News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

DrewmanS

No. I've known and loved EPCOT from when it was a building site. It was perfect. The non-EPCOT lovers should've build their own imbecile superhero princess park someplace else and left our heaven alone.
Then you realize that EPCOT's Future World of today resembles very little of the 1980's version. That version is not coming back, nor would it be successful today (sadly). EPCOT is a permanent Worlds Fair, but it's attractions will evolve to reflect modern society's desires and view of the future.

PrincessJulia1207

I don't think so.
People go on vacation for fantasy, to live and play in the worlds/ fantasies they love.
Disney is giving people what they want for this moment in time.

i agree, but these replacements make very little sense in the context of the surrounding theming (mickey ride in the chinese theater? GOTG in a california park and future-themed park? going through frontierland to get to the DLR star wars land?) and it looks very tacky

Mander

In the Parks
No
I have some mixed feelings on the changes. I love the concept of Epcot Center and am sad to see more of it go. I only have the faintest memories of it from when I was a kid. In my ideal world, a re-do of UoE with Ellen and Neil deGrasse Tyson that focused on updated information? That would have been awesome.

But GotG was also what I saw on my first date with my fiance, so it's got a special place in my heart. I also think Guardians and the MCU as a whole has more staying power than some other franchises (I'm looking at you, Avatar). It's been quite a few years since the first Iron Man and the MCU shows zero signs of slowing down! I'm also just so glad it's not looking like a drop ride and that they are using the building!

All in all, I'm excited! I'll reserve final judgement for when I ride it.

The_Jobu

i agree, but these replacements make very little sense in the context of the surrounding theming (mickey ride in the chinese theater? GOTG in a california park and future-themed park? going through frontierland to get to the DLR star wars land?) and it looks very tacky

Pictured here, a Disney executive reacting to the question of how the current additions fit into the park themes:

506.gif

lazyboy97o

Sometimes we have to think about what will entice the crowds instead of what a tiny unrepresentative sample of people online want.
This is such trite nonsense. The whole point of having a dedicated creative development team is so that they can create things that will entice the public, not just repeat what has been done.

At least they are attempting to tie it into Epcot better than Breakout is at CA.
It’s the same nonsense of them being in the park.

So Fitzy is behind this? How much you want to bet Quill (Tom) makes a crack about how boring EPCOT was back then. How he still has as job after the Imagination abomination is beyond me.
Rhode is involved with all Marvel projects. Fitzgerald doesn’t seem to like sharing.

Lots of wailing, gnashing of teeth, rending of garments... but it's just Disney being Disney, folks. Epcot's "true purpose"... was to make money for Disney. Still is. Will remain so.

So let it be written, so let it be done.
There is not one singular way to make money.

If you take a minute and think about it there never was a point to calling the place EPCOT. It is not now and never has been an Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow. It's just a name originally connected to Walt's dream (that wasn't anything like EPCOT Ctr.) and Epcot that was just a name that was familiar but didn't have the same mission as the alleged original had. As I said. EPCOT actually died with Walt Disney. It never happened.
Just because you don’t know how EPCOT Center connected to EPCOT doesn’t mean it didn’t.

The Empress Lilly

Then you realize that EPCOT's Future World of today resembles very little of the 1980's version. That version is not coming back, nor would it be successful today (sadly). EPCOT is a permanent Worlds Fair, but it's attractions will evolve to reflect modern society's desires and view of the future.
I somewhat enjoy current FW. No match for the original, but still a step up from Universal clone Fitzgeraldstan.

By chance, today I was checking out Futuroscope, the 30 year old EPCOT knock-off park in Europe. It has an exhibition about cities in 2050, a large outdoor modern art expo, constantly updated attractions (but yes, also IP-driven stuff). And as for energy, it has a lovely alternative energy source garden.
https://en.futuroscope.com/attractions-and-shows/discovery/the-energy-gardens

It works. And the world, even World, is big enough to both maintain a classic EPCOT and build all the superhero / Pixar / Star Wars / Princess stuff elsewhere.

HonorableMention

So let's talk about the actual ride. From what I remember @marni1971 saying it seems like it will be a lot of endless queues and preshows with a very short show presence in the on-ride experience.

If this is true that is very disappointing. I think Guardians could be done well, and queues and preshows can be great, but I really don't want a RNRC type ride where you're flying by cutouts/screenz.

Give me animatronics (more than just Rocket), give me sets, give me something that looks great.

Goofyernmost

This is such trite nonsense. The whole point of having a dedicated creative development team is so that they can create things that will entire the public, not just repeat what has been done.

It’s the same nonsense of them being in the park.

Rhode is involved with all Marvel projects. Fitzgerald doesn’t seem to like sharing.

There is not one singular way to make money.

Just because you don’t know how EPCOT Center connected to EPCOT doesn’t mean it didn’t.
If you can come up with a reasonable discussion, other then wishful thinking, of how EPCOT Ctr. can be connected to EPCOT, I'd be glad to listen but to make a park that they thought might be able to stay ahead of or at least in time with constant advances in technology was not a thing that was possible. They thought it was, but, it wasn't. It wasn't a community just a showcase for new ideas, not necessarily a working idea, just a new one and in order to have that businesses had to be willing to pay the price to display their new ideas. Timing and the computer age stopped that from happening. It was no longer, after a few years, able to compete with the Internet to get ideas out. However, that was the only really slim connection that it had to Walt's plan and dream.

The only thing that resembled what he had in mind was the name EPCOT. It wasn't EPCOT and never would be close to being it. It was a borrowed name that connected Walt to the park, not the concept. For the record, even Walt's plan didn't have the chance of a snowball in hell of succeeding over the long haul. It could be said that Walt passed away at the right time to prevent The Disney Company from being a company that used to be. The idea relied to much on the need of business to showcase their products. It turned out later to not be necessary at all. The internet took care of that.

Captain Neo

I don't understand why they didn't just tie it to Energy (Quill shows his team mates how we use energy on earth )or make that whole wing from UoE to Mission space knto a giant space pavillion

rudyjr13

This is great news. Current ride is a joke. I, as well as millions of others, love Guardians and will be fun to experience a new attraction based on their IP. It's not 1986 anymore. I was there as a 6 year old and it was neat but we have to move on with the changing times and environments kids are growing up in today. This, along with Ratatouille will get me to spend MORE time in Epcot in the future. Redo Imagination finally as well already.

rct247

I'm glad the original building is staying. I think it still fits well going forward. I'm at peace losing Ellen's Energy Adventure, but the concept of the an Energy pavilion and the ideals of Epcot are harder to let go of. I'm even ok with Guardians of the Galaxy being here IF it could find a clever way to incorporate energy into the story. I am also intrigued how they tied in the Guardians story with Epcot. I'm going to give this one a chance.

The_Jobu

This is great news. Current ride is a joke. I, as well as millions of others, love Guardians and will be fun to experience a new attraction based on their IP. It's not 1986 anymore. I was there as a 6 year old and it was neat but we have to move on with the changing times and environments kids are growing up in today. This, along with Ratatouille will get me to spend MORE time in Epcot in the future. Redo Imagination finally as well already.

Yeah, people love lots of stuff, doesn't mean it all belongs in Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom