News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Speedy71

What's the point of even calling it Epcot.
DDLmNvPXgAE62xw.jpg

misterID

Ok, so I get all the lamenting over the loss of what used to be Epcot. I'm sad about it too. However, to try and find a silver lining...is it possible that since the entire UOE building is the queue, that they will keep the dinosaurs in it and we will walk through that area instead of ride through it like we currently do? I mean the story has something to do with Peter visiting Epcot as a kid right? And they said something about this representing all of Epcot's values or whatever words they used. Maybe they will give us some of the old Epcot as part of the queue/ride??? Maybe some of the Horizons stuff will be back as Peter remembers his childhood. Maybe instead of saving the universe, the Guardians of the Galaxy are here to save Epcot and will restore some of what has been lost??? I'm grasping at straws I know, but they could handle this in a way to really pay homage to what was and in my book that would be a huge positive.
I would love to board Horizons and it turns into a coaster. That would totally redeem them.

CinematicFusion

Fun, if forgettable popcorn flicks.

EPCOT however was the greatest park ever build. The continuing destruction of which remains a travesty of the highest order. An act of barbarism.

Guardians of the galaxy I wouldn't say is forgettable, not even close. Box office doesn't suggest that and I love the world, the humor....reminds me of the comics Heavy Metal from the 80s. Glad it's coming to Epcot and killing that stale vibe it's had for the last 10 years in future world. The Ellen ride was one of the worst rides of all time....only beaten by the new imagination ride. That needs to go next

misterID

The loss of UOE in itself is not really that disappointing to me as it was my least favorite attraction of all the original Epcot attractions. What saddens me is that this change signifies more than any other change (including Frozen), that the original vision of Epcot as a theme park is truly dead.

Epcot Center was forward thinking, inspirational, and did not need to rely on IPs' to draw. The original vision and scope of Epcot Center was far to big of a challenge to maintain. Technology evolves so quickly that maintaining the original vision not is financially feasible. Even a for company as large as Disney. This is a sad reality, but Epcot can never be what it was intended to be. Ironically, it never was.
This argument has never worked, having to keep up with technology. We still haven't reached the tech displayed in HORIZONS.

FigmentJedi

Ok, so I get all the lamenting over the loss of what used to be Epcot. I'm sad about it too. However, to try and find a silver lining...is it possible that since the entire UOE building is the queue, that they will keep the dinosaurs in it and we will walk through that area instead of ride through it like we currently do? I mean the story has something to do with Peter visiting Epcot as a kid right? And they said something about this representing all of Epcot's values or whatever words they used. Maybe they will give us some of the old Epcot as part of the queue/ride??? Maybe some of the Horizons stuff will be back as Peter remembers his childhood. Maybe instead of saving the universe, the Guardians of the Galaxy are here to save Epcot and will restore some of what has been lost??? I'm grasping at straws I know, but they could handle this in a way to really pay homage to what was and in my book that would be a huge positive.
If the Imagineers were smart, they could justify any throwback in other projects they want by saying "Star Lord loved this as a kid, let's reimagine it for a new generation" and that's how we get Dreamfinder and Figment back together.

Goofyernmost

What's the point of even calling it Epcot.
DDLmNvPXgAE62xw.jpg
If you take a minute and think about it there never was a point to calling the place EPCOT. It is not now and never has been an Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow. It's just a name originally connected to Walt's dream (that wasn't anything like EPCOT Ctr.) and Epcot that was just a name that was familiar but didn't have the same mission as the alleged original had. As I said. EPCOT actually died with Walt Disney. It never happened.

CinematicFusion

And GotG fits in with EPCOT because...?

Because the idea of Epcot is over. This isn't 1982, that day was long ago and will have a very special place in my heart.

The new vision is adventure in fantasy worlds like marvel, Star Wars, Pixar. Avatar. Potter showed the way and that will be the vision for the moment in time now.

In twenty years...it will be Something else. I like what they are doing now

bclane

If the Imagineers were smart, they could justify any throwback in other projects they want by saying "Star Lord loved this as a kid, let's reimagine it for a new generation" and that's how we get Dreamfinder and Figment back together.
Yes!! I mean, maybe I'm crazy but this could become the permanent nostalgia location for all the things that made Epcot unique.

Epcot82Guy

My only shred of hope here (and with our Frenchy Rat) is the story line details are very loose. If they can make some shred of tying it to the real world - like a pavilion to science fiction, to film CGI, to SOMETHING that at least bridges Epcot to the attraction, it would be palatable. But, this quandry that we just don't know how to make popular attractions based on the real world is really disturbing and lazy - given some very popular attractions, some even newer, are just that (Kilamanjaro, Soarin', Space Mountain, BTMRR, etc.). I'll hold out a shred of hope... but, a very, very pessimistic and thin thread.

CinematicFusion

because they know what they're doing (forcing so many IPs in places they don't belong/match) is incredibly tacky and transparent

I don't think so.
People go on vacation for fantasy, to live and play in the worlds/ fantasies they love.
Disney is giving people what they want for this moment in time.

In 1982... Epcot gave what people wanted and it was awesome.
In 2050.... it will be something else and Disney will change accordingly.

Today.... it's potter, Star Wars, avatar, marvel. Amazing worlds created by amazing people we get to explore.
I can't wait!

Oddysey

I would love to board Horizons and it turns into a coaster. That would totally redeem them.

Horizons the most spectacular attraction with the largest scope that Disney ever created, but the attraction would still exist if the cost to maintain were significantly less than the profits generated by its inclusion in the park. Instead of saying that maintaining Epcot Center's original vision is not "financially feasible", I will revise it to maintaining Epcot Center's original vision is not "maximally productive" for a publicly held company focused on bringing profits to shareholders.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom