “ themed “ ride shoved in a park with zero connection to Walt’s vision. By the time Chapek price gouges every family wanted to come , there won’t be much of the original Disney World left . Including those like me who was a true fan.

PuertoRekinSam

As good as this attraction may be , it’s just another disconnected “ themed “ ride shoved in a park with zero connection to Walt’s vision. By the time Chapek price gouges every family wanted to come , there won’t be much of the original Disney World left . Including those like me who was a true fan.
I have a 11 year old son who loves Drax and a currently 4 year old daughter who loves rocket. And I am a big ‘old marvel fan boy from the early 80s.
What I see here in this attraction is something “built where the parents and children can have fun together”. .. which seems to be in line with Walt’s vision to me

MrPromey

I have a 11 year old son who loves Drax and a currently 4 year old daughter who loves rocket. And I am a big ‘old marvel fan boy from the early 80s.
What I see here in this attraction is something “built where the parents and children can have fun together”. .. which seems to be in line with Walt’s vision to me
They're saying the intensity of this will fall somewhere between BTM and RNRC.

That's a huge gap.

I think how far and in which direction will be what determines how much of a family attraction this turns out to be.

Last edited:

DonB

You may have a valid point as I’m from an earlier generation to be sure. As a highly invested DVC member I’m more upset about the obvious greed with the Disney upper management. We pay so much for our membership and our benefits have all but disappeared

raymusiccity

I actually remember the sponsors vividly. But I liked them because they were tied to the attractions. I never remember the attractions advertising the brand's products. (Not saying they didn't - rather that it didn't stick in my brain.). I remember thinking the Epcot attractions were forward looking, inspiring and cool. So a brand that supported that must be a good company.
No one complained about Ford's product at the '64 Worlds Fair. It was awesome riding in a full size convertible into the time tunnel!!

Attachments

• IMG_0458.JPG
    IMG_0458.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 113

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is why I don't like how Disney markets their rides. People do expect more and their expectations goes higher and higher. I just wish they do what Universal does - be quiet. When Universal builds attractions, you don't really see or hear any buzz aside from fans speculating. You just watch how it progresses. When the queue building is done and the ride is 90% complete then that's the time you hype up the ride.
They used to do it that way…they built to finish it and let the ride speak for itself…wasn’t all that long ago either

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In short, yes.

It is quite common for building specifications to require particular brands of a product to be used in construction (eg Microlam LVL, Architectural Parallam, Zip System sheeting, Simpson StrongTie, etc.) These specifications can come from the customer (in this case Disney) from the contractor, engineer of record, etc. In most cases, the contractor and engineer of record have the most input of what products get used.

These products are often covered in that companies logo for obvious reasons. Hiding them from public view would be costly and in some cases not possible.
“Or equivalent”

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm aware of what product placement is.

The new Main Street Confectionary is straddling that line with the Mars partnership. They're not just selling bags of Mars candy, they've included it in every single item they make (I think -- there may be a few exceptions). Even the cookies and cupcakes have some kind of Mars candy; you can't just buy a regular cupcake. It's going to have Snickers or Skittles on it.

It's certainly not standard product placement, and there's probably a better term, but it's something more than just selling their products.

And they don’t overprice anything, either…

D5F3850E-4283-4607-9358-10E73984FFDE.jpeg

One of the most egregious examples I saw. Maybe 12oz of M&M’s, with “special EARideacent coloring and a castle”, marked up about 4000% from the price of a movie theater box of M&M’s you can get at WalMart for $1.

ETA: But this really doesn’t belong in this thread. Let’s focus on the misplaced GotG instead, shall we? 😃

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My point is standard contractural language…

…Disney gives little control to contractors to pick ANYTHING…however. Not typical construction or design
No product substitution stipulations are pretty common when it comes to commercial construction and are not at all unique to Disney whom I have done engineering work for. I have had a case where and EOR specified a brand of nails and would not budge on the matter and this was on a rather pedestrian clubhouse for a new subdivision.

Residential construction tends to be much more flexible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom