News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

lazyboy97o

Didn't you notice the finish and polish of the interior of that gravity building? Looked like NASA assembly hanger... I bet they blew a hundred million on the structure and infrastructure itself.. just think of the kind of environmental and safety systems that space must have...
Black intumescent paint everywhere!

celluloid

I think I have the solution...

Disney already doesn't act like its former self, so maybe the answer is to just stop pretending and own up to it. Take the UNI approaach of 'this is what we are now...'

So let's take the lead of the film studio.. and just drop Walt from everything :) just call it "Disney World+" and we can all embrace the new product free from any burdens of the past :)

That is a tad too creative. It will actually all soon be known as Lightning Land.

Rich Brownn

They should because its so odd hearing "enjoy the rest of your day at Jurassic World" in one spot and then "enjoy the rest of your day in Jurassic Park" at some other exhibit next door in the same land. o_O
Well, in theme parl storyline, this area is actually neither of the places shown in the film. So you could think of it as lands within the "theme park"

tommyhawkins

The point is that the parks dig down, regardless of whatever excuses you try to concoct. The water line is not a constant and is something you need a geotechnical report to determine. The level of a nearby man made pond doesn’t tell you anything nor does the fact that a building pad was created mean anything.
Surely you know that the water table doesn't sit on a gradient like the grading of the park, which drains towards the lagoon? Giving examples of Parks who have gone down relatively short distances into land they had already raised significantly when they build the park is not comparable to digging down below the water table whatever depth it would take to hide the guardians gravity building to keep Epcot fan boys happy, especially when the area of land is hemmed in by water management, but you go off about digging down 100ft or whatever you are proposing

1634488443640.png

J4546

now that theyve boxed out play and are really moving on the landscaping around the area, hopefully pretty soon. But they still have to shoot the footage that will be playing on the ride, so we have to wait till then

Armerius

now that theyve boxed out play and are really moving on the landscaping around the area, hopefully pretty soon. But they still have to shoot the footage that will be playing on the ride, so we have to wait till then
yeah the shooting of the movie starts in november..for 6 months . so at some point they will . hopefully sooner then later.

and apparently GUNN was planning to film the scenes for the ride this year... so lets hope.

Lil Copter Cap

Is there any reason, beside guest sentiment, for this to open sooner than EPCOT’s 40th on Oct 1, 2022?

Unless they have some other festivities planned for it’s 40th celebration? With all the pushing of opening dates, it only seems logical that this ride won’t open until they can claim it as commemorative of an anniversary.

Eh, stay tuned I suppose.

vikescaper

Is there any reason, beside guest sentiment, for this to open sooner than EPCOT’s 40th on Oct 1, 2022?

Unless they have some other festivities planned for it’s 40th celebration? With all the pushing of opening dates, it only seems logical that this ride won’t open until they can claim it as commemorative of an anniversary.

Eh, stay tuned I suppose.
I was going to say October 1 but then I remember some people saying that it is going to open sooner than most expect. I think the date I guessed is pure fantasy. Honestly, I think it is going to be October 1.

ppete1975

The only other building that’s comparable to this in scale is RnRs show building, and it’s not exactly hidden either. Tron is a smaller building and they still have complaints about the big ugly box.

Disney really only has three choices… 1) don’t build big coasters, 2) give up the indoor aspect and make something visible like Velocicoaster, or 3) build big ugly boxes and try to make them disappear with blue paint. No matter which they pick people will be unhappy.
RNR doesnt really count since in theory its in a studio, the studio buildings really dont need to be hidden, since if we were in a backlot this would be normal. Now could they have themed it better... sure

October82

I know what futurist architecture is -- that's not really the point.

This is all opinion, of course, but for me, anything they built of that size in that location would detract from Spaceship Earth. It's mainly an issue of scale. Of course they could have built something that's better than what's there, but nothing was going to be good at that size and location.

Regardless, my original point was about the building that exists; that decorating it would have been even worse than leaving it painted blue. I wasn't trying to argue that they couldn't have built something better. But I believe the whole idea of a building of that scale in that location is fundamentally flawed. There are better options, but no great ones.

The best architecture happens when it seems there are no great options. There are plenty of existing, and similar, structures that it's clear that, if they had chosen to, they would have done something great here.

I would love to see what Imagineering could have, and probably did, come up with. I'd be shocked if the Big Blue Box was part of the pitch for this, and not a cost cutting decision late in the process.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

The best architecture happens when it seems there are no great options. There are plenty of existing, and similar, structures that it's clear there were great options. I would love to see what Imagineering could have, and probably did, come up with. I'd be shocked if the Big Blue Box was part of the pitch for this, and not a cost cutting decision late in the process.

I'd love to be able to see that too.

EDIT: If that exists, maybe @marni1971 will be able to share it one day down the road.

Last edited:

Hotamber

I think at night it will work as rumor is it will be a giant projection screen. I personally would be down for Epcot dance parties with music videos and guardian clips on the blue screen but it will most likely be a star field

Giss Neric

Just for the hell of it guys,,when do you think the ride will be open? i believe on Q2 2022... predictions?
I initially thought this will open October 2022 for EPCOT's 40th but since this will open before Tron then probably Memorial Day (May) or earlier. Aside from Typhoon Lagoon opening, this is legitimately the only new offering for the 50th so they better open it asap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom